Izze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ILX
Has Honda said anything about what platform the next gen Civic will be built on?

I've heard rumblings that it could be a modular platform that'll underpin the Accord also, but has there been any confirmation?
Sponsored

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
The concept rides on a lower/wider global "world car" platform that will underpin every 10th gen Civic.. including sedan, coupe, hatch, Si and Type R models. Honda hasn't said too much about it other than it is "based on a compact platform that targets benchmark levels of efficiency, dynamic performance, safety and manufacturing productivity."

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
The concept rides on a lower/wider global "world car" platform that will underpin every 10th gen Civic.. including sedan, coupe, hatch, Si and Type R models. Honda hasn't said too much about it other than it is "based on a compact platform that targets benchmark levels of efficiency, dynamic performance, safety and manufacturing productivity."
Want to find out more about this new platform. Is it lighter, stiffer for example.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Want to find out more about this new platform. Is it lighter, stiffer for example.
Yea supposed to be both lighter and stiffer which should mean way better handling though it has a 3 inch longer wheelbase, not sure how that will affect the weight distribution and handling overall.

It's supposed to be the biggest redesign in the history of the Civic.

Guzmannn

Threads
Reaction score
Yea supposed to be both lighter and stiffer which should mean way better handling though it has a 3 inch longer wheelbase, not sure how that will affect the weight distribution and handling overall.

And it's supposed to be a redesign in a better redirection - towards where it started. LOVE this quote from the other thread by American Honda Motor Co. Executive Vice President John Mendel:

“I just read the articles in magazines you guys write that say we’ve lost our way; we’ve lost our sportiness,” he said. “I don’t think we were as sporty in this last generation as we once were.”

In response to demand, Mendel says Honda is, “taking the Civic back in a direction more towards where it started.”

“It’s what you guys have been asking for,” he said.

OP
OP

Izze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ILX
Longer wheelbase usually means more stability at higher speeds, but also means not quite as nimble sometimes.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
3" longer wheelbase is a lot. I don't think it is significantly larger than the old one (maybe reduced overhangs?) but the longer wheelbase should improve its handling a bit, and it definitely improves legroom.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
3" longer wheelbase is a lot. I don't think it is significantly larger than the old one (maybe reduced overhangs?) but the longer wheelbase should improve its handling a bit, and it definitely improves legroom.
I don't mind a longer wheelbase as long as it doesn't result in longer overhangs. That alwaysmakes the car look horrible. The shorter the overhangs the better it looks, maybe that's why I like the concept so much!

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV

Where did you see that it's 3" longer wheelbase?

If it's true, then hoping this doesn't mean a heavier platform too. The Civic's never been a heavy car and we know we're not getting some powerful engine (beside Type R) so the car needs to stay relatively light to stay fun.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag

If it's true, then hoping this doesn't mean a heavier platform too. The Civic's never been a heavy car and we know we're not getting some powerful engine (beside Type R) so the car needs to stay relatively light to stay fun.
"This new Civic is based on an all-new, more rigid and lightweight platform, that takes an innovative approach to body construction" - John Mendel

I'm assuming this means a lighter platform. The soon-to-be-released Honda Pilot lost almost 300 pounds for it's new generation, despite adding a number of features.

If they can get the Civic back under 3000 pounds, I'll be happy.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000

The Honda press release on the Civic concept stated it will have a longer wheel base. I'll have to look for the exact quote where i saw 3 inches. Either way it's a concept so we will see if it translates directly to the production version.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8374-en

"The Civic Concept provides a tantalizing glimpse forward to the thrilling design direction for the all-new 10th-generation Civic lineup launching in the U.S. this fall. Featuring a longer wheelbase and lower, wider stance, the new Civic emphasizes its aggressive personality and the engaging experience it will provide behind the wheel. Proportionally it boasts a longer hood, a shorter front overhang, a more set-back greenhouse and a shorter rear deck, lending the Civic a more athletic and "in motion" appearance."

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
The Honda press release on the Civic concept stated it will have a longer wheel base. I'll have to look for the exact quote where i saw 3 inches. Either way it's a concept so we will see if it translates directly to the production version.
Ah. Some companies make their concept cars bigger to make more of an impression. Wonder if any of that is at work here. I think the current gen's size is already big enough. Much bigger and it might start to feel like a different segment of car.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
"This new Civic is based on an all-new, more rigid and lightweight platform, that takes an innovative approach to body construction" - John Mendel

I'm assuming this means a lighter platform. The soon-to-be-released Honda Pilot lost almost 300 pounds for it's new generation, despite adding a number of features.

If they can get the Civic back under 3000 pounds, I'll be happy.
300 pounds is a substantial weight cut! I know the Pilot is a much heavier car to begin with so if the Civic can lose even a couple hundred pounds that'd be sweet. It'd make even the heaviest configuration drop below 3000 pounds.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Ah. Some companies make their concept cars bigger to make more of an impression. Wonder if any of that is at work here. I think the current gen's size is already big enough. Much bigger and it might start to feel like a different segment of car.
Found it!
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/honda-civic-concept-new-york-auto-show/index.htm

Consumer Reports also says it will be a lightweight platform. I'm not sure if this is all speculation or where they are getting this info. I haven't seen any direct quotes from Honda on this but here it is:

"Said to be the most comprehensive redesign in Civic history, the 10th-generation Civic will be built on an all-new lightweight (yet stiffer) platform for more responsive handling, and it will ride on a three-inch longer wheelbase. Slightly longer overall, the new Civic gets LED lighting front and rear, and a more sophisticated look. The redesign will include more body styles and variants than before, including a four-door hatchback and sporty Type R performance model."

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, but did they actually say the Civic concept they showed was riding on the new platform? I know it's supposed to preview the new look but did they just fit a new body on top of the existing chassis?
Sponsored