Newbie here - advice on Honda Sentinel Cancellation?

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Hi to ALL -

Newbie here - new driver of a Civic Si Sedan 2019 here. Just got a 36-month lease yesterday.

I know this probably may not be the best way to start of my first post, but just need advice on how to tackle my problem.

... make no mistake, I like the Civic Si. Already 70-mi on the Odo, and am loving it...

That said, since this was my first lease, I asked my sales representative to tack on a pre-paid maintenance contract for the duration of the lease. He added a contract called "Honda Sentinel." I didn't even know it was called "Sentinel" until I was talking with Finance on going through the paperwork.

Anyways, the contract was signed. I got home and started checking what the "Sentinel" is all about. Unfortunately, this only covers Oil Change, and other stuff that I don't need like Tire Protection, Roadside Assistance, etc. Checking the Honda Financial Services, the sales representative should have given me the Maintenance Contract (oil change, tire rotation, safety inspections, etc.).

I have included the URLs below:

Sentinel: https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Sentinel_Coverage.pdf
Maintenance: https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/leasing/maintenance-program

That said, during my lunch break at work, I called up Honda Financial Services and asked them to cancel. I was told that since the contract is fairly new, my record is NOT yet in their system and I would have to call the Finance manager at the dealer.

Thus, I got in contact with the Finance department at the dealer, and was told that this could have been a miscommunication with the sales representative, etc. I emphasized that I never specifically asked for "Sentinel;" I asked for "pre-paid maintenance." He said that he will talk with the sales representative once he is back (he is out today and tomorrow).

... Having heard of horror stories with dealers, especially AFTER the sale has been made OR contract has been signed, just wanted to know what contingencies/options that I have without going to the dealer?

BTW, I am based in Southern California (if that helps) near the Los Angeles area.

Appreciate the help... Thanks in advanced!!!
Sponsored

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I dont know, man... someone correct me if im wrong, but imho.... It seems like this maintenance program is way more than you need for a lease.

Honda Civic 10th gen Newbie here - advice on Honda Sentinel Cancellation? Screenshot_20190114-213831_Chrome

I wouldnt prepay for all that stuff. Ive got 5000 miles on my car and my oil life is still 50%. Im expecting to pay for 3 oil changes/tire rotations over the 3 year lease... and thats about it?

You should have very little maintenece during the lease.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
I dont know, man... someone correct me if im wrong, but imho.... It seems like this maintenance program is way more than you need for a lease.

I wouldnt prepay for all that stuff. Ive got 5000 miles on my car and my oil life is still 50%. Im expecting to pay for 3 oil changes/tire rotations over the 3 year lease... and thats about it?

You should have very little maintenece during the lease.
Hi... Thanks for the response.

If that is so, should I just cancel right away and not bother with it? As in, I'll just pay from my pocket for the scheduled maintenance services during the duration of the lease?

If so, what is the best way to get this out of my lease contract?

Thanks,

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hi... Thanks for the response.

If that is so, should I just cancel right away and not bother with it? As in, I'll just pay from my pocket for the scheduled maintenance services during the duration of the lease?
Thats what i am doing. How much is this maintenance program costing you?

If so, what is the best way to get this out of my lease contract?
Well... i dont really know... outside of what you've already done. Get your salesperson or the finance manager on the phone and try to get it corrected before all the paperwork goes through? Im not sure theres much more you can do. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more advice.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Based on my searches, it seems that it is possible to cancel it within 60-days with a full refund. Anyone know the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Based on my searches, it seems that it is possible to cancel it within 60-days with a full refund. Anyone know the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
Just go to the dealership, sign the form and get it cancelled. Been there, done that. Not sure though how will the refund go through since it is a lease. Check with the FM before you leave. Enjoy the car and sleep well. oh, and yeah, forget about maintenance plan, not worth it

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Thanks guys... The question then becomes: do I still need to go to the dealership? Quite a hassle...

Once I receive the pamphlet, etc. couldn't I just call Honda Financial Services?

wickerbill

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2002 Honda S2000
Country flag
I had a dealer lie to me about the terms of a Honda extended warranty when I bought my wife’s pilot. When I got the paperwork from Honda a few weeks later and read through it and realized it wasn’t what he told me I kept reading and found the terms to cancel. I never called the dealer. I contacted Honda and canceled it through them. I had financed the car through Honda so they just ended up crediting the amount I had paid to our account so the car was paid off a few months earlier than it would have been otherwise.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
I had a dealer lie to me about the terms of a Honda extended warranty when I bought my wife’s pilot. When I got the paperwork from Honda a few weeks later and read through it and realized it wasn’t what he told me I kept reading and found the terms to cancel. I never called the dealer. I contacted Honda and canceled it through them. I had financed the car through Honda so they just ended up crediting the amount I had paid to our account so the car was paid off a few months earlier than it would have been otherwise.
Thank you for the response. I will then wait for the paperwork for Honda and do the same thing. *fingers crossed*

Eryan36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si sedan
Country flag
Once you get your paperwork just cancel it, not a big deal, nothing to fret over.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
I got the pamphlet last week, and called Honda Financial Services this morning. I asked them to cancel the contract. They told me that I need to go to the dealer for the cancellation. I asked if there is any other way to cancel without the hassle of going to the dealer, and was told "none." *ugh*

We are all in the 21st century where most things can be done online, and I have to go the dealer to cancel? *ugh*

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the pamphlet last week, and called Honda Financial Services this morning. I asked them to cancel the contract. They told me that I need to go to the dealer for the cancellation. I asked if there is any other way to cancel without the hassle of going to the dealer, and was told "none." *ugh*

We are all in the 21st century where most things can be done online, and I have to go the dealer to cancel? *ugh*
Call them and ask if you can do it via email. My dealer forgot to have me sign something, so he emailed it to me, I printed it, signed it, and scanned it back to him on my phone. I ask to talk to the finance people first.

And I echo what everyone else said, don't need a maintenance contract on a lease.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Quick update peeps...

I finally got the nerve to just get on with this... Took off work early and headed to the dealer. They made me wait for about 30-mins before a Finance person got to me...

When I said I wanted to cancel, they said, why don't they upgrade my plan for the same cost... I replied that my Si is a 36-month lease, to which he reverted that most people would keep the Si after the lease, hence, me keeping the plan is a good idea.

Anyways, after a little back and forth - finally signed the Cancellation Form and got it canceled.

However, mine is a lease... So, I was told that my lease payments won't change. I won't also be getting a check ($1,500) for the refund. I would understand, but wasn't that clear (it was late in the day) - it will be reflected in my final lease payments (???). Hhhmmm... Maybe I should reach out to Honda Financial Services and get a better answer?

Cheers,

DonnieBravvo

First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Quick update peeps...

I finally got the nerve to just get on with this... Took off work early and headed to the dealer. They made me wait for about 30-mins before a Finance person got to me...

When I said I wanted to cancel, they said, why don't they upgrade my plan for the same cost... I replied that my Si is a 36-month lease, to which he reverted that most people would keep the Si after the lease, hence, me keeping the plan is a good idea.

Anyways, after a little back and forth - finally signed the Cancellation Form and got it canceled.

However, mine is a lease... So, I was told that my lease payments won't change. I won't also be getting a check ($1,500) for the refund. I would understand, but wasn't that clear (it was late in the day) - it will be reflected in my final lease payments (???). Hhhmmm... Maybe I should reach out to Honda Financial Services and get a better answer?

Cheers,
Hey im going through the same thing right now. I am trying to get this sentinel protection and Honda care canceled on my lease contract. They also explained to me if I get it cancelled, it will not change my monthly payments but it will reduce like 2-3 payments at end of your lease. Idk how that makes sense.

did you get an update on what this means?
Sponsored