bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
If I buy new wheels that have the same dimensions (specs) as the stock wheels, ie 18x8, 50mm offset, can I swap wheel sets without needing to do an alignment?

The idea is I keep the stock wheels and put some track tires on them. In theory, this would help me save some money as I'm not paying someone to switch either tires or wheels every time I wanna do autocross.
Sponsored

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure you only need a wheel alignment if there's a drastic change in suspension - swapping wheels that are the same spec would change nothing suspension wise.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Yes.

The question that may grow is... is the alignment you've chosen the best one for your needs? Life is a compromise. First step of AX or track driving is someone picks up another set of rims for dedicated tire use. Then it becomes.. boy I wish I have more negative camber.. or maybe some toe... or both.. Then the tradeoffs come as to tire wear and ride characteristics change. What is great for a sticky AX tire on a dry course may not be ideal for when its snowing and you have snow tires on.

That said, to the Original question.. yes, you are fine. No need for alignments in this case.

OP
OP

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Yes.

The question that may grow is... is the alignment you've chosen the best one for your needs? Life is a compromise. First step of AX or track driving is someone picks up another set of rims for dedicated tire use. Then it becomes.. boy I wish I have more negative camber.. or maybe some toe... or both.. Then the tradeoffs come as to tire wear and ride characteristics change. What is great for a sticky AX tire on a dry course may not be ideal for when its snowing and you have snow tires on.

That said, to the Original question.. yes, you are fine. No need for alignments in this case.
For the forseeable future, it will be pretty light track use. And I'll be in Hawaii, so no snow. I could probably get away with a more track oriented alignment (though not all out) on that island cause it's a pretty amicable driving environment.

HellaBagged

HellaBagged
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If I buy new wheels that have the same dimensions (specs) as the stock wheels, ie 18x8, 50mm offset, can I swap wheel sets without needing to do an alignment?

The idea is I keep the stock wheels and put some track tires on them. In theory, this would help me save some money as I'm not paying someone to switch either tires or wheels every time I wanna do autocross.
You don't need an alignment. However, if you add camber and daily drive your car... kiss your wheels goodbye! I was rocking slight camber in the rear for a little for fitment. My tires were TOAST after 4 months(ish). I had toyo proxes, so not cheap ones either.
Sponsored