Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
a tech friend of mine seems to always be working on a few hyundai problem cars a month. the worst case was metallic debris in the block o_O
Yep, and service bays at Honda dealers are empty cause they're perfect.;)

I love my Honda but newflash there are other brands out there that are good too.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran a Hyundai based forum for over 15 years (elantraclub.com) and the members there had been overwhelmingly happy with their cars. At one point before I archived the site we had 20,000+ members so I think that's a good sample size.

Guys look, I'm old... And I'd like to think I'm objective. I've owned a three Hondas and an Acura. All were great cars. I've owned a Hyundai and a Kia. They were equally as reliable. The Hondas were better on handling but Hyundai has come a long way these days. The N may not be the equal to the R but I don't think Hyundai is marketing it that way. It's only these online reviewers. For the price or less than the price of a GTI, you get a car that totally blows something like that away. The R is definitely a better performer. But, the N may appeal to people who maybe think the R is a bit over the top styling wise. I personally dig the whole 3 door idea just for the coolness factor.

The R is the King, but I certainly think the N is still worth considering for the price. And the warranty is great. I think you guys that say "I wouldn't even think of buying an N" may want to take a test drive when they hit dealer lots.
well said. I feel like that hate on the N, are like the STi owners that hate on the R.

The N seems like a good car and I welcome the owners.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yep, and service bays at Honda dealers are empty cause they're perfect.;)

I love my Honda but newflash there are other brands out there that are good too.
my point was this is an engine component quality control issue. in no way am i saying hondas are perfect but debris in the block :doh:
i've owned other cars than hondas but it's ironic he works at a honda dealership and hardly works on them (excluding basic maintenance).

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
I ran a Hyundai based forum for over 15 years (elantraclub.com) and the members there had been overwhelmingly happy with their cars. At one point before I archived the site we had 20,000+ members so I think that's a good sample size.

Guys look, I'm old... And I'd like to think I'm objective. I've owned a three Hondas and an Acura. All were great cars. I've owned a Hyundai and a Kia. They were equally as reliable. The Hondas were better on handling but Hyundai has come a long way these days. The N may not be the equal to the R but I don't think Hyundai is marketing it that way. It's only these online reviewers. For the price or less than the price of a GTI, you get a car that totally blows something like that away. The R is definitely a better performer. But, the N may appeal to people who maybe think the R is a bit over the top styling wise. I personally dig the whole 3 door idea just for the coolness factor.

The R is the King, but I certainly think the N is still worth considering for the price. And the warranty is great. I think you guys that say "I wouldn't even think of buying an N" may want to take a test drive when they hit dealer lots.
And this explains your stance a whole lot better.

My dad has an Optima, and it’s an appliance that has been in the shop a lot for transmission woes. It’s value has tanked worse than any car he’s ever owned, but he paid cash for it new, and will probably drive it as long as it’s feasible.

Back on topic, there is no way I would ever take a Veloster N over a GTI. Hyundais have the lowest quality interiors in the biz. The GTI is best in class in that regard. Far better than the CTR, in fact. They a lso have a fantastic aftermarket.

CTR is Golf R money in the real world. AWD, larger turbo, and many more options. It’s not a track star, but there’s not a better jack-of-all-trades daily driver.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hyundais have the lowest quality interiors in the biz. The GTI is best in class in that regard. Far better than the CTR, in fact.
I have to agree with that, lol. Golf R to me has always felt like a compromise between the STi and the CTR...you get AWD and a touch of the lux feel with the Golf R's interior...imo

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still wouldn't buy a Hyundai. Friend at work bought a brand new 2012 Sonata 4cyl. After 50,000 miles the engine quit. Always had it serviced and oil changes at dealer.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
I think you guys that say "I wouldn't even think of buying an N" may want to take a test drive when they hit dealer lots.
No thanks.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Wow. struck a nerve there my apologies but I have to go with my experience within the industry over this past decade and hands down the worst cars I have dealt with are hyundai's. I dont care what internet oogling you've done. I have had to have the conversations with the owners of the cars and I refuse to ever be a face for hyundai again. Take it or leave it but as recently as 3 model years ago they were shit. I doubt it has changed as drastically as your "evidence" suggests. I wouldn't own one if given to me and that comes from an unbiased approach that got changed into how I feel about the brand based on ACTUAL experience selling service on them....
You didnt hit a nerve, im just pointing out the facts in front of me. You probably serviced a bunch of anomalies if what you're saying is really true. I travel a lot in my line of work and im always picked up by uber drivers in their hyundai sonatas which are at 150K+ miles that still drive great and are comfortable. On top of that I know actual people who have owned and currently owned Hyundais and they all were reliable as hell. You're kidding yourself if you think modern Hondas are so much more reliable than a modern Hyundai, facts show that isnt the case at all. Ill take a collection of reputable sources anyday over a supposed service manager who experienced all these issues. Hondas are not as reliable as you think anymore, its just the facts bro and im not even hating, just the way it is.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely do not agree. Even the Fiesta ST interior crushes the Veloster. Hyundai/Kia plastics are just bad!
yeah, my kia sorento's interior creaks a bit...and ride is horrible...probably trade that in eventually, but it's paid for :D

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well said. I feel like that hate on the N, are like the STi owners that hate on the R.

The N seems like a good car and I welcome the owners.
Same! There’s no reason multiple species of similar cars can’t coexist. Competition is good after all - that’s what leads to improvements down the road!

I talked to a few Subaru owners and they admit that a lot of the WRX/STi owners are uh.. very closed minded. I for one love the WRX/STi and hope some of the Subaru owners love the CTR.
Sponsored