New vs Used vs N

1. Packetloss

Packetloss New Member

First Name:
    King
    Car(s):
    2010 Honda Fit Sport
    Trying to decide between New '19 Type R, Used '17/'18 Type R, or a Veloster N. This would be my new daily. Needs to accommodate a 3yr old boy.

What are y'all's thoughts? What price would you recommend a used Type R over the new model? Or if anybody has been in the new veloster, is the back seat big enough for actual use?

Thanks for any feedback. It's all appreciated!

2. .grimace

.grimace Senior Member

First Name:
    Byron
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2016 Cayenne GTS
    Veloster wouldn’t be in my choices so that’s out.

2019 at MSRP is what I’d do unless you can get a 17’-18’ private party 33-34 which after tax on a new one is 6-7k off. If you pay 34 for a used one at a dealer it’s only a 2-3k difference.

frtorres87 and Packetloss thanked this.
  3. Captaindicki

Captaindicki Senior Member

Whatchoo Talkin ‘Bout Willis
    First Name:
    Jon
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    The R should suit your needs quite well, plus it’s a Honda (hey we’re a Honda community:)) I wouldn’t get a used one, as they pound the piss out of them

Packetloss thanked this.
  4. jayevo23

jayevo23 Senior Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Car(s):
    Evo
    If the price is right I would go used with low mileage. I've come to the conclusion that's probably the route I'll go in the future. As long as the car hasn't seen any track days it should be good. On top of that, the car will still be covered under warranty incase any issues pop up after taking ownership. I wouldn't get anything with more than 5k miles on it.

Packetloss thanked this.
  5. Micah

Micah Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(now) '17 Traverse LT AWD
    That is a lot of car for a 3 year old. Maybe start him off with an EX 2.0 instead.

6. jinderC

jinderC Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Type R 2001 S2000 2017 Si Coupe
    Veloster N?
    Come on man :doh:

Packetloss thanked this.
  7. gtman

gtman Senior Member

Worker
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Ok, I get it. Honda fan boy site. But, me personally, I wouldn't turn an N down. Biermann knows what he's doing.

The Type R is amazing but for a much more budget friendly price the N is pretty damn good.

8. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    Its pretty much a common understanding that the Type R is a good performance car. Sure the styling is very polarizing to me but a lot of people dig it and if you do, its a great car. Honest opinion though, I wouldn't be so quick to discount the Hyundai at all. They're warranty is the best in the business, its considerably cheaper than the Type R (sells for the price of a GTI that and delivers near Type R performance), and it sounds awesome. Just test drive both and see which one makes you smile more and offers the most bang for your buck. I know this is a Honda forum and there is a lot of fanboy loyalty here, but objectively the N is a formidable competitor that anyone who is looking at a CTR should be considering unless the Honda loyalty runs in their veins and they know what the want.

9. bouford

bouford Senior Member

First Name:
    Felipe
    Car(s):
    AP1/FK8/GE8
    #9 bouford, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    personally, two doors (3 doors for the N) + child seats are a big no no for me. my kids are relatively small as well but nothing beats having a door on both sides when loading/unloading them. their seats fit easily in my18 and in/out is almost as easy as the wife's odyssey. some photos of their seats below. i also test fit my daughter's larger recaro booster before buying my18 :thumbsup:

in terms of price, used under MSRP or new at MSRP is a good deal considering many owners have paid ADM (including myself). gl!

daughter's milano:
    20180709_154114-960x1280-jpg.jpg

son's rc-t:
    1-jpg.jpg

FifStreet, cococly, 69L46Vert and 2 others thanked this.
  10. RedGiant217

RedGiant217 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda Accord
    You know you still have to pay tax on privately purchased vehicles, right? In Indiana, they make you pay the tax when you register the car. Can't speak for other states.

:topic:
    I think this would be a pretty difficult decision. Considering the 2017/2018 have barely depreciated, I'd go for a new one @MSRP over one that has potentially/probably been abused. It will likely hold value well unless something changes in the next couple years.

As for the N, I haven't been in one so I don't know. I'm actually not a fan of the veloster styling; as much as people seem to like it. That said, it has a lot less obnoxious styling than the Type R so it won't stand out so much. With the 3rd door, I'm sure you could make it work with car seats pretty easily.

Packetloss thanked this.
  11. OP
    Packetloss

Packetloss New Member

First Name:
    King
    Car(s):
    2010 Honda Fit Sport
    Woke up to a bunch of great and informative replies. So far I've gathered some points below.

Where I live, Georgia, has a 1-time 7% ad velorem fee on new or used car purchases instead of a sales tax.
    At 30k, the N might not have room for my kid's seat.
    At <33k, a used R might have been tracked or beat on. Lacks volume knob and Honda Sensing suite.
    At >37k, a new R might suffer ADM. I went to my local Honda dealer and they valued my 2010 Fit at about 4k trade in value.

Ultimately I won't be making a purchase till I get back home next spring, but thank y'all for giving me stuff to think about.

12. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Senior Member

Network Designer
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel

The OP did not post mentioning anything about price as part of the comparison...that's a whole different question when comparing these. And regarding the "fanboy" comment, you must be speaking for others here and not me. I think for myself, consider thoughts and opinions from various sources, do my own independent research, then form an opinion. Herd mentality has gotten us into a lot of trouble lately.

averagetrackdriver thanked this.
  13. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Senior Member

Network Designer
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
    nice job. Recaro, AND color-matched !

bouford thanked this.
  14. .grimace

.grimace Senior Member

First Name:
    Byron
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2016 Cayenne GTS
    Nevada doesn’t which is why I said it. I know places like CA so but you just put a lower price on the bill of sale to save some.

15. RedGiant217

RedGiant217 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda Accord
    Oh nice! Wish we had no sales tax here.

Don't write a false sale price on the title...it's a felony