New vs. Used Aftermarket Performance Parts?

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Many people mod their Si and end up trading it in or selling it, and then parting out all their aftermarket goodies, so there seems to be a decent market for secondhand parts. What are your guys' opinions on purchasing performance parts that were used?

Something in me personally prefers spending the extra cost of getting new parts, but I don't really have the spare change to prioritize buying all the parts I want brand new and would take awhile to slowly buy them one by one. If I were to consider purchasing some, if not, all of of the parts second-hand it would definitely save me a couple bucks and I would be able to get what I want sooner than buying new. I'm skeptical about pretty much everything other than electronic devices like Ktuner/Hondata because they don't actually suffer from wear and tear like bolt-ons do.

Here are the reasons I am skeptical of buying used parts:
1.) You can't guarantee the condition of a used part
2.) You are not the original owner and run the chance of being denied customer support if it is faulty or defective
3.) Newer stuff is just nicer and more fun to buy and install

With all that being said, is the premium worth paying for used performance parts? Or is there no shame in opting to buy them used? Are some parts better second-hand buys than others?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Me personally? Depends on the part. I have no problem buying used parts that are more or less meant to last the life of the car, like body panels, chassis braces, interior parts.... etc etc

But i usually won't buy consumable items like springs or dampers, tires, lighting... things that I feel can have unknowable levels of wear and tear or hidden damage.

Intakes, exhuast, and certain engine components, more of a case by case basis. Some I have no issue buying used, others I'd prefer new.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Pretty much what Vyzitor said, it depends on the part.

*springs aren't really a wear item and I wouldn't be opposed to buying those used.
With intakes, worse case, buy a new filter.
Exhausts are more of a wild card as they can be ran cat-less which greatly accelerates wear.

OP
OP
si_well

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Me personally? Depends on the part. I have no problem buying used parts that are more or less meant to last the life of the car, like body panels, chassis braces, interior parts.... etc etc

But i usually won't buy consumable items like springs or dampers, tires, lighting... things that I feel can have unknowable levels of wear and tear or hidden damage.

Intakes, exhuast, and certain engine components, more of a case by case basis. Some I have no issue buying used, others I'd prefer new.
Yeah I guess that's where I'm at with it too. Consumable items is a good way to phrase it too. I would definitely get a Ktuner used if I can, but would only buy springs and other consumable items brand new unless someone is selling it brand new in box with a receipt. I was specifically considering buying like a PRL CAI, PRL fp/dp, and a FMIC used, so that's what I'm feeling iffy about.

mikegold

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si coupe, 2018 GT3, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 1990 300ZX, 1986 300ZX
Country flag
I've bought everything from wheels to a supercharger kit used. If its in good shape and a good deal, it makes sense to save the money.

OP
OP
si_well

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Well just to update everyone, I ended up buying a used Ktuner last week completely regret doing it given the situation I'm now in.

So last week I bought a used Ktuner V1.2 with the TSP stage 1 tune already installed on it from someone in the classifieds for $330. It was a pretty good deal I thought and was definitely enough of a savings compared to buying new. However, turns out that it actually had a MAP stage 1 tune that is incompatible with my year and MAPerformance says they will not swap out that tune for my 2020 Model year's tune. The seller claims it was a genuine mistake and he actually thought he had the TSP tune, and I kind of believe him. Worse yet though, the Ktuner device itself was not in good working order as the female port you plug the usb wire into was malfunctioning and actually broke off into the Ktuner itself when I tried wiggle it to get a stable connection. I believe he intentionally withheld that part.

So I paid $330 for the thing, bought the TSP stage 1 tune for it for $80 and just paid $12 in shipping to send it back to Ktuner to fix, which they cant even guarantee. When everything is said and I ended up spending $412 on it, have had nothing but headaches buying it used, and can't even guarantee it will work again.

Granted, this is just an anecdotal experience, but if I were to do it over I would have chose to spend the $38 extra to get it new for the peace of mind that I won't have any issues with it.
Sponsored