New to the RL car world

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
Hey everyone, so as you can see by the title I'm new to the car world. I say RL because growing up I always fantasized about cars and driving so I lived it through games. Just recently (few weeks ago I'd say) I got my first NEW car. I had a older 2007 Honda Accord but I just got my gen 10 Civic. I'm in love with it. It's almost better than I imagined. But I'm not gonna lie, I know very little about cars themselves. Sure I can drive, but I want to know the machine. So any words of advice from yall experienced car guys? Anything is welcome. I did do drivers training but I come to conclude it is almost a waste. I slept the whole class and managed to pass without a problem whilst being a top student. Maybe not a waste, but could be done better. Point being, I know general maintenance. (How to do it is another story because my mom when I grew up always had this theory that if "they break it it's on them not us" so I've only had to take it to a dealer ship and never do any real work.) sorry for all the text. Trying to have a good first impression. If I'm disrespectful at any point please put me in check lol.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Well..Congrats..my HB sport is my very first brand new car as well.

Now, back to the business. If you really are as new to cars as you sound like right now, go read through the owners manual and note that there is a "break in" period for the first 600 miles of the car. Also, go learn about basic maintenance and know which part needs maintenance at what mileage. That will save you alot of headache, both money and time.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Hey everyone, so as you can see by the title I'm new to the car world. I say RL because growing up I always fantasized about cars and driving so I lived it through games. Just recently (few weeks ago I'd say) I got my first NEW car. I had a older 2007 Honda Accord but I just got my gen 10 Civic. I'm in love with it. It's almost better than I imagined. But I'm not gonna lie, I know very little about cars themselves. Sure I can drive, but I want to know the machine. So any words of advice from yall experienced car guys? Anything is welcome. I did do drivers training but I come to conclude it is almost a waste. I slept the whole class and managed to pass without a problem whilst being a top student. Maybe not a waste, but could be done better. Point being, I know general maintenance. (How to do it is another story because my mom when I grew up always had this theory that if "they break it it's on them not us" so I've only had to take it to a dealer ship and never do any real work.) sorry for all the text. Trying to have a good first impression. If I'm disrespectful at any point please put me in check lol.
you need an american car in your life, not a honda and definitely not a civic. that way, when it breaks down, you can learn the hard way, F.O.R.D - Fix or Repair Daily!

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you need an american car in your life, not a honda and definitely not a civic. that way, when it breaks down, you can learn the hard way, F.O.R.D - Fix or Repair Daily!
LOL, as i was reading this i was shaking my head and getting a nice hot aggressive reply ready, but then the comment took a pleasant turn.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a youtube channel called ChrisFix. He puts together very good videos on how to do work on your own cars. Some very basic things like washing and waxing correctly, to more complicated stuff like replacing wheel bearings. I have yet to watch one of his videos that I disagree with the information he presents.

Really the best way to learn is to do... but I don't suggest you start ripping your brand new Civic apart. Maybe buy yourself a cheap project car to have some fun with. You can find some really fun cars for $2000-4000 these days. Mazda Miata, Mustangs, Camaros, Dodge Neons (don't knock until you track race one, they corner like a champ), and I even see 02-03 WRX in that price range these days.

Forums are a great place to get information, but you really have to take forum info with a grain of salt... There are a ton of people on forums that have no idea what they are talking about.

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
Haha I see what you did there! I love it xD fits perfectly for the way I learn.

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
There is a youtube channel called ChrisFix. He puts together very good videos on how to do work on your own cars. Some very basic things like washing and waxing correctly, to more complicated stuff like replacing wheel bearings. I have yet to watch one of his videos that I disagree with the information he presents.

Really the best way to learn is to do... but I don't suggest you start ripping your brand new Civic apart. Maybe buy yourself a cheap project car to have some fun with. You can find some really fun cars for $2000-4000 these days. Mazda Miata, Mustangs, Camaros, Dodge Neons (don't knock until you track race one, they corner like a champ), and I even see 02-03 WRX in that price range these days.

Forums are a great place to get information, but you really have to take forum info with a grain of salt... There are a ton of people on forums that have no idea what they are talking about.
I see what you mean. Makes since. I've always wanted to do a project car but didn't want to start out with a project car. Figured it'd be better to have something reliable I can drive and than start a project. Also, looking at some of these forums. I see a lot of that. Not necessarily me calling them out by any means, but people getting called out or everyone having varying opinions. Someone or plenty of people have to be wrong if everyone has that many different answers. Just my theory. But im assuming like dealing with a patient, cars are good to have second opinions on

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just be careful telling your family members how much you know about cars.... You don't want to end up being the family mechanic.......trust me lol

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
Well..Congrats..my HB sport is my very first brand new car as well.

Now, back to the business. If you really are as new to cars as you sound like right now, go read through the owners manual and note that there is a "break in" period for the first 600 miles of the car. Also, go learn about basic maintenance and know which part needs maintenance at what mileage. That will save you alot of headache, both money and time.
I remember the break in period but I totally forgot about it when I got the car...I hope I didn't damage things. I'm up to 800+ miles now. Drives great so hopefully I'm safe to assume nothing bad? Lol. May need to double check things. Also will do on manuals. I've been told that from a few mechanic friends. Seems pretty self explanatory and simple yet a lot of people don't do so. Id like to really get to know my car though so I'll have to get the manual out. Thanks a lot :)

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
You wanna learn something about cars?

Get that old Accord back and start ricing it out.

I say that in jest... (but not really.)
Hahaha that'd be something fun to do. Don't think many people would expect an accord to be riced out xD a civic sure but Accord? Idk haha it would be funny to do a 240 type setup on the body. Tear off the front bumper nd slam it with a annoyingly huge rear spoiler (wing?).

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
Just be careful telling your family members how much you know about cars.... You don't want to end up being the family mechanic.......trust me lol
Haha well I'm already on the path to being the family doctor..so why not throw that in too? Jk. I'll keep the car knowledge on the downlow as I learn. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP

cbtn98

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P
Love the blue on your civic btw. Couldn't find the blue. So I got the red. Feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. But she's pretty. I won't complain too much.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag

Chrisfix is good

Also recommend Eric the car guy