First Name
Renaud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Greetings fellow forum dwellers,

I thought I would make an introductory post and share with the interweb my experience as a new Honda Civic owner...

First some background. I'm a car enthusiast, have been ever since I could buy car magazines and drool over all the cool rides i would one day own/drive. I am on of those non brand specific gear heads who enjoys driving all kinds of different vehicles, and enjoys them for different reasons. Some examples, I have owned a '95 Mustang GT 5.0....loved the V8 burble and the instantaneous torque at any rpm. I have fond memories of my 2004 WRX as well...getting walked by Geo Metros below 3,500 rpm but then... turbo bliss and awesome awd in the snow. I've enjoyed VAG products including a 12V VR6 Jetta, Audi A4s (2.8, 3.slow, and 2.0t APR Stage 1). I've had one Honda product before who left me neither impressed nor disappointed, a 2006 Acura TSX automatic, as a loaner car for a few months... My last ride was a loaded 2008 BMW 328ix wagon with the sport package and my wife was driving an Audi A4 Avant 3.0 V6.

We loved both cars but came to realise that at their advanced mileage (about 150k), maintenance was starting to really add up to the equivalent of a substantial monthly payment, while the probability/possibility of one or both of our rides not starting one morning was steadily increasing... So we made a life style and financial decision to try out leasing but, careful as we are, the combined MSRP for both of our cars had to stay in the low 40s...

My wife picked the 2018 Nissan Sentra with some nice creature comforts... no comments please, she loves it and it serves her purpose perfectly :)

That left me with about $21k and a mission to find a car that would be fun to drive, with good fuel economy and decent cargo space and accessibility (2 kids who play sports and a boxer), that wouldn't suck in the snow (fwd or awd) and that I could be happy with leasing for the next 3 years. I embarked on that quest enthusisastically and test drove a few contenders, including the Mazda 3 HB with the 2.5 liter, the Hyundai Elantra GT, the Kia Soul! with the 1.6t, the Subaru Impreza 2.0 and of course the Civic X Hatchback Sport with the manual...

This was one of the easiest automotive choices I have ever had to make.... The Subaru was way underpowered, the Mazda 3 drove very nicely but felt and looked stodgy for my taste, I liked the 1.6t in the Soul and especially the Elantra but I was not able to get the cap cost down to the $21k neighborhood, even after incentives...so.... I picked up an Aegean Blue Hatchback 6sp and must say it is everything I was looking for... Fun, simple, roomy, economical...just perfect for my needs. My boxer loves the back and looking our the rear window...and the kids have remarked how the handling seems as good or better than the Bimmer in how it throws them side to side...yes I'm raising gear heads and we have fun sometimes...lol Frankly I even like the mildly angry exhaust note and the interesting styling...it's growing on me...

Anyway, these are my first very qualitative thoughts on the car, I'll be visiting here regularly to check on other people's rides and maybe the occasional issue that may pop up in the next three years...

Cheers!

RR

Honda Civic 10th gen New to Honda - Got a '18 Civic HB Sport 6MT IMG_1468

Honda Civic 10th gen New to Honda - Got a '18 Civic HB Sport 6MT IMG_1467

ajsti24

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 STi Type RA, 2017 MB-AMG GLC43, 2019 Giulia
Vehicle Showcase