New SI Coupe Owner

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Greetings from a new SI owner in Maine. I bought a 2018 black SI Coupe Oct. 12. Still only has 500 miles on it. Have to say it is a super fun car to rip around in. Still learning the ins and outs of it. I think the wife and I are going to fight over who gets to use it. It's not a daily driver yet and I plan on keeping it out of the snow/salt this winter. I did get the Honda floor liners (high wall) and one for the trunk. Only other things so far is plasti- dipped the wheels and emblems.
I have a 69 Corvette convertible and this Honda is as much, maybe more fun than the Stingray. My daily driver in winter is a 2003 Civic DX sedan with 230,000 mi. Also a 2007 Tacoma, A 77 CJ5 and my wife's new 2018 4runner. Man I have to point out the Toyota paint is far superior to the SI. It already has flaws and a what appears to be an ultra thin layer of clear coat. but I plan to correct the paint and ceramic coat it myself when I get the chance. So just wanted to check in with you all and say thanks for all the great info I've read here on CivicX. I've already learned a ton from you folks. Happy Motoring!, Rick
Sponsored

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good choice on the black Si coupe. I hope that you enjoy detailing your car often :p (coming from another black Si coupe owner)

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
black 2 door si's are the sexiest body style of this gen for sure! and yeah the paint really sux dix its thin and the metal is flimsy amd cheap feeling but i guess thats what helps keep it light too.

with maine though id worry about all that salt amd rust bubbles starting to form on the quarters especially with how thin the paint is on these.

OP
OP

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Thanks Dr and Boost. Yea, the salt can be a death sentence. In the big towns here they use a liquid calcium chloride poison something. It's the worst imaginable. But Gotta hand it to Honda for corrosion resistance, at least in my 2003 anyway. I just welded in some patches on the rear quarters last week so it shows they hold up pretty well for 15 years. More people here are using Fluid Film for rust protection.. It washes off eventually but it's hard to beat inside channels and box frames and such. I did some of my cars but not the SI. Lots of covers/shields under there.
Sponsored