Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can empathize and will be sad to see you leave the platform. I try not to think about how much I’ll have into the car after all the upgrades are complete :(

This is the car I THOUGHT I was buying when I got my Type R. And consistent with the sad reality of the stock car's not-ready-for-track-day state of prep, it will take another $60K to get mine track ready, and that's a conservative number. Not trying to hate on the Type R sold by dealers, it's a wonderful street+ car, and just what 98% of its buyers want. It's only the other 2% of us who are disappointed. Which is why I will be selling my car after 5 months of ownership. Hey, if I needed a street car, the Type R would be my choice. But I have a street car and want a track-ready car and I just dont have the requisite $98K to buy one, or $60K to upgrade mine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kilo959

kilo959

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R; 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Country flag
I find it interesting they're using the OE Honda Intercooler for the Type R TC.

I'd like to get my hands on these: HPD high strength 3rd and 4th gears
Same, i’m wondering if that front grill is different to offer more airflow.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the car I THOUGHT I was buying when I got my Type R. And consistent with the sad reality of the stock car's not-ready-for-track-day state of prep, it will take another $60K to get mine track ready, and that's a conservative number. Not trying to hate on the Type R sold by dealers, it's a wonderful street+ car, and just what 98% of its buyers want. It's only the other 2% of us who are disappointed. Which is why I will be selling my car after 5 months of ownership. Hey, if I needed a street car, the Type R would be my choice. But I have a street car and want a track-ready car and I just dont have the requisite $98K to buy one, or $60K to upgrade mine.
Buy a used ND Miata for $18k and throw in $5k for track mods. Done.

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
You cant fix stupid. If Honda put the turbo by the firewall like VW does with the Gti and Golf R, like Mitsubishi did with the Evo X,like Ford does with the Focus RS, like Renault does with the Megane , there wouldnt be this overheating problem

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Dude, what? I get that you WANT a track car, but how on earth did you think you were buying one?

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Dude, what? I get that you WANT a track car, but how on earth did you think you were buying one?
Probably not realistic to expect a full on track car out of a Type R.

But I can empathize with him. I, too, expected the CTR to be a bit more capable than what was delivered. What was advertised as a potentially potent track weapon ended up coming in short.

billabongrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 92 Integra track rat
Country flag
I empathize as well. 90% of the reason I bought the type r was because like it’s namesakes, you could drive them to work 5 days a week, then track them on the weekends. Maybe change wheels, tires and maayyyybe brake pads. (This is what I did on my 13 mustang and it worked fine) integra type r’s could, and still can, handle being revved to high hell for prolonged periods, and had minor issues. Civic type r, apparently when flogged well, can almost do 1 session.

my track integra, turbo’d, can handle plenty of sessions on track with an eBay radiator as the big upgrade, and garret turbo that wasn’t stock, in 85+ weather. Civic type r, chassis 25+ years newer, b20 (yes bad idea) 20+ years older can finish a track session. I think there’s a fundamental flaw in design and I hope something as simple as a thermostat/fan switch can help, but am reluctant to believe that.

I often think of turning the civic into a dedicated track weapon, but if it can’t stay on track, stock, for a 20-30 minute stint, i think this may not be a worthwhile platform to start with.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
LOL what? 60k to make your car track ready? Come on now...

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
LOL, please point me in the direction where I can buy a fully track prepped car for 40k. Brand doesn’t matter. In fact, I’ll even raise that bar- how about for 60k?

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I hate to say it, but Honda simply doesn’t care about the 2%. Honda is not a niche company. Any car out there that you buy for track use will need extensive mods.

I empathize as well. 90% of the reason I bought the type r was because like it’s namesakes, you could drive them to work 5 days a week, then track them on the weekends. Maybe change wheels, tires and maayyyybe brake pads. (This is what I did on my 13 mustang and it worked fine) integra type r’s could, and still can, handle being revved to high hell for prolonged periods, and had minor issues. Civic type r, apparently when flogged well, can almost do 1 session.

my track integra, turbo’d, can handle plenty of sessions on track with an eBay radiator as the big upgrade, and garret turbo that wasn’t stock, in 85+ weather. Civic type r, chassis 25+ years newer, b20 (yes bad idea) 20+ years older can finish a track session. I think there’s a fundamental flaw in design and I hope something as simple as a thermostat/fan switch can help, but am reluctant to believe that.

I often think of turning the civic into a dedicated track weapon, but if it can’t stay on track, stock, for a 20-30 minute stint, i think this may not be a worthwhile platform to start with.
What’s a better platform? Not looking for old, used cars, but something new off the dealer lot. Serious question. I’d imagine an ND Miata even with 5k dropped in it will still be slow. It might not overheat. But I doubt it’ll do faster laps than a CTR.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
I drove my '94 Miata R package straight onto the track from the showroom. No problems. Ditto my '03 Evo and my '08 BMW M3. They did lap after trouble free lap. No problems with fuel starvation, limp mode, overheating, excessive brake wear, excessive and uneven tire wear. I am not talking about being a competitive race car, just being able to circle the track at high speed at a typical low key track day for more than 4 laps. The Type R can't do it, I have tried. So have others, just check the numerous posts

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
^It's hard to reconcile posts like that with the many videos on YouTube from people like Eddy Segal who, with a relatively minor amount of upgrades, seem to be able to turn lap after lap at a very, very fast pace.

I've raced my CTR in the summer in Florida at Daytona and Firm and the coolant temp guage hasn't moved. At Firm my wife and I drove a combined seven 20min sessions. Sure, it wore through the brakes and tires, but what do you expect with a 300hp+ car?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New race-ready Type R available to Honda Racing Line customers*****

, the all-new Type R TC race car is available to Honda Racing Line members with racing licenses exclusively through HPD****
lol, so not me

billabongrob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 92 Integra track rat
Country flag
What’s a better platform? Not looking for old, used cars, but something new off the dealer lot. Serious question. I’d imagine an ND Miata even with 5k dropped in it will still be slow. It might not overheat. But I doubt it’ll do faster laps than a CTR.
A track car doesn’t need thousands of dollars in upgrades, generally. I consider HPDE a track event, and if you frequent those event. Mustang GT -> high temp brake fluid and then consumables unless you want to ‘mod it’
Friend #1: 2018 Mazda 3 base-> brake fluid and turns laps all day.
Miatas all day off the showroom floor. Obviously Porsche’s can turn em all day out of the box, but that’s a different story.
Hell, I have no doubt a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, base civic/si can all go out and turn laps all day.

most of what I mentioned aren’t high strung turbo 4 cylinders though. Anyways... I like the build sheet and if they start selling bits in this package I’ll probably bite. I was very intrigued at the SI prepackaged race car at 50-ish because it’s a damn steal.
Sponsored