OP
BobbyA

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
Thanks for the link and clarification the gains I have seen are quite impressive for sure, but it does seem to be quite a hassle to get the mix just right. I suppose this system isn't for everyone, but it is definitely interesting to learn about. Thanks again...
Once you get the hang of it (using the Hondata or similar Tuner to take the readings, it's pretty easy) and I think if you have a local e85 retailer - the formulation may not change that much, from season to season. Regardless, taking the reading is about 1-2 minutes of effort. For 65whp gains, it is one of the
Lol it's already been tested by every tuner and those who have ran full E85 had clogged injectors and misfires. This is fact and is all over FB
Thanks, I'll err on the side of caution. Added 93 Octane to the mix a few days ago...
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobbyA

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
I believe the fuel system is one of the last remaining parts that have yet to enter our aftermarket support. Along with anything to do with our transmission internals. I'm sure with time we'll have options, but I have yet to see any at this point.
Hey have you seen these yet? on eBay. I'm curious what is the additional flow they offer over stock cc & lbs/hr

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Hey have you seen these yet? on eBay. I'm curious what is the additional flow they offer over stock cc & lbs/hr
Those look like port injection injectors. Dont think those will be compatible.

PRL is releasing a kit to change our cars from direct injected to port!

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Si, 2012 Honda Fit, 2008 Ridgeline
Country flag
I'm wondering, if you get the flex fuel kit, can you still run a full tank of 93 and just stick to a normal map when you don't want to use the flex fuel application? I only ask this because what if we travel somewhere where e85 isn't readily available :rolleyes1:.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm wondering, if you get the flex fuel kit, can you still run a full tank of 93 and just stick to a normal map when you don't want to use the flex fuel application? I only ask this because what if we travel somewhere where e85 isn't readily available :rolleyes1:.
So with the flex fuel kit on Ktuner you would enable flex fuel and choose the flex fuel basemap. That means it automatically adjust the tune to your ethanol amount. So you can run straight 93 or up to E40 blend. As most pump gas has at least 10% ethanol

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So with the flex fuel kit on Ktuner you would enable flex fuel and choose the flex fuel basemap. That means it automatically adjust the tune to your ethanol amount. So you can run straight 93 or up to E40 blend. As most pump gas has at least 10% ethanol
Ooh right on. I figured the biggest point of the kit is the sensor and tuning for it. So no need to switch different maps then, regardless of if you fill up with 93 or do a E37 blend, it'll automatically compensate in the map for that then, correct?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ooh right on. I figured the biggest point of the kit is the sensor and tuning for it. So no need to switch different maps then, regardless of if you fill up with 93 or do a E37 blend, it'll automatically compensate in the map for that then, correct?
Correct for the flex fuel map it'll automatically compensate whatever is in the gas tank

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah that would be just plain stupid if you could only run the mixture/E85. A lot of ppl use the kits for track use to give it a little extra oomph and run pumped gas on the regular. Like I only have 8 stations that have E85 in a 100 mile radius of me. Also I am not sure if you have ever seen them, but there is a Flex Fuel badge on a lot of Chevrolet's because their designed to run both (gas & E85) like this system.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Your tuning solution should be able to tell you what your ethanol content is reading at, we recommend nothing more than an e37 blend, at that point there is no extra power to be had and you are taxing your fuel system. There is currently no solutions out there for larger injectors, fuel pump, etc. As the market matures you will see these become more readily available.
(Corrected)
Exactly what PRL said!

Stick to the "recommended" ethanol mixture. E85 has a lower overall energy density than pure pump fuel. Pure gasoline contains approximately 125,000 BTUs per GA / while E85 contains approximately 84,000. This means that a greater volume of E85 must be utilized to realize the same energy content. So, the system would need a HIGHER requirement for fuel flow to make the same power.

When a solution to the "Port Injection" controller becomes available, you would be able to use the E85 mixture without a Flex Fuel Kit. Anyone desiring cleaner/cooler combustion and polished valves?....

Last edited:

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stick to the "recommended" ethanol mixture. E85 has a lower overall energy density than pure pump fuel. Pure gasoline contains approximately 125,000 BTUs per GA / while E85 contains approximately 84,000. This means that a greater volume of E85 must be utilized to realize the same energy content. So, the system would need a HIGHER requirement for fuel flow to make the same power.

When a solution to the "Port Injection" controller becomes available, you would be able to use the E85 mixture without a Flex Fuel Kit. Anyone desiring cleaner/cooler combustion and polished valves?....
So it mainly makes more sense to just wait until bigger injectors or other options are available, since we can't go over the E37 mix. The kit would be more utilized. Honestly just mixing seems like a pain, unless you're going to the track or want a high dyno number. I'm all for it once a better fuel system becomes available.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it mainly makes more sense to just wait until bigger injectors or other options are available, since we can't go over the E37 mix. The kit would be more utilized. Honestly just mixing seems like a pain, unless you're going to the track or want a high dyno number. I'm all for it once a better fuel system becomes available.
Typically, those that use an E85 blend will have a custom tune for it (when they need it) AND another tune for just pump gas. There isn't anything wrong with your current fuel system; given that you would still be on the stock turbo. When you go big (on the turbo) you will want the better fueling option, whether it be the Flex Kit or a Port Injection System. There are numerous other modifications that would need to be made to compliment that goal as well.
Another note. Although the 1.5L models have small turbos, your Si is still capable of producing enough torque to require upgrading the clutch. So, your power level is already there w/o having to use an E85 blend.
If you were to go with the upgraded option of a Gen 2 GTX2860R (for example), you would really want the Flex Kit. There is a Port Injection project in the works, but it lacks the Controller, Connections, and Tuning at this time. So, production there is very "unknown" - or going to be a costly venture seeking out such a system.
For now, run strong but safe - and best of all keep your combustion cool.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Typically, those that use an E85 blend will have a custom tune for it (when they need it) AND another tune for just pump gas. There isn't anything wrong with your current fuel system; given that you would still be on the stock turbo. When you go big (on the turbo) you will want the better fueling option, whether it be the Flex Kit or a Port Injection System. There are numerous other modifications that would need to be made to compliment that goal as well.
Another note. Although the 1.5L models have small turbos, your Si is still capable of producing enough torque to require upgrading the clutch. So, your power level is already there w/o having to use an E85 blend.
If you were to go with the upgraded option of a Gen 2 GTX2860R (for example), you would really want the Flex Kit. There is a Port Injection project in the works, but it lacks the Controller, Connections, and Tuning at this time. So, production there is very "unknown" - or going to be a costly venture seeking out such a system.
Lol people be running full E85 Boom tunes with Hondata and well boom goes the rods and other engine parts. Some even say full E85 custom tune is fine on stock turbo even though they can make the same power with E30 blend.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol people be running full E85 Boom tunes with Hondata and well boom goes the rods and other engine parts. Some even say full E85 custom tune is fine on stock turbo even though they can make the same power with E30 blend.
That would make for a very lean condition.
I try and focus on prividing better informed information and not get tied up in what others may have or not have done.

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ahh, I was reading how someone said with the flex fuel kit when they ran full e85 on the TSP stage 2 tune it would get weird in the higher rpm range and choke out. I don't know where I was reading too how people said they it wasn't worth going over e40?

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ahh, I was reading how someone said with the flex fuel kit when they ran full e85 on the TSP stage 2 tune it would get weird in the higher rpm range and choke out. I don't know where I was reading too how people said they it wasn't worth going over e40?
In simple terms:
The relative mixture of E85 to Pump Gas is dependant on the capability of the Fuel Flow through the system.
Sponsored