BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Looking at boost tables comparing base Hondata tunes to base Ktuner tunes is interesting. Ktuner has much higher boost targets at lower rpm's. Hondata appears to use the Honda factory strategy of gradually upping boost and peaking it at 5500rpm. I guess I kind of got used to that feel having Hondata for so long. It felt more sluggish off the line (compared to Ktuner) but all of the sudden felt like a rocket punching it on the highway. Because the Ktuner is so much more punchy down low, the acceleration actually feels slower by the seat of the pants at fast highway speeds. At least that's how I perceive it.

I guess my ideal tune would be the Ktuner low/midrange punch with the woosh of high rpm adrenaline I had with Hondata. I'm sure if I was to actually time things, Ktuner is faster though.
yeah i definitely understand where youre coming from. i miss my FP a lot sometimes, but the low end torque is a bit more satisfying with the ktuner.
Sponsored

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Well, you could always just set up boost ramping for every gear and turn off early spool.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So is the early spool enable what's giving the car more of a "front loaded" feel?

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Yeah I haven't tried disabling it because I like that instant power response. And the Cobra intake helps balance out the top end.

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I guess the power delivery is pretty different between the CVT EX-T and the 6MT Si. Because this thing is a beast on the highway. I could be already cruising at 90 and get on it, and next thing you know it's pulling past 110 haha. CVT has more of a punch down low.

evansc22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks! I think that’s the way I want to go. My teenage son will be driving it occasionally. I don’t need it to be to crazy. The closest ones about 100 miles away. I’m in Harrisburg.
@Emurph8 I'm also in the market for a tuner for my '18 Civic EX CVT. I've been lurking and reading for weeks now. I was dead-set on the Hondata, until I started reading about the KTUNER v1.2. For now, this is the one I'm leaning towards. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to load the tunes. I'm also pretty apprehensive and conservative about tuning (read: I don't want to trash my car). I'm tech savvy and have access to a laptop (some don't) so that isn't a problem for me. YMMV.

A word of caution: Make sure of the price BEFORE you go in to a dealer. I checked with a Hondata dealer as well, and thought $350 was the out the door price. The cost for the single license, single flash (no hardware) was $350 PLUS they quoted $550 for the tune (them tuning the car). Total of $900! In comparison, if you buy the hardware (KTuner 1.2), you GET tested tunes with it, and all for ~$450.

Both Hondata & KTUNER have heavily tested their tunes for reliability, etc. I can't speak to the clutch issue on the SI.

Good luck!

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Looking at boost tables comparing base Hondata tunes to base Ktuner tunes is interesting. Ktuner has much higher boost targets at lower rpm's. Hondata appears to use the Honda factory strategy of gradually upping boost and peaking it at 5500rpm. I guess I kind of got used to that feel having Hondata for so long. It felt more sluggish off the line (compared to Ktuner) but all of the sudden felt like a rocket punching it on the highway. Because the Ktuner is so much more punchy down low, the acceleration actually feels slower by the seat of the pants at fast highway speeds. At least that's how I perceive it.

I guess my ideal tune would be the Ktuner low/midrange punch with the woosh of high rpm adrenaline I had with Hondata. I'm sure if I was to actually time things, Ktuner is faster though.
thinking about this if you check the improved throttle response in hondata doesnt it have the same effect as ktuners low range power boost?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
@Emurph8 I'm also in the market for a tuner for my '18 Civic EX CVT. I've been lurking and reading for weeks now. I was dead-set on the Hondata, until I started reading about the KTUNER v1.2. For now, this is the one I'm leaning towards. I've watched several YouTube videos on how to load the tunes. I'm also pretty apprehensive and conservative about tuning (read: I don't want to trash my car). I'm tech savvy and have access to a laptop (some don't) so that isn't a problem for me. YMMV.

A word of caution: Make sure of the price BEFORE you go in to a dealer. I checked with a Hondata dealer as well, and thought $350 was the out the door price. The cost for the single license, single flash (no hardware) was $350 PLUS they quoted $550 for the tune (them tuning the car). Total of $900! In comparison, if you buy the hardware (KTuner 1.2), you GET tested tunes with it, and all for ~$450.

Both Hondata & KTUNER have heavily tested their tunes for reliability, etc. I can't speak to the clutch issue on the SI.

Good luck!
the worst thing to deal with with the ktuner is ruining your clutch. mine slipped like a bitch on their 23 psi tune. on ho datas +6 tune it never slipped. that is the equivalant to kt 21.5 psi tune.

also you can get hondata for around 450 on ebay. thats what i got mine for shipped. i like them both. kt definitely has a lot more options for picking how much boost you want to push with their on the fly mapping.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thinking about this if you check the improved throttle response in hondata doesnt it have the same effect as ktuners low range power boost?
Absolutely right (improved throttle and spool)... in the Race version. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying the CARB.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Absolutely right (improved throttle and spool)... in the Race version. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying the CARB.
sorry to hear that. i heard that the carb version is extremely limited.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Where Ktuner pulls ahead is with the on the fly tunes. Basically at the press of a button you can have 3 different tunes. Switchable even while you're driving. You could have a valet tune, a commuter tune and a track tune, for example. It's an awesome feature.
I'm intrigued by this and had never once heard this before (I balked on purchasing a Ktuner during Black Friday because I likely want to spend a year without it and see how things are). Is the "button press" only on the V2 though? Do you need your laptop plugged in? Does it somehow go through your infotainment system? Does the hardware have three separate buttons on them?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just a heads up, I think you meant Hondata here.

I'm intrigued by this and had never once heard this before (I balked on purchasing a Ktuner during Black Friday because I likely want to spend a year without it and see how things are). Is the "button press" only on the V2 though? Do you need your laptop plugged in? Does it somehow go through your infotainment system? Does the hardware have three separate buttons on them?

Thanks.
both have the on the fly mapping function. i never use it though. do t really have a reason to.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When did Hondata add on the fly switching? We're not talking ECO Sport button switching here. With Ktuner you have up to 6 tunes technically you can use on the fly.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i was referring to ktuner when i mentioned the on the fly map. i have both kt and fp.
Sponsored