First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yes our stock clutch is weak as fuck. mine started slipping yesterday on ktuners 19/23 base map.

this has got to be the weakest stock clutch honda has put in a si.
Damn that's not good to know...and that is a wear item part no warranty on that. Some good info for me to know about.
Sponsored

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wow. no one mentioned the clutch.. a tune will cause the stock clutch to wear early. even the base +6.
some say break it in properly and you won't have a problem, however thats what i did and mine started slipping at 20k.

ktuner is my preference simply because they are active on this forum to answer questions. you can also play with ktuner more if your into that by adjusting the
boost by rpm etc to limit clutch wear with on the fly map changes.
some of us need this car to last a long time as well as be fast.
So you say doing that can lower the clutch wear? I may step back on tuning because i dont want do spend money on a clutch before or after 20k.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
So you say doing that can lower the clutch wear?
i broke my clutch in properly but it still started to slip at 9k with the tune.

nothing really is going to prevent the weak clutch from prematurely slipping if you are going to flash an agressive tune.

the stock clutch is rated to handle only so much torque.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
wow. no one mentioned the clutch.. a tune will cause the stock clutch to wear early. even the base +6.
some say break it in properly and you won't have a problem, however thats what i did and mine started slipping at 20k.

ktuner is my preference simply because they are active on this forum to answer questions. you can also play with ktuner more if your into that by adjusting the
indeed.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i broke my clutch in properly but it still started to slip at 9k with the tune.

nothing really is going to prevent the weak clutch from prematurely slipping if you are going to flash an agressive tune.

the stock clutch is rated to handle only so much torque.
In the end if I end up with a mild tune the clutch through time may start to slip correct?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
In the end if I end up with a mild tune the clutch through time may start to slip correct?
i believe if you ise a less agressive tune like fp's +6 or kt's 21.5, it will be significantly less wear on the clutch.

i drove on the +6 fp tune for a few thousand miles and it never slipped one time.

OP
OP

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6 touring, Ram 1500
So all that being said. Is the KTuner 21.5 similar to the Flashpro 6? I started off planning on the Flashpro 6 and after reading all this the KTuner seemed like a better deal. But I don’t want to be replacing a clutch on a brand new car. I just want some extra umph, the full throttle shift and get rid of the rev issue. Good info. Thanks to all

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i believe if you ise a less agressive tune like fp's +6 or kt's 21.5, it will be significantly less wear on the clutch.

i drove on the +6 fp tune for a few thousand miles and it never slipped one time.
Does K Tuner have a mild tune option?

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Yes, there are lots of preconfigured options and you can of course fully customize any of them. As referenced above, boost by gear is a great way to reduce torque in areas that may be stressing the factory clutch more than you are comfortable with.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
ktuner is adjustable for boost so that noobs like us can make some adjustments to allow the clutch to last longer.
i use the on-the-fly changer to have 3 selections.
1. my son is driving it. basically lower than stock power.(he is still learning to drive standard)
2. normal everyday driving. boost is slightly above stock and rev hang removed, quick launch and full throttle shift enabled.(stock clutch holds here till it heats up or is abused)
3. track time! highest safe boost with throttle padding, rev hang, and launch control set up to make time on track days.(the stock clutch does not hold very well here anymore)

clint3900

First Name
clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag

I just did flashpro with +9 psi it's the bomb I also have prl cai whole new car

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ktuner is adjustable for boost so that noobs like us can make some adjustments to allow the clutch to last longer.
1. my son is driving it. basically lower than stock power.(he is still learning to drive standard)
2. normal everyday driving. boost is slightly above stock and rev hang removed, quick launch and full throttle shift enabled.(stock clutch holds here till it heats up or is abused)
3. track time! highest safe boost with throttle padding, rev hang, and launch control set up to make time on track days.(the stock clutch does not hold very well here anymore)
Bingo this is what i will be doing well some what similar...I plan to autox my Si and that is why i wanted to flash, but seeing the stock clutch start to slip after time just sucks major. What to do now?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Now, are those custom tunes? I'm confused what happens when you buy a KTuner with a certain preset map already there versus getting one without one. I was under the impression that if you buy one with a preset map that you are locked to that map and cannot reconfigure it (much), and that if you buy one with the intent of getting it custom-tuned that you can basically do whatever you want with it.

Maybe I am way off-base here.

OP
OP

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6 touring, Ram 1500
All this computer stuff freaks me out. I had a mustang years ago. I bought a tuner for it and just plugged it into the car and hit a couple buttons. I didn’t have to hook it to a computer, download anything etc. can I just get one of these things pre loaded? Should I just go to a local tuner shop? The more I read the more confused I get.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You last two guys are overthinking it. It's as easy as 1... 2... 3... :)

1. Buy a Ktuner or Flashpro and download the appropriate (free) computer software. The software contains the tunes and adjustments you can make.

2. Upload your tune from the computer program to the Ktuner or Flashpro unit.

3. Plug the tuning unit into your car's OBDII port and upload your tune to your car's ECU. Voila... car drives way better!

Hope that helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: