New Owner - desperately need a winter wheel/tire setup

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

Just picked up a new '18 type R yesterday. Already in love with the car but I'm in CT and it's going to snow Tuesday. I'm planning on ordering winter wheels and tires today from tirerack since they have a distributor I can pick up from tomorrow to beat the snow

I want to go with 18s and I'd like to stay under $165/wheel. Does anyone have any recommendations? It looks like anything with a 35+mm offset will be ok, 45+ preferred. I'm just worried about clearing the brakes. Do all 18s clear?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Slow CTR

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW #19045
Country flag
I'm running TRM C4 18x8 +32 with DWS 06 245/40/18. The wheels should be pretty cheap and accessible since they're tire rack's house brand, and for tires you can get some dedicated winter tires.

I went for all seasons since I can avoid driving in heavy snow if needed and can run them into warmer weather if I get too lazy to swap summers on for a while.

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm running TRM C4 18x8 +32 with DWS 06 245/40/18. The wheels should be pretty cheap and accessible since they're tire rack's house brand, and for tires you can get some dedicated winter tires.

I went for all seasons since I can avoid driving in heavy snow if needed and can run them into warmer weather if I get too lazy to swap summers on for a while.
thanks for the recommendation. You don't have any rubbing issues?

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Just picked up my CTR last week. I have some 18x8 +42 Enkei Raijins on the way, should be here Tuesday. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 245/40/18. Basically same as @Slow CTR I plan to avoid driving in actual snow and want something I can use well into early spring where it can be 30 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. Car is sitting in the garage with 300 miles waiting for the wheels/tires, sucks because I really want to be driving it!

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd recommend thinking outside of the box. Look through the BMW forums. Or even Craigslist for a BMW winter set. Here are some examples: 18" Squared Winter Wheels & Tires and FS/FT BMW Style 270M Wheels & Nokian Snow Tires 18". You're going to need hub centric rings and conical lug nuts. Even if you bought through Tire Rack, they provide you with hub rings but you'll still need to most likely buy conical nuts. Also, people fit 9.5" ET35 all the time, so you should be fine going with an aggressive offset on a skinnier wheel.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If you didn't already buy... you could find the dude on FaceBook selling the Ambit wheels. They were under $600 a set. Only real drawback is they're super lightweight and they're 18x9.5 with +35 offset so they sit pretty flush to the fender (and can toss whatever down the side of your car). You'll also need centering rings, lugs, and valve stems. If you can mount your own tires, they're not too bad to do but 245/40/18 can be tricky.
For a ready-to-rock package just get whatever is cheapest and fits from TireRack.com. They're winter wheels - if they look hideous, just plastidip them an obnoxious color for next winter and let them be ugly!

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you didn't already buy... you could find the dude on FaceBook selling the Ambit wheels. They were under $600 a set. Only real drawback is they're super lightweight and they're 18x9.5 with +35 offset so they sit pretty flush to the fender (and can toss whatever down the side of your car). You'll also need centering rings, lugs, and valve stems. If you can mount your own tires, they're not too bad to do but 245/40/18 can be tricky.
For a ready-to-rock package just get whatever is cheapest and fits from TireRack.com. They're winter wheels - if they look hideous, just plastidip them an obnoxious color for next winter and let them be ugly!
Thanks. I have access to a lift so swapping isn't an issue. As long as most 18s seem to clear the brakes I'll just get a cheap tirerack set. Thanks for the help

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks. I have access to a lift so swapping isn't an issue. As long as most 18s seem to clear the brakes I'll just get a cheap tirerack set. Thanks for the help
You'll be good as long as you enter your vehicle type in the TireRack system. I think they guarantee they'll clear-
Brian

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I'm gonna jump in on this, I'm going to be purchasing Michelin XIce and I want some cheaper wheels since they're just for winter anyway, spoke with ctrmofo and he got his steelies for cheap and I'm not having much luck finding anything under $120. I might have to bite the bullet but I'm doing what I can not to lol any suggestions on where I could find some inexpensive wheels? I'm searching for 18x9 with +45 offset. I tried TireRack, the lowest they had for what I'm looking for is $400.

OP
OP

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You'll be good as long as you enter your vehicle type in the TireRack system. I think they guarantee they'll clear-
Brian
Thanks I wasn't sure that they guaranteed the fit. I ordered the Sport Edition A16s 18x8 ET40. They came in today and I'll be installing tomorrow .I'll be sure to update the thread with results

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds good! We're always excited to see winter setups!

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I'm gonna jump in on this, I'm going to be purchasing Michelin XIce and I want some cheaper wheels since they're just for winter anyway, spoke with ctrmofo and he got his steelies for cheap and I'm not having much luck finding anything under $120. I might have to bite the bullet but I'm doing what I can not to lol any suggestions on where I could find some inexpensive wheels? I'm searching for 18x9 with +45 offset. I tried TireRack, the lowest they had for what I'm looking for is $400.
Sparco Pro Corsa on TireRack for $190 a piece. 18X9 ET39

If you really want to go cheap, then 18X8.5 is a better bet. TireRack has several options for around $120 or less in that size. They are ugly...but for winter who cares?

Honda Civic 10th gen New Owner - desperately need a winter wheel/tire setup upload_2019-2-12_12-47-29

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I made a suggestion up top. If you want cheap, plenty of OEM BMW wheels out there for sale.

Edit: BMW 18 wheels "M" - $400 (Wheat ridge)

I'd double check width (staggered or non-staggered) and offset. Most 'M' wheels are staggered but I've seen 'Winter M' wheels that are a factory option and non-staggered.
Sponsored

Last edited: