First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to be getting the Honda Civic. With taxes the Civic touring is too expensive! So I'm looking at getting the Honda Civic ex with Honda sensing or the ex-t. The difference is minimal ex-t has the turbo engine, fog lights, leather rapped steering wheel, and 17" wheels. No matter what I will be getting fog lights... The street which my work place is on can get extremely foggy to the point where you can barely see what's a few feet infront of you.

I'm wondering now if the extra money is worth the turbo engine, leather rapped steering wheel (I loved a lot better then the plastic) and bigger wheels. What do you guys think?If I could get the touring I would but I really don't need the extras that come in the touring and I really liked the cloth seats.

Also I'm having a hard time with a color choice (can't seem to zero in on one that I like most). If you guys could give your opinions on what color is best.
I'd spring for the EX-T if I was in your shoes. The turbo alone is worth it, and if you do a decent amount of driving or commuting, satellite radio is a huge plus too.

Were you looking for a lighter or darker color? Personally, I have the Burgundy Night Pearl, it looks amazing when its clean, but with bugs, pollen, dust, etc its really become a pain to keep as clean as I'd like. Definitely requires more upkeep.
Sponsored

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Yeah, but who's gonna get something with a turbo and then baby it. :)
Take a look at the chart again. Wayne Gerdes of Cleanmpg.com for one. Anybody that measures performance in mpg (This is a thread about Prius vs Civic. :)) should want the turbo. It can exceed the NA engine in fuel economy. Think of a hybrid, such as a Prius, as electrically turbocharged or boosted. Electric boost has the advantage that it doesn't need to spool up to get going. It's instantaneous. Also, electric boost allows the ICE to shut down when not needed and can capture kinetic energy. Turbo boost has the advantage of small size, weight, and less complexity and cost. A turbo might be the better mpg choice for folks that do mostly highway driving or where passenger space is at a premium. The hybrid offers much better economy around town than a turbo (all else being equal).

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at the chart again. Wayne Gerdes of Cleanmpg.com for one. Anybody that measures performance in mpg (This is a thread about Prius vs Civic. :)) should want the turbo. It can exceed the NA engine in fuel economy. Think of a hybrid, such as a Prius, as electrically turbocharged or boosted. Electric boost has the advantage that it doesn't need to spool up to get going. It's instantaneous. Also, electric boost allows the ICE to shut down when not needed and can capture kinetic energy. Turbo boost has the advantage of small size, weight, and less complexity and cost. A turbo might be the better mpg choice for folks that do mostly highway driving or where passenger space is at a premium. The hybrid offers much better economy around town than a turbo (all else being equal).
HAHAHAHA....

Ok. One out of a hundred. My bad dude. Thanks for proving my joke wrong. :)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree with the sentiments in this thread and will add that total cost will likely be a wash over 150-200K. If it were me, I'd do the Civic as the Prius is nothing more than an appliance (a reliable one at that). But if a majority of driving is done at low speeds or in the city, no gas or diesel powertrain can compare to the efficiency of hybrid or electric. So I'll just say that unless more than 75% of your driving is in the city, get the Civic 1.5T and call it day.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I just test drove a 16 Prius yesterday and surprisingly like it. Of course I love the Civic but would consider the Prius except for ONE MAJOR THING - none of the various models of the Prius comes with any kind of spare tire/donut anything !! I drive to New Mexico - how fun would it be to have a tire issue with nothing on board ?

That is the deal breaker for me. Period.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
After driving the 2016 Prius I came away very impressed. It is quiet, smooth and while not "fast" it can get on the highway fast enough for me. The steering and handling was very good and it is very appealing to get 52 mpg. But no spare tire of any kinds, and I lean towards the Civic or the Accord Hybrid. I love Honda but am concerned about the quality issues - this is not the Honda I know and love and hope it will all get fixed.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will only get the quoted 52 mpg in a Prius if you drive short trips of mostly under 35mph.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You will only get the quoted 52 mpg in a Prius if you drive short trips of mostly under 35mph.
CR just got 59 mpg in their road test which is tougher than the EPA combined loop - Yes, the highway (70+) is not as good as the city mpg but it's better than our Civics.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR just got 59 mpg in their road test which is tougher than the EPA combined loop - Yes, the highway (70+) is not as good as the city mpg but it's better than our Civics.
I tend to not put much stock in what these car review test companies say. When the Toyota dealer themselves and a fellow employee says my previous statement, that I kinda do. But, to each their own.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I tend to not put much stock in what these car review test companies say. When the Toyota dealer themselves and a fellow employee says my previous statement, that I kinda do. But, to each their own.
As you said...

jjc250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS
I just want to know if you've asked a similar question on a Prius forum?

KyraMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T
I was wondering if anyone ownes both, if so how do they compare for MPG or l/100km? What car do you prefer?

For people who do and don't have both cars, can you tell me what you get with you civic for MPG in city (20 km or 13 mile drive, stop and go traffic)

The 2016 Honda Civic EX-T (1.5L engine) is $30,207.72 (everything included, before negotiating) has an insurance cost of $172 monthly

The 2016 Toyota Prius Base upgrade package is $32,639.18 (everything included, before negotiating) has an insurance cost of $142 monthly

I'm hoping to keep the car for as long as I can 200,000km (160,000 miles) or longer if possible. I need a car that will be able to carry 2 kids with convertable car seats that will be rear facing and a stroller, 2-4 duffle bags and possibly a pack&play. i need a car that will get me good MPG on short commutes (work commute is 20km or 13miles 5 days a week) and good milage for highway commutes (max 500km or 311 miles one way)

Thank you for your input ahead of time :)
WHOA! Your monthly car insurance is $142 and $172 a MONTH????? HAve you had several tickets or accidents?? I have $250 deductible comprehensive and collision, I have $250 deductible for all electrical and (something else I forget), I have the highest coverage for uninsured motors and property and bodily, $50/ day car rental and road side assistance. and I live in Southern California and I only pay $103/M and I think that's too high.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's do some math:
Assume the Civic gets about 34 mpg average fuel economy in mixed driving, and the Prius gets 53 mpg. Now assume gas costs $3 per gallon and you drive 18,000 miles a year.

Civic uses 529 gallons of gas per year, while the Prius will use 339 gallons per year. That's a savings of $570 a year.
Assume that you are correct. Let's also assume that her pricing numbers are also accurate (the Civic seems way high compared to what I paid).

If she actually pays $2500 more for the Prius, it will take nearly 5 years before the Prius shows any actual savings, possibly more depending her financing deal.

She stated that she wants to keep it for 10 years. So, yes, she will save over that time scale. If gas spikes in price, she can laugh all the way to the bank. If they drop, as seems likely, then...

One thing to consider, which car gives more "Smiles per mile" to you?

velredrx8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring, 2004 rx8, 2012 honda civic, 2005 toyota tacoma
Country flag
I drove 100 kms to a nearby town. On the way there I got 50 mpg (4.7l/100) and on the way back I got 53 or 54 mpg (4.4l/100), on my honda civic touring with air on all the way and 3 persons aboard. I was surprised and pleased.

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
Glad you decided to go with the Civic. The new Prius is ugly, and there's gonna be alot of them in junk yards in about 10-12 years. Way too expensive to replace the battery pack and parts.
Not an expert on Prius battery replacement, but I have owned both a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Prius over a 7 year period and I know dealer parts and labor is about $3k for new hybrid battery, but that price is down a lot from 10 years ago.
Just did a Craigslist search to find seventeen ads for 2001 Prius. 15 year old cars. This 2001 Prius has 210,000 mile total and broker asking $2,888. That's a good resale for a car that old.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/5670491852.html
note- link above will change when car sells

Prius' do so well on gas, I think owners will find ways to keep them on the road. I rented a 2016 Prius Three Touring for a day, and my trip MPG gage was pegged at 63 MPG without trying hard. It has grill shutters and engine warms up quick. I wouldn't buy it cause don't like front seats, steering wheel doesn't scope enough for my 6'2" height and I like a feistier car.

I sold my 2011 Prius to a private party buyer and had $14.7k cashier's check in hand within 24 hours after posting ad on Craigslist. The buyer drove a lot, also for Uber and was very happy to get my car which was immaculate and low miles, only 35k.
Pretty reliable car, but had whole radio unit replaced under warranty and strangely it needed a new left front axle assembly as there was light clicking at low speed braking while slight right turn.

I'm on this site because I'm interested in the all new Civic. I managed to rent a 2016 Civic LX sedan through Turo for 2 days and like it quite a bit. I test drove a Touring sedan a couple months ago and it was starting to get fun, but had to return it after 10 minutes. I don't see the point of spending for a new car now as my 2005 Accord sedan with 124k miles is good and has tons of life left. But, we'll see how the Civic shapes up next year ...
Sponsored

Last edited: