New gauge cluster cleaning methods that won’t scratch??

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
before I mess up & scratch the super soft clear plastic covering the gauges, what do y’all recommend for cleaning?
Searching found a lot on the subject but not much in the way of cleaning it except that even microfiber towels scratch it... yikes.
Maybe kemwipes and eyeglass cleaner?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
before I mess up & scratch the super soft clear plastic covering the gauges, what do y’all recommend for cleaning?
Searching found a lot on the subject but not much in the way of cleaning it except that even microfiber towels scratch it... yikes.
Thanks in advance
Zeiss lens wipes help if you have like sneezed on it when driving or somehow liquid got on it. Otherwise I just use a swiffer duster to get the dust off:dunno:

ES EF ED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L , 2011 CTS-V
Country flag
Buy some. Type of plastic polish from TAP plastic . I use the megiaurs plastic polish .

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I always use a clean microfiber. Maybe wet it with water (just slightly damp) but I have never had scratches. Using polish or some kind of cleaner might cause it to fog over time. Im anal and stick with the microfiber.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Thanks in advance
The plastic on the gauge cluster and the one by the shift level are so easily scratched. I received my new civic and could see the swirls on the plastic where they have so kindly 'prepped' the car for me.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
So how I do it is first blow the dust out and dust it with a clean microfiber...very lightly. Then spray it with some interior cleaner (Meguiars low gloss) and verry lightly buff it out with a brand new/clean microfiber. I've done this 3 or 4 times now and now scratches yet.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine was already scratched to shit when I took delivery of the car. It looks like the dealership cleaned it with steel wool

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The plastic on the gauge cluster and the one by the shift level are so easily scratched. I received my new civic and could see the swirls on the plastic where they have so kindly 'prepped' the car for me.
Dealers charge for "Dealer Prep"

I'd gladly pay more for "Dealer leave the car the F alone" ... the less the dealer touches the car between receiving it and me driving off the lot, the better.
The Courtesy Car wash = the Curtesy paint swirl marks.
The Courtesy tank of gas = the tank of lowest grade "cheapest" gas
Even Tire pressure & wheel nut torque checks are regularly missed.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Zeiss lens wipes help if you have like sneezed on it when driving or somehow liquid got on it. Otherwise I just use a swiffer duster to get the dust off:dunno:
Lens wipes may be ok on Glasses, but they may well scratch plastic.
Note how hard and rough they are when the alcohol has evaporated off, and they have dried out.

minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
Look on Amazon or Ebay for Detailing Boar Hair brushes, my buddy that details told me about them, they usually do not scratch the clear plastic that covers the gauges and the piano black around the shifter its what i use and i love it. i got a hole set for like 5.00 on eBay.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks in advance
What method you end up using? Do you any scratches or swirls
Sponsored