New FK8(300 miles) funky smell when heat is used.

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I picked up a new FK8 this past Friday and all has been well until yesterday morning and this morning when it was cold. once the coolant got up to temp i noticed a funky smell. It doesnt smell like typical coolant and it only appears when the heat is on. I checked yesterday in the afternoon when it was warm and the car had cooled off, no funky smell when i force it to HI on the climate control.

I've yet to find any damp spots nor have I seen any puddles anywhere. Everything seems perfectly okay outside of a smell that only appears when the heat is running while the car is running while the car is up to temp.

Am I just being paranoid and need to let the "new" burn off or take it to the dealer and see if they need to tear the dash apart and replace something?
Sponsored

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
My car had a weird "sweet-ish" smell with the heat on for the first 500 miles or so and then it went away. I was in my buddy's brand new ND Miata a few weeks later and noticed a similar small. I chalked it up to new car smells.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I still have the "sweet smell" occasionally when using the heat, and I'm at close to 20K miles. We even changed the cabin filter, looked for coolant leaks, etc. No issues were found.

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The first couple of hard drives I had there were some pretty weird smells coming from the engine for me also. I just attributed it to something burning off that was there as part of the new car construction.

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
My car had a weird "sweet-ish" smell with the heat on for the first 500 miles or so and then it went away. I was in my buddy's brand new ND Miata a few weeks later and noticed a similar small. I chalked it up to new car smells.
Just confirming I have the same sweet smell in my new CTR - I only notice it the first time I turn the car on each day and the climate control is putting out heated air. It lingers for a few minutes then I never smell it again the rest of the day. I'm sure, as others have stated, that it's just normal, new car type of odors. My car has 230 miles and I picked it up last Wednesday.
Sponsored