New Civic Si Coupe. Best way to go about buying a spare tire?

RoadKill

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I was also upset the 2017 Si did not include a spare. The dealer was of no help to get one for me and simply said "I do not show temp spare for your 2017 Si, thanks" I gathered some info and bought a temp spare pulled from a lower model civic off eBay. It's a 16" spare but it fits fine and will work on the back. (It will not clear the calipers on the front but that doesn't matter since you wouldn't put it there anyway) I threw it in my trunk and am now happy knowing I can be back on the road after I get my unfixable flat.
I just wanted to let everyone know this because it bugged me for a month before I got my Si wondering what I was going to do. Hope it can help someone knowing there's an easy option here.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic Si Coupe. Best way to go about buying a spare tire? IMG_9563.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic Si Coupe. Best way to go about buying a spare tire? IMG_9564.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic Si Coupe. Best way to go about buying a spare tire? IMG_9562.JPG

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I guess that's better than nothing, but I would much rather have one that can fit front or back. Even looked at this one for Kia, but even though it says "for 18" wheels", I'm not so sure it'll fit the Si. Anyone know?

(Was hoping the 2018 MY release might clarify/improve this ridiculous Si spare tire situation, but that hope it's fading quickly...)

Last edited:

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I was a bit miffed about the lack of a spare tire, but looking around here it looks like there is an option.

Thanks!
My LX HAtch has a full size spare with jack kit. Even comes with a funnel for the windshield wiper fluid. You should be pi$$ed.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I guess that's better than nothing, but I would much rather have one that can fit front or back. Even looked at this one for Kia, but even though it says "for 18" wheels", I'm not so sure it'll fit the Si. Anyone know?

(Was hoping the 2018 MY release might clarify/improve this ridiculous Si spare tire situation, but that hope it's fading quickly...)
The SI cannot use a spare on the front because of the LSD. If you get a flat up front you have to move one of the tires up there and put the spare on the back.

My LX HAtch has a full size spare with jack kit. Even comes with a funnel for the windshield wiper fluid. You should be pi$$ed.
The funnel is for gas ;) with the capless design you need it to use a gas can.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The SI cannot use a spare on the front because of the LSD.
Thanks. I thought I'd be able to limp on it if I were careful not to have LSD engaged, but they even advise against it explicitly in the manual (page 574) which I didn't see until now...

With this, the inflation kit actually makes a little more sense. Full spare also seems like a lot better option than the donut, aside from the extra size/weight in trunk. And the only reason to get a full spare (i.e. not rely on a kit) would be if you get a sidewall tear or a hole so big that you can't limp to a repair place. Which is incidentally a scenario where the kit may also not provide a solution.

Hmm...:hmm:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
The SI cannot use a spare on the front because of the LSD. If you get a flat up front you have to move one of the tires up there and put the spare on the back.
I did not know that.
What would be the user experience if I leave the spare (temporary tire in front)? How about limping to go to the tire store?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well...if nothing else, I'll use the Roadside Assistance should I get a flat. They can cover the tow, and I'd have had to get a new tire anyway, so...I'm not overly upset - except that they cheaped out big time...other than that - end result will be the same - I'll be at a tire shop, getting a new tire.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Found this in Tire Rack:

If a Temporary/Compact Spare tire is used in a driven-wheel position, any differences in tire revolutions per mile require the vehicle's driveline to compensate continuously, increasing heat, wear and the possibility of failure. This is especially true for four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles, as well as any vehicle equipped with a limited-slip differential.

For example, the tires fitted as Original Equipment on 2013 Honda Accord sedans roll about 800 times every mile, while the Accord's shorter diameter Temporary/Compact Spare tire rolls about 850 times per mile (a difference of 50 tire revolutions per mile or about a 6% increase). Driving at higher than recommended speeds or for prolonged periods of time can result in excessive heat leading to driveline noise, wear or failure.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was also upset the 2017 Si did not include a spare. The dealer was of no help to get one for me and simply said "I do not show temp spare for your 2017 Si, thanks" I gathered some info and bought a temp spare pulled from a lower model civic off eBay. It's a 16" spare but it fits fine and will work on the back. (It will not clear the calipers on the front but that doesn't matter since you wouldn't put it there anyway) I threw it in my trunk and am now happy knowing I can be back on the road after I get my unfixable flat.
I just wanted to let everyone know this because it bugged me for a month before I got my Si wondering what I was going to do. Hope it can help someone knowing there's an easy option here.
IMG_9563.JPG IMG_9564.JPG IMG_9562.JPG
Does it fit the front wheels? I'm worried about clearance of the brake rotor and caliper since its bigger than the non Si models

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it fit the front wheels? I'm worried about clearance of the brake rotor and caliper since its bigger than the non Si models
Probably not and I think he already said it doesn't clear. Besides, you shouldn't do that. The technique is to move a regular wheel to the front so you have the same size tires and don't mess with traction and the LSD.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag

The funnel is for gas ;) with the capless design you need it to use a gas can.
This was answered a few posts up from yours.

OP
OP

Mistborn7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My local dealer still has no idea. Honda Parts Network says not available.

I figure if they're in the Canada versions we should be able to order the correct kit, grrr

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
My local dealer still has no idea. Honda Parts Network says not available.

I figure if they're in the Canada versions we should be able to order the correct kit, grrr
This is news to me... I didn't realize the Si doesn't have a spare! The salesman said nothing about it. *sigh* I guess a roadside kit - like the ones Slime sells - is in order? I mean that doesn't help me if I have a major blowout I know, but it's better than nothing right?

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is news to me... I didn't realize the Si doesn't have a spare! The salesman said nothing about it. *sigh* I guess a roadside kit - like the ones Slime sells - is in order? I mean that doesn't help me if I have a major blowout I know, but it's better than nothing right?
It already has a roadside kit, instead of the spare tire.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
80-img_2024_fc39915b93c7e728fb479b70724225f98344c79d.jpg

80-img_2025_025d82a38b7a751de5b65417f2149de1d4927fcf.jpg

I purchased my spare tire kit from hondapartsnetwork.
Type in your vin or just put in year/make/model, it will come up with a diagram and part numbers/pricing.
Sponsored