Vijay

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.6
Country flag
I'm new here and owner of civic sedan 1.6 CVT South African model. Well, the car is new, 2017 , has a low mileage = 7300 Km and the first servicing is yet to come.
It seems that the engine is erratic at idle(neutral position). The pointer goes up and down from 700 to 800 rpm and I can here the engine trying to catch up the speed.
I can also feel the car jerking at times while driving and the engine lags intermittently when I need speed while overtaking. The car do not response and this could be dangerous.
Is this a misfire or a TPS failure or something else?
Counting on you guys.
Thanks
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Off the cuff... I'd say you could have a vacuum leak. That can make the car do everything you're talking about... the weird idle and be down on power. Anything that let's unmetered air into the engine can make it lean out and cause problems. If it's a lot you would likely get a check engine light and code for something along the lines of a 'lean fuel trim' (I'm not sure what Honda calls it). A quick inspection under the good for any hose loose and listening for a hiss while the car is idling would be a good idea. I assume you have a warranty... take it in to be looked it. If it's happening all the time, it should be easy to replicate.

OP
OP

Vijay

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.6
Country flag
Thanks for your help Charles
Sponsored