Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
worked fine with my note8, though it really didn't add much IMO. After about a week I got an error where my phone is not responding. Nothing has fixed it so far. Reinstalled app, new cable, delete appdata. Next step is factory resetting the head unit.
Sponsored

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
One of the things I like about the new interface is easier access to SiriusXM without having to switch to the HOME screen. I used to have to jump out of Android Auto to adjust SiriusXM (skip, rewind, pause, etc) but now I can access SiriusXM on the Android Auto screen (it pulls the SiriusXM app off my phone.) But the Android Auto app is far more restrictive on functionality compared to the Honda Home Screen app; the former limits the skip function and there is a noticeable loss of dynamic range compared to the pre-installed Home screen app.

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I got a pop-up notification about the new interface two days ago when I plugged my phone in during my morning drive...decided to try it out.
Definitely better than the "old" Android Auto interface.
I saw the same yesterday from my H/U. I think it's a significant improvement.

One of the things I like about the new interface is easier access to SiriusXM without having to switch to the HOME screen. I used to have to jump out of Android Auto to adjust SiriusXM (skip, rewind, pause, etc) but now I can access SiriusXM on the Android Auto screen (it pulls the SiriusXM app off my phone.
I wasn't aware of this. That has been a pain since owning this car - switching "back to Honda" every time I wanted to play XM radio while using Android Auto. Thanks for the info!!

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
I wasn't aware of this. That has been a pain since owning this car - switching "back to Honda" every time I wanted to play XM radio while using Android Auto. Thanks for the info!!
It has welcome advantages and yet some frustrating shortfalls. What I have been able to figure out so far is that this runs off the recently included extended SiriusXM subscription to your devices. The timing of that deal from Sirius for all of their subscribers works great with the timing of the newly-designed Android Auto because now AA can pull SiriusXM from your phone in addition to Honda pulling it through the car radio - in other words, same subscription but different sources. The interface of AA's XM is much better than Honda's - it doesn't chop off the title nearly as severely and images are better (such as album covers.) I have noticed, however, a rather significant decrease in audio quality that to my ears sounds like a more compressed dynamic range through AA XM - the lows don't go as low and the highs not as high. I went to the XM app settings (in my phone) and maxed the quality settings for the XM stream (they were defaulted to medium) but have not yet evaluated if that change has any impact. Most frustrating of all, however, is the severely limited skip ahead/rewind of AA XM. For some reason, the user is limited to something like six skips in a 24-hour period? And finally, I still have not figured out what the running time in the AA XM display means. When I see 2:23:47, I'm thinking it's from 2 hours and 20-some minutes ago but not really sure. And if it is, I seem unable to skip ahead to the present (which negates its use on the traffic channels and diminishes it for weather and even news.) Other thoughts are welcome, however. No-one would be happier than me to stand corrected on this.

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
After posting this, I was thinking (and it seems you've verified) that if I'm streaming from the XM App in AA, it'll be 1) Using my phone's data and 2) probably a lesser quality than over the air through the car's tuner. I guess I'll have to try it out to weigh the sound quality vs. the improvement in UX.

I just installed the XM app on my phone and haven't connected to the car yet, so I don't know pros/cons of the playback features yet.

Thanks again!

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
After posting this, I was thinking (and it seems you've verified) that if I'm streaming from the XM App in AA, it'll be 1) Using my phone's data and 2) probably a lesser quality than over the air through the car's tuner. I guess I'll have to try it out to weigh the sound quality vs. the improvement in UX.

I just installed the XM app on my phone and haven't connected to the car yet, so I don't know pros/cons of the playback features yet.

Thanks again!
From what I've heard, the sound quality is better. I've never heard it personally though.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this helps anyone or nobody gives a shit, but to get the most out of the new aa interface, you need to have all the features of your Google assistant set up on your phone.
I found this out when I had to factory reset my phone, I forgot to update all the stuff with my assistant, and I didn't have a lot of stuff on the aa interface that I previously had, like the calender and reminders etc.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
i'd prefer to either have a clear nav bar with the icons or just the ability to remove the nav bar. I personally do not like having a large black rectangle down below blocking the map and i don't toggle back and forth too much, in fact no one should be doing that while driving, so I don't see a need to keep the icons on the map at all times.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah radio is just tripping
I think the new AA suck !!!

I miss the easy to get to selection along the bottom.... being confronted with PAGEs off all the possible apps, when all I want are just a select few is a PITA, especially when driving.

Is there a way to customize a select few at the bottom and always showing ?
Getting real close to deleting the new AA, and finding a copy of an older version...

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think the new AA suck !!!

I miss the easy to get to selection along the bottom.... being confronted with PAGEs off all the possible apps, when all I want are just a select few is a PITA, especially when driving.

Is there a way to customize a select few at the bottom and always showing ?
Getting real close to deleting the new AA, and finding a copy of an older version...
As of right now, no. I do wish the phone app was easier to access as well.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Night/day mode works again on google maps.

Was stuck on night mode for a while and couldn't really see the map during the day.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wish it would stop disconnecting itself all the time. Never did that before.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
As of right now, no. I do wish the phone app was easier to access as well.
OK, so how does one "FIND" and get back to an earlier version of AA on one's smartphone ...
I assume once the current version is uninstalled, and an older version installed, then Auto_updates will need to be turned off, or else it will update again.

You can't win --- In earlier versions, I wanted AA to support more apps, but now it does, it has become much more difficult to use with its new "interface", and has lost it's best features -- namely being to easily switch between apps from a much better APP selection interface.
Sponsored