New and wanting to do some mods

TachyonFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello!

So I recently bought a Honda Civic Si Coupe (2018) and I am wanting to add some simple mods
The challenge is that I am fairly new and trying to learn.

I know that I want to get the Ktuner
(is this better than hondata or just opinion)

What exhaust would y'all recommend?

Also which Downpipe?

I am in the Houston area, how do I find out where to get these items installed?
Is the labor expensive?

I appreciate it all in advance!
Sponsored

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
...If you are trying to learn you should do your own research ... reminds me of ... tell me the answer and I will give you the question. Down pipe ... which one? Exhaust ... Which one? You can do anything you want. I don't see the point though. It's a 1.5 L turbo ... right out of the box it's good to great and it seems to be counter productive since adding mods has it's positive and negative attributes ... and a Toyota Camry will kick your ass!

Vilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Si, 2012 Honda Fit, 2008 Ridgeline
Country flag
Hello!

So I recently bought a Honda Civic Si Coupe (2018) and I am wanting to add some simple mods
The challenge is that I am fairly new and trying to learn.

I know that I want to get the Ktuner
(is this better than hondata or just opinion)

What exhaust would y'all recommend?

Also which Downpipe?

I am in the Houston area, how do I find out where to get these items installed?
Is the labor expensive?

I appreciate it all in advance!
Do your research. Also, check out 10th gens on facebook. A lot of good info there, and active members posting stuff they've done recently. Hondata, Ktuner.. About the same honestly. I have ran Hondata kpro in a previous car and loved it, i'm running ktuner on this platform and so far so good.

Downpipe depends on what you want your end goal.. PRL makes a 3" front and downpipe for what, $600..? CNT makes a 2.5" front/downpipe for around $300.

Personally, I would try to do everything yourself. Youtube is a blessing, there is plenty of guides out there on many things. If you don't feel comfortable, find a car savvy friend who can help. It'll save you a nice chunk of $$ down the road.

OP
OP
TachyonFox

TachyonFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
...If you are trying to learn you should do your own research ... reminds me of ... tell me the answer and I will give you the question. Down pipe ... which one? Exhaust ... Which one? You can do anything you want. I don't see the point though. It's a 1.5 L turbo ... right out of the box it's good to great and it seems to be counter productive since adding mods has it's positive and negative attributes ... and a Toyota Camry will kick your ass!
I agree I should do my research and I am a firm believer in doing so. This was not my only source or attempt to learn. I have found other threads and post that were informal... more than this comment.

Which Down pipe?.... I don't know, what are good starter brands, where do I look, what is a bad cost? These were the things I was trying to get sources for. I appreciate the time and effort but really I feel like this whole comment didn't help me.

What's the point? Because I love my car and what to make it my own. should I need another reason?

Toyota Camry will kick my ass... cool wasn't really worried about that

OP
OP
TachyonFox

TachyonFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do your research. Also, check out 10th gens on facebook. A lot of good info there, and active members posting stuff they've done recently. Hondata, Ktuner.. About the same honestly. I have ran Hondata kpro in a previous car and loved it, i'm running ktuner on this platform and so far so good.

Downpipe depends on what you want your end goal.. PRL makes a 3" front and downpipe for what, $600..? CNT makes a 2.5" front/downpipe for around $300.

Personally, I would try to do everything yourself. Youtube is a blessing, there is plenty of guides out there on many things. If you don't feel comfortable, find a car savvy friend who can help. It'll save you a nice chunk of $$ down the road.
For sure! I will check out FB I didn't really consider that but I will now.

I'll look it to the different sizes and so on, I am really green to it all so this will help me zero in my searches and learning process. PRL seems to be mentioned a lot here Thank you

I imagine I can find a friend on the FB groups as well. Thanks!

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll want to get a clutch if you're going to increase power. Mine's slipping now with JUST the TSP Stage 1 tune. Clutchmasters FX350 / FX400 are popular. SPEC is another popular option.

Many good options for downpipes / front pipes. PRL is a good name, MAPerformance, etc. You get good torque gains from these. Especially the downpipe. I'd recommend the 3" pipes rather than 2.5".

PRL Cobra Intake is very popular. I'm going with the short ram intake personally. Don't want to possibly hydrolock the engine.

The exhaust doesn't add much power. It's more for sound than anything.

KTuner with TSP Stage 1 (or stage 2 if you want to go ethynol) is the best bang for your buck power-wise.

These are just some of the popular power adding mods. I personally also have purchased wheels, tires, a Clutchmaster FX400 clutch, and BC Racing coilovers. All of which will be installed soon now that the weather's starting to change.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll want to get a clutch if you're going to increase power. Mine's slipping now with JUST the TSP Stage 1 tune. Clutchmasters FX350 / FX400 are popular. SPEC is another popular option.

Many good options for downpipes / front pipes. PRL is a good name, MAPerformance, etc. You get good torque gains from these. Especially the downpipe. I'd recommend the 3" pipes rather than 2.5".

PRL Cobra Intake is very popular. I'm going with the short ram intake personally. Don't want to possibly hydrolock the engine.

The exhaust doesn't add much power. It's more for sound than anything.

KTuner with TSP Stage 1 (or stage 2 if you want to go ethynol) is the best bang for your buck power-wise.

These are just some of the popular power adding mods. I personally also have purchased wheels, tires, a Clutchmaster FX400 clutch, and BC Racing coilovers. All of which will be installed soon now that the weather's starting to change.
You might want to give some thought to the hydrolock concern. Think about it. The PRL cobra filter sits in front of the wheel well and above the lower guard. It is 100% protected from dirt and splashing water. To hydrolock the engine, you will need to have enough water come in through the filter, up and through the intake piping, through the hot side intercooler piping, through the intercooler, and through the cold side intercooler piping and into the intake manifold. PRL has take their Si through some gigantic puddles and washed out roads and have had no issues.

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might want to give some thought to the hydrolock concern. Think about it. The PRL cobra filter sits in front of the wheel well and above the lower guard. It is 100% protected from dirt and splashing water. To hydrolock the engine, you will need to have enough water come in through the filter, up and through the intake piping, through the hot side intercooler piping, through the intercooler, and through the cold side intercooler piping and into the intake manifold. PRL has take their Si through some gigantic puddles and washed out roads and have had no issues.
I hear you. I'm still not willing to take the chance. I know someone who hydrolocked a fresh H22A motor after swapping it into their Integra. I don't want to risk that. There is one spot I travel through frequently which floods pretty bad and that would be a concern. Just not worth the extra few horses to me. To each their own.

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I hear you. I'm still not willing to take the chance. I know someone who hydrolocked a fresh H22A motor after swapping it into their Integra. I don't want to risk that. There is one spot I travel through frequently which floods pretty bad and that would be a concern. Just not worth the extra few horses to me. To each their own.
27won has an intake that is located farther up the housing to protect, so you could consider that.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I think the exaust system is pretty good except the downpipe.
I recommand AFE-TAKEDA. It is expensive but it increase the power and the torque.
It dont give any cell and especially it produce a beautiful sound without changing others parts.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My personal opinion don’t waste your money on an intake and an exhaust, for close to the same money for an intake and exhaust you can get the 27WON turbo. Also get the Ktuner and the downpipe and that’s about it, also gonna need a stronger clutch.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I’ll throw in my $0.02 cents too. I’ve owned my si now for about a year. I love the car more every day. It’s like being in a relationship and learning more about what your girlfriend likes vs dislikes.
I don’t know your goals, but as others have said, start with ktuner. That should give you a significant boost in smiles per gallon.
Keep in mind the weak link in the car is the clutch. Even with a tune you will eventually start experience slip. If you use common sense, it should last you a while. If you start adding power mods like, downpipe, intake, flex fuel converter, it’s inevitable. You’ll need a clutch.
The car’s shines at handling. I would focus on getting to know the car as a whole and not focus on one single aspect. After you get a tuner, look into tires. That’s my only regret. I have the power, but can’t get traction. Trying to wear through these all seasons now so I can throw on some summer tires.
If I had to do it all over i wouldn’t change much. Maybe just the order a bit.
-ktuner
-tires
-amsoil synchromesh
-everything acuity

If you want more power at that point just get a clutch, then:
Flex fuel converter and tune

Hope some of this helped.
Also, this forum is a great resource to learn about your car. Do your research, your question has likely been covered

Bandys21

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I agree I should do my research and I am a firm believer in doing so. This was not my only source or attempt to learn. I have found other threads and post that were informal... more than this comment.

Which Down pipe?.... I don't know, what are good starter brands, where do I look, what is a bad cost? These were the things I was trying to get sources for. I appreciate the time and effort but really I feel like this whole comment didn't help me.

What's the point? Because I love my car and what to make it my own. should I need another reason?

Toyota Camry will kick my ass... cool wasn't really worried about that
Love this answer haha don’t stress about these guys. Glad you are eager to learn sir!

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Down pipes are all pretty similar for what they do, If I were to get a downpipe it would prob be the RV6 they have a sale at the end of the year, people seem to say the quality is pretty good. Get the Ktuner on sale as well I paid like $379 delivered.
Sponsored