New Accord getting the engine the Si SHOULD have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Wonder how this will stack up against the new Camry V6 for normal buyers, which is now going to be over 300hp.

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
HOneslty for me in that comparison I'd still rather have the Accord. I think Toyota can be described as "the beige Camry" of auto makers, everywhere... but never noticed.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
HOneslty for me in that comparison I'd still rather have the Accord. I think Toyota can be described as "the beige Camry" of auto makers, everywhere... but never noticed.
That may be true, but most buyers who cross-shop the Accord and the Camry aren't looking for a driver's car; they're looking for a transportation applicance. They don't call this class of vehicles Camcords for nothing...

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
That may be true, but most buyers who cross-shop the Accord and the Camry aren't looking for a driver's car; they're looking for a transportation applicance. They don't call this class of vehicles Camcords for nothing...
Ironic as I bought the Altima.

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
This is the expected V6 replacement. The mid range Accords will get the 1.5T.
Doesn't mean that they couldn't have just tweaked that version of the 2.0 and put it in the Si.

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
This is the expected V6 replacement. The mid range Accords will get the 1.5T.
True. The V6 model was fast in a straight line but didn't handle as well as the 9th Gen Si. The non-V6 received a 2.4 with less power then the 9th Gen Si as well

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Doesn't mean that they couldn't have just tweaked that version of the 2.0 and put it in the Si.
Feedback from Torrance is that the development cost was too high for a 15K/yr allocation. I'm told that a new valvetrain, pistons, turbo, and VTEC arrangement was required to meet the Si's power and fuel economy targets. That could change as the rest of the Honda/Acura models migrate to Turbo DI.

For now, Honda suffers a "black hole" with no mass produce powertrain to address the 210-250 HP range. Which doesn't bode well for the new ILX. :(

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
For now, Honda suffers a "black hole" with no mass produce powertrain to address the 210-250 HP range. Which doesn't bode well for the new ILX. :(
That is quite a hole, which IMO has been a problem for Acura's sedans. We know the VTEC I4 is a great engine, but the ILX and base TLX are underpowered for their segments.

So, I expect the Accord's 2.0T to end up in the TLX, and possibly an AWD version of the ILX. (I bet a base FWD version will get the Civic Si's engine and the 8DCT from the current ILX.)
About two years ago, Acura said it was moving toward AWD in its sedans, and the 2.0T would be perfect for an ILX with AWD. If this does happen, let's hope the Acuras get a DCT and not the 10AT from the new Accord.

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Feedback from Torrance is that the development cost was too high for a 15K/yr allocation. I'm told that a new valvetrain, pistons, turbo, and VTEC arrangement was required to meet the Si's power and fuel economy targets. That could change as the rest of the Honda/Acura models migrate to Turbo DI.

That goes out the window when they could have just said "no Si until 2018" and used that engine for Accord and Si. Instead we have a Si that slips clutch in stock form. They didn't even bother to use a better clutch.

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
That is quite a hole, which IMO has been a problem for Acura's sedans. We know the VTEC I4 is a great engine, but the ILX and base TLX are underpowered for their segments.

So, I expect the Accord's 2.0T to end up in the TLX, and possibly an AWD version of the ILX. (I bet a base FWD version will get the Civic Si's engine and the 8DCT from the current ILX.)
About two years ago, Acura said it was moving toward AWD in its sedans, and the 2.0T would be perfect for an ILX with AWD. If this does happen, let's hope the Acuras get a DCT and not the 10AT from the new Accord.
I would just love to see them bring back the lovely 6MT for the ILX and TLX.

TAHONDA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord Sport
So true. I would love to see them put it not only in their top trim but offer in the Accord Sport Manual with a little more features than is currently offered.
i'd love to see those two options together.. my '16 accord "sport" isn't very sporty and meh to drive.. and has nothing in it..
an accord sport with 6mt and a 2.0l turbo.. now that's sport.. even if it comes with nothing.. at least you can play around with the engine..

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Mine already spins all the way through first. Rolling into the throttle in 2nd will spin the tires hard. Not sure how I could make use of 60 more HP in a FWD platform.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.