NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING TSB 19-091

CSB0714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Country flag
Get some thin cheap metal mesh, lay 3 layers on top of itself to create a fine mesh. Sadly this impacts cooling capacity to some extent since you are partially blocking airflow. But I did it on my WRX for the TMIC (because people love putting tools there) and it worked great.

Personally I just have left mine alone, I haven't really looked up close to see the condition of the fins. over 30k miles....
Just spitballing here, but that very small nick at the absolute bottom of the inter cooler wouldn’t cause the condenser to randomly start leaking, would it? Never had this problem in any car that I’ve owned (including other Hondas).
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
the intercooler is for cooling the air off the compressor side of the turbo. If it was leaking, you'd have issues building and maintaining boost. It has nothing to do with the A/C condenser AFAIK.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm now having a with the A/C for the third time with my '16 Civic. I bought it in 2015, A/C worked great in the summer of 2016. Once it started getting hot in 2017 the A/C was blowing warm air so I took it to the dealership

I was literally at the max miles for the standard warranty as I pulled in, so they told me they'd honor the warranty and make free repairs if it was covered. They inspected the system and told me the only issue was the factory didn't add enough freon when the car was built. I found that very suspicious since the A/C worked fine the first year, I suspected they were just doing a cheap temporary fix knowing it wouldn't stop working again until it was well outside the warranty. The A/C worked fine the rest of that summer.

Then in the spring of 2018 it started blowing warm air again. Took it to the dealership (different dealership this time in a different state) and they told me the compressor was bad and wanted $1,500 to fix it. I was obviously frustrated with that since seemed to confirm my original suspicion of the first dealership just doing a cheap temporary fix.

I filed a case with Honda corporate and to my surprise they eventually agreed to make the repairs for $700. After the compressor was replaced the A/C worked fine the rest of that summer.

My A/C worked fine all of this summer but the last 3 weeks it has gone back to blowing cold air (I live in the south so it is still in the 80s/90s). I haven't taken it to Honda yet so not sure if it's the compressor again or the condenser. If the compressor failed again I'm really going to be pissed, it's like they knowingly replaced it with a compressor that would fail again.

Anyone else have issues for the second time? Was it the same problem as the first time you needed the repairs?

I'm really hoping it's the condenser so it will hopefully be covered by the tech bulletin but I really don't wanna pay the stupid Honda diagnostic fee just to find out. Anyone have any luck getting the condenser replaced for free while out are outside of the warranty?

I think I'm gonna contact Honda Corporate anyway before I go to the dealership, if nothing else maybe I can get them to waive the diagnostic fee.

captainchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
My 2016 Touring that has a total of 15k miles on it (I only drive it on the weekends and take a bus to work daily) condenser "was damaged by a small pebble" earlier this year. I was within warranty but because it was collision I had to pay around 1300-1500 out of pocket (don't remember the exact figure but it was a ton for me).

5 months later to today, AC stops working. Now it is the compressor and they want $2033. That is ~3500 in total for AC related repairs in one year. I declined. This is my first and probably last Honda. I'd rather get a luxury car if I'm going to pay luxury prices.

Anyone have any suggestions? For solves or for new cars? Anyone want to hop on a class action or something with me?

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Having the dealer check for A/C leaks while my '17 Sport Touring is in for its A17 service today. Earlier this year, or maybe last year, I had them do a recharge-and-refill to hopefully take care of a slight gurgling sound when the A/C is turned on, and they added a dye to check for leaks.

After I asked to check for leaks, the service clerk mentioned the TSB and extended warranty, so they're on the same page already. Cross your fingers.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having the dealer check for A/C leaks while my '17 Sport Touring is in for its A17 service today. Earlier this year, or maybe last year, I had them do a recharge-and-refill to hopefully take care of a slight gurgling sound when the A/C is turned on, and they added a dye to check for leaks.

After I asked to check for leaks, the service clerk mentioned the TSB and extended warranty, so they're on the same page already. Cross your fingers.
The diagnosis was that the compressor was defective and leaking (not the condensor). I'm still under 36k miles, so this'll be a warranty repair. They ordered a new compressor and should have it in before the end of the week.

I think we also bought an extended warranty when we got the car. I'll need to go find the paperwork and make sure. I don't want to have to get a new compressor every two years.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The diagnosis was that the compressor was defective and leaking (not the condensor). I'm still under 36k miles, so this'll be a warranty repair. They ordered a new compressor and should have it in before the end of the week.

I think we also bought an extended warranty when we got the car. I'll need to go find the paperwork and make sure. I don't want to have to get a new compressor every two years.
I had a new compressor less than a year in. They replaced it and its been good for the next 2 years. fingers crossed it stays that way lol

pristine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sports Hatch
Country flag
Hey guys.

Not mechanically inclined - so i have a few dumb questions in regards to the condenser. Maybe it's been answered already in one of the 9 pages but missed it.

- The condenser unit - Am I checking the radiator that is on the bottom right in front of the grill or the one directly above it?
- Examined the pictures on one of the pages to see what is considered defective - am I checking for bent fins on the radiator or damage to the columns above the fins?

mmreview

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
My 16 EX-T at about 43.4K miles’ A/C just started crapping out yesterday. It wasn’t a gradual change over weeks: while driving to the store, it went from frigid cold air to lukewarm within about two minutes. Took a picture this morning, and now wondering if they’ll replace condenser under TSB 19-091 should the condenser actually turn out to be the problem.

View attachment 178116
I just had an excellent experience at Honda City's Bethpage, NY service center. I brought it in for the above mentioned A/C problem, mentioned the TSB 19-091, they tested it, confirmed the problem and fixed it. The part took a couple of weeks to arrive due to back order, so they charged my system after diagnosing. I paid nothing for the condenser and was able to piggy-back a repair of my fog light for a reduced labor cost. Their communication through the process was excellent. I acknowledge that I was lucky to have this break after TSB 19-091 came out, and I thank the people who posted about it for letting everyone know about it!

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
To follow up on my post from above, I ended up taking my car to the dealership to get fixed. In addition to replacing the condenser they also found that one of the connecting hoses was corroded. They replaced that as well and did a complete evac and recharge.

All cost was covered by the TSB so relieved there was no cost. Hopefully this fixes the issue once and for all.

It is frustrating these issues are so common but at least Honda is finally taking steps to make it right. This is the third Civic in a row I’ve had and the first time I’ve had any type of mechanical issue.

lambertgc1

Lambo
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I just called Honda to confirm that my car is covered under the TSB 19-091 and they said I am covered and to take it into a dealer to get diagnosed.

Will I run into any issues because of my PRL Downpipe or tune that is on the car? Should I flash back to stock?

I also have a Boomba BOV and PRL intake.

What is the outlook on upgrades in the eyes of the stealerships?
What is the number you called at Honda?

lambertgc1

Lambo
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello, first post on these forums. I took my 2016 Honda Civic EX-L to Rosenthal Landmark Honda in Alexandria VA. First of all, that service department is full of a bunch of shady crooks that are looking for a fight. I brought the vehicle in for A/C blowing hot air, and they had it in the service bay for all of 1.5 hours. I also informed them I has received a recall notice via the Honda app. They told me the problem is a leaking compressor, and therefore not covered under the recall, and replacing the compressor would cost $1,800. I stated 1.) how did they diagnose it so quickly 2.)did they use dye and could they show me the leak 3.) did they perform the fuel dilution software update? They stated that the fuel dilution issue was only done on vehicles "in cold weather areas." They also stated that they didn't need to prove anything to me. Finally, because I was asking questions they asked me why i was being so confrontational? When I asked for a supervisor and for a number to call at Honda corporate, they told me to leave and that they would not service my car. At no time was I disrespectful or not civil. I didn't raise my voice. However, they did not want to hear any questions, especially about how they diagnosed the problem. Please give me any advise you have on the next steps and whom to contact at Honda (phone number or address or person). If there is a class action, I am in.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello, first post on these forums. I took my 2016 Honda Civic EX-L to Rosenthal Landmark Honda in Alexandria VA. First of all, that service department is full of a bunch of shady crooks that are looking for a fight.
Talk to Brown's down the street from Clarendon. They treated me and my EP3 right. I wonder if Allen Mayo is still there.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hello, first post on these forums. I took my 2016 Honda Civic EX-L to Rosenthal Landmark Honda in Alexandria VA. First of all, that service department is full of a bunch of shady crooks that are looking for a fight. I brought the vehicle in for A/C blowing hot air, and they had it in the service bay for all of 1.5 hours. I also informed them I has received a recall notice via the Honda app. They told me the problem is a leaking compressor, and therefore not covered under the recall, and replacing the compressor would cost $1,800. I stated 1.) how did they diagnose it so quickly 2.)did they use dye and could they show me the leak 3.) did they perform the fuel dilution software update? They stated that the fuel dilution issue was only done on vehicles "in cold weather areas." They also stated that they didn't need to prove anything to me. Finally, because I was asking questions they asked me why i was being so confrontational? When I asked for a supervisor and for a number to call at Honda corporate, they told me to leave and that they would not service my car. At no time was I disrespectful or not civil. I didn't raise my voice. However, they did not want to hear any questions, especially about how they diagnosed the problem. Please give me any advise you have on the next steps and whom to contact at Honda (phone number or address or person). If there is a class action, I am in.
That fuel dilution info is wrong, they’ve started doing it in Texas already which is not a cold state. Try another dealership if you can.

Typically they give you a paper on what they did if they actually did anything. If it really is your compressor though you’re outta luck

Protip: leave them a bad review on google or someplace and watch them be willing to help you then :)

Last edited:

lambertgc1

Lambo
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Their work order states that they aren't sure if it's the compressor or the condenser but that they have to replace the compressor first and if it still leaks they'd replace the condenser. When I asked why they didn't use dye to determine where the leak(s) are the guy got argumentative. After I asked a few more questions the guy got pissed and said "we refuse to service your vehicle." Unbelievable. I left them a bad review.
Sponsored