NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING TSB 19-091

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Anyone else find it odd that the two part numbers list for the condensers (1.5L and 2.0L) show as discontinued on many parts websites? You'll see this if you download the full PDF of the TSB.
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Anyone else find it odd that the two part numbers list for the condensers (1.5L and 2.0L) show as discontinued on many parts websites? You'll see this if you download the full PDF of the TSB.
I've noticed over the years that Honda parts websites sometimes misleadingly label parts as "discontinued" when they're on backorder or if they part is new and not yet available.

What I'd like to know is if I'll get reimbursed the $700 they charged me to fix this... waiting to get this notification mailed to me.
That's typically what happens.

There's no need to wait for a warranty extension notification that may or may never be mailed to you - you can call Honda and submit your reimbursement request right now.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
i went in for the TSB 19-091 and they said the problem was not the condenser but the compressor which is not covered by the TSB 19-091.....

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious why Honda has crap A/C units nowadays? We have a 10 year old Odyssey that still blows freezing cold air like you're at the North Pole. It's awesome.

samuellms

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan touring 2016
Country flag
Not only this... a person with a HVAC cert/license (not sure the proper term) is not allowed to recharge a known leaking system... based on what I've been told by both an automotive guy and a residential guy who are HVAC folks. Once they determine a leak exists they can't fill until it's repaired. They're subject to fines if they do so knowingly w/o repairing. No one at Honda should have willy-nilly refilled an empty system or blame that on the customer. If a customer comes in and goes, "My AC is blowing hot" they should know well enough to see that they system is totally depressurized. It's not on the customer to test their system or to know the status of the Freon in the lines. @samuellms that dealer is copping out. They should have never tried to just fill up a system that emptied due to damage. That's on them.
I really don't know whether I should change dealership, or whether changing it helps. My warranty expired in Aug 6, and my AC is not working again now. They changed my compressor in May, and the clutch in July... As TSB doesn't cover compressor yet, I hope it will be a condenser problem... This is my 7th time to visit the dealership for the A/C problem in 3 years...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really don't know whether I should change dealership, or whether changing it helps. My warranty expired in Aug 6, and my AC is not working again now. They changed my compressor in May, and the clutch in July... As TSB doesn't cover compressor yet, I hope it will be a condenser problem... This is my 7th time to visit the dealership for the A/C problem in 3 years...
Whether it's through warranty or out-of-pocket... the dealer (service dept) always matters. Whether it's through Big Honda or from your wallet, they're getting paid. If you don't like their work or don't trust them... fire them and hire someone else by going somewhere else. Unless you're in an isolated area with only 1 dealer within some great distance, you ought to have other choices. I don't have any dealerships in much less than a 45 minute drive and have never taken my car into a dealer fir warranty work, but I have 3-4 dealer w/in an hour and would punt one if they did something that made me lose the trust.

It's also just automotive HVAC. R-1234 isn't too common yet... but if you call around you might find a much better deal at a 3rd party shop and avoiding the dealer if you're out of warranty and no TSB covers you.

whitecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Does this cover all condensers throughout the 10 years including replacements by dealerships, or just the first one installed by the factory (which is what it sounds like on the tsb). This is my first time dealing with something like this.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
What happens if the compressor fails due to a leaky condenser? Do they cover that?

samuellms

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan touring 2016
Country flag
Whether it's through warranty or out-of-pocket... the dealer (service dept) always matters. Whether it's through Big Honda or from your wallet, they're getting paid. If you don't like their work or don't trust them... fire them and hire someone else by going somewhere else. Unless you're in an isolated area with only 1 dealer within some great distance, you ought to have other choices. I don't have any dealerships in much less than a 45 minute drive and have never taken my car into a dealer fir warranty work, but I have 3-4 dealer w/in an hour and would punt one if they did something that made me lose the trust.

It's also just automotive HVAC. R-1234 isn't too common yet... but if you call around you might find a much better deal at a 3rd party shop and avoiding the dealer if you're out of warranty and no TSB covers you.
Well I just talked to a random guy with a civic in the car wash place today, and turn out he has the same experience with the A/C as mine... just a random civic owner.. He is at another dealership close by. So I guess dealership is not really the problem for the 2016 Civic..

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I guess dealership is not really the problem for the 2016 Civic..
I'm not saying there isn't a problem... I'm just saying if you don't like the service at that service department, go elsewhere. It sounds to me like they're throwing parts at a problem they don't understand. At this point, if you're out of warranty you're out of pocket. I wouldn't pay for someone's inept easter egging style of trying to correct problems. It's now on your dime.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I went in for the condenser and the dealership says it's not my condenser but my compressor, they contacted Honda about some good will since my car was 6 months out of the warrant, had the car for 44 months now but I only had 27K miles, Honda agreed to pay 75% of the job. Dealership said they see the compressor issue a lot and its angering a lot of people and Honda is only looking at it on a case by case with different levels on how much they are willing to help you depending on the condition of the car and whatnot. I am keeping the receipt and hoping there is a class action so i can get reimbursed

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I'm not saying there isn't a problem... I'm just saying if you don't like the service at that service department, go elsewhere. It sounds to me like they're throwing parts at a problem they don't understand. At this point, if you're out of warranty you're out of pocket. I wouldn't pay for someone's inept easter egging style of trying to correct problems. It's now on your dime.
EXACTLY .. Wild guesses-- probably the guess that makes the Dealer the most money, for the least outlay and time.

It's pretty clear now, that there was a manufacturing issue with the Condensers, and while Honda do not seem to be outright admitting this, they have issues the SB with a 10 year warranty on the condenser .. assuming your Dealer does not come up with the obvious BS about Road Debris damage - which is even more ridiculous on a car with an Inter-cooler @!@

But exactly what is failing in all these compressors ? Nobody is actually saying,
Is there really a Compressor issue, or is replacing the Compressor just a cash cow for the dealer. ?

samuellms

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan touring 2016
Country flag
EXACTLY .. Wild guesses-- probably the guess that makes the Dealer the most money, for the least outlay and time.

It's pretty clear now, that there was a manufacturing issue with the Condensers, and while Honda do not seem to be outright admitting this, they have issues the SB with a 10 year warranty on the condenser .. assuming your Dealer does not come up with the obvious BS about Road Debris damage - which is even more ridiculous on a car with an Inter-cooler @!@

But exactly what is failing in all these compressors ? Nobody is actually saying,
Is there really a Compressor issue, or is replacing the Compressor just a cash cow for the dealer. ?
Well I just came back from the dealership.. They said they can't find the problem of the A/C, and only did a recharge of the system. They didn't charge me anything, but is that total BS?
They just fix my A/C a month ago, why the freon is low if there is no leak?!

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Well my AC crapped the bed at 20k, they replaced the compressor, Im now at 75k miles and no AC issues since.
Sponsored