New 2020 Si with a break-in conundrum

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would do a combo of side streets and highway. It'll take a little longer to get home, but she'll be happy and you might find something cool you never knew was in your area. I side street pretty often and am always finding new, interesting places or cool neighborhoods. Just think of it as an adventure. Stop somewhere new and grab lunch on the way back.
Sponsored

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I bought my 2020 Si on a Friday and went on a weekend road trip the next day. I came back on Sunday with 600 miles on it, which were nearly all highway miles. While I was on the highway racking up those miles I made a conscious effort to make sure I vary my RPM range (by changing the gears often and not staying in one gear for extended periods of time) to ensure proper seating of piston rings. Truthfully, I wasn't all that worried about the break in period though. These engines are engineered from the factory to be pretty much broken in, so as long you I wasn't driving it at redline the entire time, I don't believe the first 600 miles of driving will make THAT MUCH of a difference in the long run.

davidc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda S2000
Country flag
I was thinking this too. You want varied amounts of load during break in. Cruising at say 65 MPH and shifting between gears, while varying RPMs, isn't doing much to vary load.
This is the only guy that makes sense. You want to vary both rpm and load. Just try to take a lot of off the freeway streets. Count on a 6-8 hour drive. In my opinion, break-in is important for decreased oil consumption and long life

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Well, I bought an si 2017 and I did the first 1000 kilo relax and babying mine. After 1 year, I bought ktuner and installed the dual 21.5 psi tune. This year I bought tsp stage 1 , 27won rmm and cai. Well I love my si now.

Tune: disable rev hang and turbo lag! Only 19.5 psi or 21.5 base map should do nothing if you are getting bored of the stock tune.

About tune : clutch depends on how you are lucky (28k kilo on tsp map 3). Mine hold it for now on map 3 and my friend on his sport hatch he is slipping badly and it depend on ur driving style. Well map 3 its will kill your clutch sooner for sure.I saw most of guys here having problem with full bolt on or stage 2. ( I thinks like 5-10 major problems)

PS: do not pull 5-6 gears on low rpm you will kill ur clutch and its not good for the rods.

Avoid clutch problems : pull wot at 3.8k , well on mine I never pulled under 4k and still holding.

Have fun!

Last edited:

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I bought my 2020 Si brand new and while I did not have to drive any great distance to get it home I drive it a lot after buying it because I really enjoyed the car and while I did not set any speed records I certainly did “get on it” a few times and even drove it from Orange County here to Los Angeles and back about 140 round trip on the freeway this is all with under 500 miles in the car.

I just did my break in oil change and no metal. I have since tunes the car And added some bolt ons and have pushed the car pretty hard now with just over 2000 miles on it and I drives great.

while breaking in a new car is a real thing and you should probably not take it to red line driving the car brand new off the lot driving fast is not gonna hurt It.Really you want to more so vary your speed and not just flip on cruise control because breaking in the car is about letting everything settle in and seat into place. If your cruising at one speed it’s not gonna do that. Just do some highway driving then take some side streets or drive slower on the highway and then back up to highway speeds. Trust me if you blow up the engine unless you money shift it or something Honda is gonna buy you a new one they are not gonna tell you sorry you did not follow break in procedure because realistically you should be able to take the car off the lot and track the car and it will hold up

some will argue that it will shorten the lifespan of the engine and other components on the car and that may be true but not enough to stress about driving the car more than 25 mph for the first 500-1000 miles. Enjoy it, row through the gears. Maybe take it a little easy but really varied driving is the key to good break in in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Not exactly the same situation for me but I did have to drive 50 miles back home after I took delivery and most of it was on the freeway. I made sure to constantly change between 4th, 5th, and 6th gears the entire way. I also drove it a minimum of 10 miles each time I started it during the break-in period. The word is you want to get the engine good and hot before shutting it down, especially during the break-in. Once it's shut down, you want to let it cool completely before you start it again. Wash, rinse, and repeat. I'm closing in on 3k miles now and not a single issue to speak of. Love this car :drive:
Is that a general rule regardless, or just during the break-in period?

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I picked up my Si from Santa Monica CA and drove it back to North Las Vegas and I was so concerned about relearning driving a manual and not crashing it in the LA traffic that I never thought about any break-in procedures. So while I didn't do anything crazy, I sure didn't vary my speed/load. I also had to brake hard a couple of times, but I've changed brake pads and rotors a lot and never did anything to break them in and never had any longevity or other problems.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Is that a general rule regardless, or just during the break-in period?
I only drove it like that during the break-in period. After break-in, I cruise it normal like any other car. 90% of the time I am shifting at < 4k RPM and rarely do I go WOT unless I'm hitting the on-ramp with no cars in front of me. I average 35mpg each tank pretty consistently if that tells you anything about my driving habits, although I will admit it dipped to 31 after I installed the KTuner and did some "experimenting" :p

LJD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Sedan
Country flag
Best advice.

Make a long day out of it, hit some places for food and scenic spots off the highway every once in awhile. Hit the rest stops. It will take longer but you will be able to vary the speed and gears alot more.
Sponsored