New 2020 Si with a break-in conundrum

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
Well... As of this afternoon, I'm the proud new owner of a 2020 Civic Si in Modern Steel. I'm stoked!

The only problem is, this car is a 4 hour drive and about 250 miles (95% highway) away from me. Obviously that doesn't bode well for the break-in instructions.

Has anyone else ever bought a car that far away? Any tips or ideas on how to deal with that kind of a trip back on a new engine and transmission?
Sponsored

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats on the new car!

Your car will be perfectly fine with the drive. Just follow what Honda says in the owners manual. Per the owners manual all Honda says to do with the new car is the following:

"During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain."

"Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced."

For the 2020 Civic Sedan I found it on page 442 in the owners manual.

If you want to follow another break in procedure you shouldn't hurt anything by varying speed and heat cycling the car. Honda's directions are about as easy as they come for break in.

generem

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Just side street it.. LOL

Just vary the speed and rpm periodically.. Should be fine

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congratulations on the new car!

It’s tempting to drive it as it was meant to be driven, but like the other members have noted, vary your speeds (stop along the way at gas stations and drive on some feeder roads), don’t drop the clutch or WOT, and be easy on the brakes.

Peace of mind for the next 100k+ miles is worth the temptation.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Well... As of this afternoon, I'm the proud new owner of a 2020 Civic Si in Modern Steel. I'm stoked!

The only problem is, this car is a 4 hour drive and about 250 miles (95% highway) away from me. Obviously that doesn't bode well for the break-in instructions.

Has anyone else ever bought a car that far away? Any tips or ideas on how to deal with that kind of a trip back on a new engine and transmission?
If I were you, I'd follow all the suggestions given in this thread to drive her home. Then start the 600 mile break-in clock.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Not exactly the same situation for me but I did have to drive 50 miles back home after I took delivery and most of it was on the freeway. I made sure to constantly change between 4th, 5th, and 6th gears the entire way. I also drove it a minimum of 10 miles each time I started it during the break-in period. The word is you want to get the engine good and hot before shutting it down, especially during the break-in. Once it's shut down, you want to let it cool completely before you start it again. Wash, rinse, and repeat. I'm closing in on 3k miles now and not a single issue to speak of. Love this car :drive:

OP
OP

ewplayer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CRV Ex
Country flag
Thank you all for the great advice! I'm so excited to go pick it up. I'll post some pictures of him/her once I do.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
Yeah, I didn't read the instructions but I just babied it the first 1000 miles. I just changed between 5th and 6th on my 30 miles home. I'm at 3400 now and I'll probably change the oil this weekend just for peace of mind. I really felt the motor breaking in at 1500ish miles it got a lot smoother.

JayTray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not as much, but 200 miles for my 19. 9k Miles on it now and running great. You'll be completely fine, enjoy it!

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you all for the great advice! I'm so excited to go pick it up. I'll post some pictures of him/her once I do.
Drove mine from the dealership for 200 miles. Steady speed, swapped between 5th and 6th occasionally. Its not bad to drive it on highway, thing is you wont brake the pads in. Just take it easy on the brakes for an extra 200 miles or so to compensate for the highway driving you ll do the first day!

Had two K20s before the L15. Absolutely NO brake in. I redlined both after 15 minutes, waited just for the engine to warm up. At 250 miles I had already tested the...top speed! Sold em both at over 140000 miles on the clock. They didnt burn a single drop of oil and kept going strong! I guess we need to be more gentle with the L15 when new!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
You do want to see some boost early on to set the rings. I'd say no more than 5psi should do it as thats how I did mine. Slow and easy but adding progressive load to swell the rings against the cylinder walls. Im talking less than 100 miles.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You do want to see some boost early on to set the rings. I'd say no more than 5psi should do it as thats how I did mine. Slow and easy but adding progressive load to swell the rings against the cylinder walls. Im talking less than 100 miles.
I was thinking this too. You want varied amounts of load during break in. Cruising at say 65 MPH and shifting between gears, while varying RPMs, isn't doing much to vary load.
Sponsored