new 2018 Civic type R owner

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
I would appreciate everyone's input on a couple items regarding the type R, which include;
1. does the car require a break in period? if so, how many miles is it?
2. I have mostly used Comfort mode in my 1+ day of driving the car, and only briefly use the Sport(default) mode--is mileage different between these modes? The steering weight is definitely heavier in the Sport mode.
3. what kind of mpg are you all actually seeing when the car is driven normally in less than spirited driving?
4. last question--the stock Continental tires supposedly only will last for 10,000 miles--how long do they actually last with normal commuting?

I appreciate your input here--can't wait to drive it tomorrow--Todd
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Congrats on the CTR
1. Just like @xcoreflyup said, the break in period is 600 miles, 200 miles for the brakes.
2. Doesnā€™t matter if youā€™re in Comfort or Sport, I hit 30mpg in Sport mode the other day.
3. I usually average 24mpg city/highway combined.
4. Donā€™t know the answer to this question but I plan on swapping the tires out at 5,000 miles for some all season tires.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
4. I think Honda rated the tires low for liability reasons. They may last, but if you are an aggressive driver, count on it being less than their rating.

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would appreciate everyone's input on a couple items regarding the type R, which include;
1. does the car require a break in period? if so, how many miles is it?
2. I have mostly used Comfort mode in my 1+ day of driving the car, and only briefly use the Sport(default) mode--is mileage different between these modes? The steering weight is definitely heavier in the Sport mode.
3. what kind of mpg are you all actually seeing when the car is driven normally in less than spirited driving?
4. last question--the stock Continental tires supposedly only will last for 10,000 miles--how long do they actually last with normal commuting?

I appreciate your input here--can't wait to drive it tomorrow--Todd
I'm getting around 24.5 mpg in my daily driving,..suburbs, commuting. I've only been using Sport mode, so not sure if mileage changes with the modes.

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats on the CTR
1. Just like @xcoreflyup said, the break in period is 600 miles, 200 miles for the brakes.
2. Doesnā€™t matter if youā€™re in Comfort or Sport, I hit 30mpg in Sport mode the other day.
3. I usually average 24mpg city/highway combined.
4. Donā€™t know the answer to this question but I plan on swapping the tires out at 5,000 miles for some all season tires.
Hi Tim,..just for curiosity, what all season tires are you getting? I'm thinking of doing the change, too

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hi Tim,..just for curiosity, what all season tires are you getting? I'm thinking of doing the change, too
I have to go wider since I flashed my car with KTuner and the car loses traction with the stock tires, so Iā€™m going with 255/30r20.

Might get these put on since Iā€™m saving for aftermarket wheels in the future:
https://www.onlinetires.com/product...atr+sport+2+92w-ACHILLESMAB253020-p51847.html

But I really want to put these on:
https://www.onlinetires.com/product...+proxes+4+plus+92w+bsw-TOYO254540-p71636.html
Sponsored