Negative Miles on Maintenance Minder

prince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I was irresponsible to allow my maintenance minder to reach negative -700 miles.

Odomete currently at 9000 miles. First oil change was at 5000. I am now overdue for second oil change by -700 miles.

I'm afraid of taking it to my dealer to use the free oil change coupons and having them void all my warranty. Should I take it to a local shop for oil change and pay them to put in synthetic oil and change filter? If I did this for this second oil change, I would go back to the dealer for free oil change on my third oil change time. Will the dealer find out that I did not change the oil on time previously? Does the maintenance minder keep log history of everything where the dealer will know eventually and still void my warranty? Not sure what to do. Please help.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
it will not void your warranty
just use your free oil change

OP
OP
prince

prince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
it will not void your warranty
just use your free oil change
Thanks for your reply? Forgive me if I'm a bit naive on this but how certain are you it will not void my powertrain warranty or any other warranty? Will they rip me a new one for being so irresponsible for allowing it to go into -700 miles when they wrote on my paperwork to bring it back when it reaches 20% oil life?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for your reply? Forgive me if I'm a bit naive on this but how certain are you it will not void my powertrain warranty or any other warranty? Will they rip me a new one for being so irresponsible for allowing it to go into -700 miles when they wrote on my paperwork to bring it back when it reaches 20% oil life?
You changed the oil at 5000 miles, and now at 9000 miles you are 700 miles overdue? Meaning the car wanted you to change it at 8300 miles, only 3300 miles after the first oil change?

If so, I would say it would be ridiculous for them to claim it is irresponsible. No one expects a new car to only go 3300 miles between oil changes. And even so, 700 miles is not that long overdue. People have lives to live and you shouldn't be a slave to your car.

OP
OP
prince

prince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
You changed the oil at 5000 miles, and now at 9000 miles you are 700 miles overdue? Meaning the car wanted you to change it at 8300 miles, only 3300 miles after the first oil change?

If so, I would say it would be ridiculous for them to claim it is irresponsible. No one expects a new car to only go 3300 miles between oil changes. And even so, 700 miles is not that long overdue. People have lives to live and you shouldn't be a slave to your car.
I just checked the paperwork and misspoke the initial numbers. The first oil change was at 4,071 miles. Right now I don't know the exact odometer but I am certain it is between 8000-9000 miles.

The reason I am paranoid about this is because I shared this information with a friend yesterday and he told me someone at his job went through this exact situation. He was overdue on his oil change by a few short miles, much less than what I am overdue... so he took it to his dealer, they changed oil and didn't say anything was wrong, everything was fine... until he had an issue with the car and needed warranty coverage. The dealer said they cannot cover him under warranty because a while back he was overdue with oil change and the problem with his vehicle would not have happened if he did the oil change before the indicated miles, etc.

He made a big stink about it at his dealer but they still did not cover him. I would hate to have to go through this in the event I actually need coverage. This vehicles aren't as well made as they used to be. For instance my battery completely died only 6 months into the lease and even then they did not want to swap it out for a new one, they made a lot of excuses before they swapped it out for a new better battery. We don't anticipate this to happen but I want coverage if the need arises and don't want to be stranded with a high bill just because I was a dumbass to not obey the maintenance minder.

I won't be going through this again, that's for sure... but for now, I'm very worried...

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
welp im pretty sure you have your mind set on what you want to do. just change the oil yourself or have someone else do it.

OP
OP
prince

prince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
welp im pretty sure you have your mind set on what you want to do. just change the oil yourself or have someone else do it.
It would come to whether there is some type of log system in the car where a dealer mechanic can reference to see the history of the maintenance minder. If I get it changed by someone else and they won't know I was overdue later on. Then I'll get the oil changed elsewhere. However if I get it changed somewhere else and they will still find out anyway... then I might as well just take it to them anyway. Does anyone know if they have a way to track that?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
the maintenance reminder is just a recommendation on what to do it. the computer doesnt know what oil you used. what if you used a extended oil that last 20k.

you can also reset the reminder without doing a oil change too.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if it really bothers you that much, just go into the settings and reset the maintenance minder before you go to the dealer. play stupid and tell the rep that you accidentally reset it digging around through the settings. they won't care.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
the maintenance reminder is just a recommendation on what to do it. the computer doesnt know what oil you used. what if you used a extended oil that last 20k.

you can also reset the reminder without doing a oil change too.
But that doesn't answer the question of whether the computer 'remembers' that it was once overdue.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I took a quick look and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on trackability.

If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer and be done with it. There are several sensors that relay info to the ECU, which is compiled into an algorithm and relayed to the MM. So I'd speculate that the ECU will know when the MM is reset, and at what percentage it was done. It's in Honda's best interest to do so, and would be cheap to configure on top of the existing software/hardware.

That said, the MM is known to provide conservative readings. 700 miles/15% overdue isn't horrible. My 2 cents...

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That story your friend told you is complete bullshit. They can't void your warranty because you were behind on an oil change. Not everyone changes their oil at the same time, or uses the same type of oil. There is no way they could prove that his problem was due to not having an oil change on time unless it was thousands of miles and months/years overdue and they could prove that. You won't have a problem as most people can't always get to a dealer to get their oil changed exactly when it's due.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
you're not that irresponsible. There's a guy on another thread who went ten K miles before changing his oil and his oil turned into gasoline because of fuel dilution. He'll be lucky if his engine lasts 50K. He's apparently trying to destroy it as fast as possible. A DIY oil change with synthetic oil and a new filter is about 35 dollars. The same as a tank of gas!!!! DUHHHHH!!!!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
That story your friend told you is complete bullshit. They can't void your warranty because you were behind on an oil change. Not everyone changes their oil at the same time, or uses the same type of oil. There is no way they could prove that his problem was due to not having an oil change on time unless it was thousands of miles and months/years overdue and they could prove that. You won't have a problem as most people can't always get to a dealer to get their oil changed exactly when it's due.

+1
All Bullshit what dealer said !