Need to replace windshield - calibration questions

outWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
Hi everyone, I recently purchase a 2016 Civic EX-T with sensing. My first Honda! Unfortunately, my windshield was chipped/cracked recently and needs to be replaced. The first shop I went to, Safelite, quoted me about $1100. Over half of that to calibrate the windshield camera after installation. I got a second quote from a local shop for <$500. I asked him about the windshied calibration and he claimed its something Safelite does to get more $$ but its not needed. Also that the car can self-calibrate the camera over time.

I've done some googling and it seems that calibration is oftentimes recommended but not necessarily required. So I have a two part question that I haven't found good answers to elsewhere:
1. Is there any truth to the claim that the vehicle will self calibrate the camera over time?
2. If the windshield is replaced and the camera is out of calibration, will the vehicle be able to recognize that and give me a warning? Or will it just be up to me to determine if the lane keeping assist is acting "funny".

My insurance deductible is $1000 so the cost is basically all out of pocket. I can afford it (which is why I have a high deductible anyway) but it would be nice to save that $600+ if its not necessary.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
Yes you should get it recalibrated. They had to recalibrate mine after a moderate fender bender even though the glass was never replaced or touched. Also, just curious, but if you can “afford the $1k deductible”, why not make your deductible $250 or $500 and pay the little bit higher premiums if you can afford the high deductible.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
[QUOTE="17touringcoupe, post: 586234, ........Also, just curious, but if you can “afford the $1k deductible”, why not make your deductible $250 or $500 and pay the little bit higher premiums if you can afford the high deductible.[/QUOTE]

Why pay for a insurance ?

:thumbsup:

OP
OP

outWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I decided to get the calibration done. Largely because I know myself well enough to know that if I don't, I'll always be wondering if there's something wrong with the camera, and that'll bug the crap out of me. I'm still interested to know the answers to my questions above though if anyone has any insight.

As far as the insurance question, lets just say cost-benefit analysis I did in my head when I bought the insurance seemed to be in my favor. Definitely will be re-evaluating that decision!

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
So I decided to get the calibration done. Largely because I know myself well enough to know that if I don't, I'll always be wondering if there's something wrong with the camera, and that'll bug the crap out of me. I'm still interested to know the answers to my questions above though if anyone has any insight.

As far as the insurance question, lets just say cost-benefit analysis I did in my head when I bought the insurance seemed to be in my favor. Definitely will be re-evaluating that decision!
Did you go with Safelite ? I heard their glass is the same as OEM basically, but a fraction of the cost. My windshield does not need to be replaced, but it is heavily pitted from highway driving. Also if you did use Safelite, were they able to replace the windshield and recalibrate it where you were at, or did you have to bring it to a location to have it done ?

OP
OP

outWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you go with Safelite ? I heard their glass is the same as OEM basically, but a fraction of the cost. My windshield does not need to be replaced, but it is heavily pitted from highway driving. Also if you did use Safelite, were they able to replace the windshield and recalibrate it where you were at, or did you have to bring it to a location to have it done ?
I did go with Safelite and they were able to re-calibrate at the shop. They charged me $600 for the calibration and $388.70 for an aftermarket windshield. That kinda disappointed me since I had gotten a quote from them earlier and thought it was going to be OEM, but so it goes. Can't speak to the quality of the windshield yet except that there weren't any problems on my 2 mile drive home. Will report back if anything comes up. They do claim that the new windshield has a lifetime warranty on workmanship/defects, and a 1yr warranty on the calibration.

regarding my Question #2 in the original post, they also said the vehicle would throw a big warning on my dash if it sensed any issues with the calibration. So that's good to know.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I had my windshield replaced last year. The calibration was necessary. Without it, the LKAS didn't detect the lines anymore.

OP
OP

outWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A quick update on this, so far no issues with the new after market windshield and sensing setup. I will note that the car seems to track a bit more to the left side of the lane than it did previously, but its entirely possible that I'm the one that's not calibrated quite right.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I will note that the car seems to track a bit more to the left side of the lane than it did previously
It's possible the calibration is not quite right. My dealer had to calibrate my camera a second time because the first time, my car would detect the lines and steer to the right in the shoulder. When staying in the center of a lane, there was a constant force in the wheel to the right and the lane departure warning system was not happy.

They calibrated it a second time and now it's just right.

leks808

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 11 F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I had my windshield replaced, and no recalibration was done, I was going to have it calibrated but the system rattles the crap out that POS Sensing so now I’m wanting to remove it all together. FYI it drives fine.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone, I recently purchase a 2016 Civic EX-T with sensing. My first Honda! Unfortunately, my windshield was chipped/cracked recently and needs to be replaced. The first shop I went to, Safelite, quoted me about $1100. Over half of that to calibrate the windshield camera after installation. I got a second quote from a local shop for <$500. I asked him about the windshied calibration and he claimed its something Safelite does to get more $$ but its not needed. Also that the car can self-calibrate the camera over time.

I've done some googling and it seems that calibration is oftentimes recommended but not necessarily required. So I have a two part question that I haven't found good answers to elsewhere:
1. Is there any truth to the claim that the vehicle will self calibrate the camera over time?
2. If the windshield is replaced and the camera is out of calibration, will the vehicle be able to recognize that and give me a warning? Or will it just be up to me to determine if the lane keeping assist is acting "funny".

My insurance deductible is $1000 so the cost is basically all out of pocket. I can afford it (which is why I have a high deductible anyway) but it would be nice to save that $600+ if its not necessary.

Thanks for your help!
I got mine replaced at Safelite. Their calibration at the time was having a problem so they sent me over to my local Honda dealership to recalibrate. Lucky for me that I have always kept my comprehensive deductible at $100. As far as self-calibration, I don't think it's possible on a Honda car. On a BMW or Merc vehicles, maybe.
Sponsored