First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My radio in the new civic won't pick up any hi def stations but one which broadcasts from about ten miles from me, and the stations won't come in great in analog at all. Most of the times unmistakable there's so much static. I'm talking all of the stations I listen to are like this and it is only 4 or 5, but I've never had any car radio in over twenty years have such bad reception except in maybe the worst of a terrible storm if then.
The menu features on The radio ,namely the text on and off don't work even when the text is displayed if ever.
In my first civic, there was crisp clean HD coming from all my stations I listened to but one, plenty of info displayed , artist, song title,even artwork. Now, nothing but the station number. They even are coming in all staticy when the ST for stereo is lit up.
On top of this mess, the station that's on keeps popping up where the speedometer is by itself without me changing it.
For anyone in this area, I'm in DE,45 minutes from Philly and Baltimore, and I'm in a city, not out in Timbuktu, and I was always able to pick up 102.9 mgk, 93.3 wmmr, and a few Baltimore stations with absolutely no problem. Now, mostly noisy and unlistenable.
I just started noticing this cause my Sirius subscription ended.
Honda says nothing wrong, HD radio is very rarely ever picked up, but my last civic,it almost always came in HD.
So do any if you guys have any problems with getting HD to come in, or have any issues with the analog signals?
I swear it sounds like a Flintstone radio most if the time.
Sponsored

CivicBuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EXT/HS, 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Country flag
I have had no problems with HD and non HD stations here in St Louis, It sounds like a antenna, connecting cable and/or Head Unit to me. Any custom car stores near by to ask?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Anyone else??
Antenna ...connection to head Unit or the Shark Fin antenna.
I believe your car has 8 speakers ? and the Radio is built into the Head Unit.

So it sounds like the antenna at the back of the ahead unit is not connected properly ??
or You may just have a Bad Head unit or antenna.

Did you try your Dealer ??? :dunno:

Here is an idea .. go to your Dealer and check out similar Civics.

Check out your HD radio on their lot before going in, to get an idea of the reception there.
Then go in and hint you are thinking of upgrading !!
When checking out the cars, listen to HD radio on them .. is it same or better.
You can get him/her all excited at the prospects of selling you a new car, and they will bend over backwards to suck up to you. End of the month as well, so they are Hungry !!!

If your car really has a significantly poorer reception (at the Dealership) than the same model cars on their Lot, then BINGO ..
"Dealer -- fix it -- proved defective .. Warranty -- Thank You !! )

Remember how it works.

(a) You got to go buy a car, the Dealer will do anything for you. (You can screw with them)
(b) Your sign purchase paperwork -- BANG - everything changes
(c) Now the Dealer wont do anything for you unless you pay big buck.. (The dealer gets to screw you)

Remember how much easier it was, before you signed those papers ??? ;)

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
As was already suggested... sounds like an antenna issue.

But I'll just throw this out there: Do you have any aftermarket stuff installed near the HU, along the antenna cable's path, or anywhere obvious where the RFI (ambient electro-magnetic noise) could be interfering? It's easy enough to turn that stuff off momentarily and see if there's a difference.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As was already suggested... sounds like an antenna issue.

But I'll just throw this out there: Do you have any aftermarket stuff installed near the HU, along the antenna cable's path, or anywhere obvious where the RFI (ambient electro-magnetic noise) could be interfering? It's easy enough to turn that stuff off momentarily and see if there's a difference.

Good luck with it.
The only thing I have installed is my dash cam. But I have tried unhooking it and it made no difference.
Honda wouldnt even look at the possibility of the the antennae because they said they didn't see any issue, when I asked if they checked all my presets to see that they all are coming in terribly, they said they didn't know ,and the tech had already left. Plus, they just kind of ignored the fact that stuff on the menus isnt working.
They want me to bring it back again,but
this is one of those things that needs me to be driving with a tech to point out all this stuff , and they don't seem to want to do that :(

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Sheesh.

I'd program *all* my presets to the same station that you are having trouble receiving. And then complain specifically re: the HD reception. Make it idiot-proof.

Some antennas and radio models are more sensitive than others. So maybe it is a legit weakness. But I get so tired of the 'service adviser shuffle' that I tend to spell it all out in terms that will get the tech's attention.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sheesh.

I'd program *all* my presets to the same station that you are having trouble receiving. And then complain specifically re: the HD reception. Make it idiot-proof.

Some antennas and radio models are more sensitive than others. So maybe it is a legit weakness. But I get so tired of the 'service adviser shuffle' that I tend to spell it all out in terms that will get the tech's attention.

Good luck with it.
Thanks man! I've been through all this with Honda before, took a year, but I finally got a brand new car out of them, I mean this is nothing that serious, but I'm just tired of their response being the same all the time. I've sent the service manager three videos of the problems, so we will see what comes out of my next visit.
Sponsored