Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
Hello,
I'm needing help on how to remove two items (not the lights) from the interior of the tail light assembly. I don't know the proper name for them but essentially they're the only items keeping me from replacing my broken right side tail light. It was very easy to remove the tail light and light bulbs but then there's a clamp sort of thing that holds the wires to the tail light assembly and another black box thing. Has anyone removed these before? If so, how? The clasp seemed like just a matter of forcing the clip (that holds the wires) off of the bar that it's clamped to but I couldn't find a method of snapping it off without potentially breaking it. I couldn't figure out how to take off that other box at all. I didn't want to forcefully do anything as I usually don't mess with my car but I think it's something simple enough I could do alone with the correct guidance. Please let me know if you've removed these parts before, the manner to do so and what tools are needed. Thanks.
Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New IMG Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New 20170321_221152-1 Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New 20170321_221711-1 Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New 20170321_221659-1

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The wire plugs have to be squeezed in the proper spots to release them. Looking closely you should be able to see where. The clip holding the wire in place should just slide off the end, it may take a bit of force.

Reactions: Liv
OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
The wire plugs have to be squeezed in the proper spots to release them. Looking closely you should be able to see where. The clip holding the wire in place should just slide off the end, it may take a bit of force.
Yes I thought so. Just didn't want to do anything I'd regret by making it worse if I broke something further. I found the spot to squeeze but couldn't get it loose with my finger so I used a flat head momentarily... then thought, "Yeah, let me find out if that's what it's for before possibly breaking it."
Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help with Removing Tail Light Assembly to Replace with New 20170321_221714-1

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I thought so. Just didn't want to do anything I'd regret by making it worse if I broke something further. I found the spot to squeeze but couldn't get it loose with my finger so I used a flat head momentarily... then thought, "Yeah, let me find out if that's what it's for before possibly breaking it."
20170321_221714-1.jpg
Some are more stubborn than others. Give it a firm press and you should be fine. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
Some are more stubborn than others. Give it a firm press and you should be fine. :thumbsup:
By chance do you know if this type of repair voids warranties? Such as the bumper to bumper and supplemental 150,000 mile/5 year warranty? First car, don't know much :oops:

Ripper3785

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP EX-L Sedan CVT
Country flag
By chance do you know if this type of repair voids warranties? Such as the bumper to bumper and supplemental 150,000 mile/5 year warranty? First car, don't know much :oops:
They can only void your warranty if they can prove that something you've done has caused a problem or system to malfunction. And even then, only for whatever system you are modifying. (i.e. they can't say you are not covered for a transmission problem because you changed your headlights to HID) Google Magnuson–Moss warranty act if you want more info on how your warranty is protected legally.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not worry about warranty issues at all with this one.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Hello,
I'm needing help on how to remove two items (not the lights) from the interior of the tail light assembly. I don't know the proper name for them but essentially they're the only items keeping me from replacing my broken right side tail light. It was very easy to remove the tail light and light bulbs but then there's a clamp sort of thing that holds the wires to the tail light assembly and another black box thing. Has anyone removed these before? If so, how? The clasp seemed like just a matter of forcing the clip (that holds the wires) off of the bar that it's clamped to but I couldn't find a method of snapping it off without potentially breaking it. I couldn't figure out how to take off that other box at all. I didn't want to forcefully do anything as I usually don't mess with my car but I think it's something simple enough I could do alone with the correct guidance. Please let me know if you've removed these parts before, the manner to do so and what tools are needed. Thanks.
IMG.jpg 20170321_221152-1.jpg 20170321_221711-1.jpg 20170321_221659-1.jpg

OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
Thanks but I watched that yesterday and he merely replaces the light bulb as the video title states. He doesn't remove the entire assembly.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Thanks but I watched that yesterday and he merely replaces the light bulb as the video title states. He doesn't remove the entire assembly.
Hmmm.. Not sure what you watched.. At 3:10 the housing is no longer attached to the car..

OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
I would not worry about warranty issues at all with this one.
Thanks.
I've ordered the part and hopefully all goes well :) If it does I'll be saving myself, at the very least, $160 to correct the taillight. Still need to find a solution for the scratches

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm.. Not sure what you watched.. At 3:10 the housing is no longer attached to the car..
Oh haha.. U dont have an issue with the assembly.. Sorry read ur post wrong... However with that video theres really not much else you have to do... All the parts that need to unclip inside the trunk simply do that.. Unclip.. Just gotta find the tab and push.. So.etimes u have to insert a flathead to hit the clip

OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
It's still attached by the items I mentioned throughout the initial post. He doesn't go near the items I mentioned.

OP
OP

Liv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
They can only void your warranty if they can prove that something you've done has caused a problem or system to malfunction. And even then, only for whatever system you are modifying. (i.e. they can't say you are not covered for a transmission problem because you changed your headlights to HID) Google Magnuson–Moss warranty act if you want more info on how your warranty is protected legally.
Awesome! Thanks for the information.
Sponsored