Need Help Troubleshooting Buzzing Sound Under Acceleration

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. My hunt is finally down to the last rattle, and it's a doozy. I have noticed that there is a buzzing noise coming from my engine bay that only occurs under throttle. If I lift off the throttle, it almost immediately goes away. If I am at high RPM and press on the throttle, the sound gets louder. Likewise, I can be at high RPM (5-6K) and let off the throttle, and the sound completely goes away.

After chasing other rattles in the dash and pillars, I am confident that this is coming from deeper in. It sound like it's coming from the engine bay. My question is, what could be buzzing in such a way that it only happens under throttle?

Civic family, help me get this last one!

EDIT: if there were something related to the exhaust or the engine mounts, such as a loose heat shield, I would imagine that I would hear the buzzing at certain RPM's independent of throttle application. Wouldn't the fact that it comes and goes with throttle application, and gets worse at higher RPM's, implicate the intake in some capacity? Not sure how to prove this though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi all. My hunt is finally down to the last rattle, and it's a doozy. I have noticed that there is a buzzing noise coming from my engine bay that only occurs under throttle. If I lift off the throttle, it almost immediately goes away. If I am at high RPM and press on the throttle, the sound gets louder. Likewise, I can be at high RPM (5-6K) and let off the throttle, and the sound completely goes away.

After chasing other rattles in the dash and pillars, I am confident that this is coming from deeper in. It sound like it's coming from the engine bay. My question is, what could be buzzing in such a way that it only happens under throttle?

Civic family, help me get this last one!

EDIT: if there were something related to the exhaust or the engine mounts, such as a loose heat shield, I would imagine that I would hear the buzzing at certain RPM's independent of throttle application. Wouldn't the fact that it comes and goes with throttle application, and gets worse at higher RPM's, implicate the intake in some capacity? Not sure how to prove this though.
Any mods? Do you hear this buzzing noise more prominently in gears 1 and 2 in the lower RPM range?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any mods? Do you hear this buzzing noise more prominently in gears 1 and 2 in the lower RPM range?
No mods at this time. I would say that I might hear the buzzing more under greater load. I was going up a steep hill today in second, and could hear two distinct sounds: one was the familiar growling acceleration sound coming from in front of the driver's seat, and the other was a buzzing sound coming from the center front of the car.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
No mods at this time. I would say that I might hear the buzzing more under greater load. I was going up a steep hill today in second, and could hear two distinct sounds: one was the familiar growling acceleration sound coming from in front of the driver's seat, and the other was a buzzing sound coming from the center front of the car.
Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help Troubleshooting Buzzing Sound Under Acceleration upload_2018-3-13_9-55-15

See where that blue circle is? There's a clip holding the hose going into the engine. It was loose on mine creating a noise. Give yours a shake and see if that's the cause of the noise.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Does it happen while you're in neutral? If so, can you record a video of that buzzing noise?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
upload_2018-3-13_9-55-15.png

See where that blue circle is? There's a clip holding the hose going into the engine. It was loose on mine creating a noise. Give yours a shake and see if that's the cause of the noise.
I will definitely check that out when I get home today. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it happen while you're in neutral? If so, can you record a video of that buzzing noise?
It does not seem to occur when revving in neutral. In order to reproduce, the car needs to be engaged in gear with the throttle depressed. Clutch in or throttle off, and the sound sputters out and goes away.

Oddly specific, I know. I will try to record it if I can - honestly it's not super loud, but now that I've heard it, I can't seem to unhear it (especially after driving in a co-workers press review SI and not hearing anything but the normal growl).

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
upload_2018-3-13_9-55-15.png

Seems pretty firm unfortunately. I did notice that this item, leading to my MAF sensor, appears to be very loose. Not sure of that's normal though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help Troubleshooting Buzzing Sound Under Acceleration IMG_0504.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Need Help Troubleshooting Buzzing Sound Under Acceleration IMG_0502.JPG

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
That's normal. Mine's loose as well when I had my stock air intake.

I started having doubts on the clip causing a buzzing noise after a while.. That clip created more of a rattle than a buzz. It sucks that you can't reproduce it in neutral. You could have had a second person just look under the hood while you pressed the accelerator. It would be great to get a recording of the buzzing noise, but it would probably be hard to hear over the engine noise at high RPMs.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I'm thinking of trying to see if I can tape an old phone recording in the engine bay and drive around a bit, but not sure how well that would go. The stock airbox itself also seems to have some movement to it. Not sure if that's also normal?

Any other thoughts on parts that would only vibrate in gear and under throttle? I'd imagine that any exhaust related buzzing would be there in neutral as well, no?

Maybe it's related to the turbo somehow? I'd imagine that the turbo would only come into play under throttle in gear.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
No, I don't think the phone recording would work very well. Maybe it might if it were placed right beside it. You can try. I recall someone using a hose to create a ghetto mechanic's stethoscope while he was driving. lol.

The stock airbox has a lot of play. That's normal.

The fact that it's buzzing makes me feel like it's something plastic rubbing against something. Can you attribute the buzzing to another sound so we can get a reference on what type of buzzing? Like a bee, perhaps?

Found this on Google:

Low-pitch humming or whirring under car: This could have any number of causes. If it changes with acceleration, the differential may need lubricant, the transmission may be failing, the universal joints may be worn or a wheel bearing could be shot. The problem is, the sounds under a vehicle tend to reverberate and echo to the point that it’s impossible for a lay person to determine the source.

Hopefully it is none of those.

stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
I observed mine is that if the a/c is on i can hear the sound while accelerating but once i turned it off, i can’t here it anymore and i tried to fix it on my dealership they told me they can’t see what’s the problem or causing the sound

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So update as of today: it looks like I can get the car to make the buzzing sound when revving it in neutral. Still can't seem to locate the source though.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So update as of today: it looks like I can get the car to make the buzzing sound when revving it in neutral. Still can't seem to locate the source though.
Is it RPM dependent? Does it do it at a specific RPM range? See if you can record the sound since it can reproduced in neutral. Now it might be easier to show the dealership in case you want to go that route.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it RPM dependent? Does it do it at a specific RPM range? See if you can record the sound since it can reproduced in neutral. Now it might be easier to show the dealership in case you want to go that route.
Unlike the last buzzing sound that I fixed, which was specific to 5K RPM, this one appears to be present at all RPM's. The intensity of the noise does increase as RPM's climb though - there is a sweet spot around 3K where the noise is easier to hear, but the engine is still quiet enough not to completely drown it out.

I was listening hard this morning, and I think that the noise may be coming from the sunroof area. My previous buzzing sound (mentioned above) was coming from the map light plastic panel, and this one sounds like it may be coming from the same general area. Are there any parts in that region that are common culprits?
Sponsored