Need help. Hit 100k only did oil changes.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
For what it's worth my first Civic, a 1996 had about a handful of oil changes (literally maybe 5), a timing belt/water pump change, and that's it, for like 130k. It still ran pretty strong when I sold it. When I had it I drove it like I stole it, a lot! It was a beast.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it's worth my first Civic, a 1996 had about a handful of oil changes (literally maybe 5), a timing belt/water pump change, and that's it, for like 130k. It still ran pretty strong when I sold it. When I had it I drove it like I stole it, a lot! It was a beast.
That car was probably made a lot better than the current civics are unfortunately.

neffster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T, 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited
Country flag
I got all of the way to the drama around post 30 and got tired of reading.
Cabin air filter and wind shield wiper blades are 2 things I didn't see listed up to that point.
Peace...

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Geezus your air filter is probably really dirty. Not sure about valves, I have heard they self adjust.
Lol this is the misinformation that just scares me. The valve lash does not self adjust. After a while the tolerance between the cam lobe and rockers/rollers gets out of spec. You have to adjust the valves yourself. What you are talking about is what every oil catch can hating person defaults too when people bring up carbon build up on the back of the intake valve.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All this thread tells me is that I’m glad I drive a Honda...

There’s no way OP could have managed this in a VW... lol

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Change your coolant. Flush your brake lines. I’m more worried for your trans than anything cause you’ve had that same fluid in for so long now and there hasn’t been any issues. On older Honda automatics I would have said it’s a potential risk going over 100k and then decide to change the fluid. Inspect your brake pads and see how litte life is left, replace as necessary. Relube the slider pins at the very least. Replace your element filters. Remove the pcv valve to see if it’s all gunked up. Have a look at your plugs. I’m willing to bet they are their last leg. Have a look at you accessory belt for cracks or signs of drying out. 100k isn’t a bad time to think about doing a water pump either. Be honest, how long would you go in between oil changes? Cause you’ve obviously been that guy to say no thanks just the oil change today?. Good luck with getting her back to fit condition

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just replaced the spark plugs at almost 125 kmiles in my K24Z1 (2009 CR-V) that I mentioned in #23 .

They were ripe for replacement, but were still apparently in good shape for this mileage, just some brownish scale, nothing broken, the gaps and tips still looking fine. Denso Iridium, replaced with NGK "Laser Iridium," which are considered even better. The first, and likely the last time I replaced the spark plugs in this car.

Even though I might need to replace spark plugs only once in a car's life, I won't buy a car with hard to access spark plugs.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Reminds me of my '07 Fit. Only changed oil and brakes until it was totalled at 175k lol

jabin.leveon

First Name
jabin.leveon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
So how screwed am i? I've only done oil changes as far as maintenance goes, and I hit 103k. Haven't flushed anything at all, Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitairehaven't changed plugs yet. Bought new tires recently so they're fine..
What do I need to do? I know the spark plugs and valves need adjusted, what else should I have done? Is it too late to flush the CVT? Should I just trade this one in and get another one brand new and start over?

Could really use some advice. This is my first brand new car.

It's a 2017 Civic LX Hatchback with 103,000 miles.
I never knew this information, so it's good to know. Now, would an oil change place swap these out for you, or is it easy to do in a DIY fashion... or should I seek out a mechanic?

Last edited:

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I chuckled at the "should I trade it in and start over" comment from the OP. If this were 20 years ago and you were at 100K on a Dodge Neon with nothing but oil changes you would probably be living on borrowed time with that heap. At least you change the oil consistently (I assume) as that is literally the most important maintenance you can do for these cars. Take a day and have someone flush ALL fluids (trans, coolant, brake, etc), check the belts, replace the spark plugs, and just give everything a good once-over. These cars don't require intensive maintenance (I come from the BMW world and that was not the case....) so just enjoy driving it and enjoy a low cost of ownership from the miles you've driven.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
If it's mine..New spark plugs,air/cabin filter.drain and fill CVT X3,brake flushing,coolant change,brakes check and replaced,tires? Check PCV,serpentine belt
Sponsored