Need help. Hit 100k only did oil changes.

Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
So how screwed am i? I've only done oil changes as far as maintenance goes, and I hit 103k. Haven't flushed anything at all, haven't changed plugs yet. Bought new tires recently so they're fine..

What do I need to do? I know the spark plugs and valves need adjusted, what else should I have done? Is it too late to flush the CVT? Should I just trade this one in and get another one brand new and start over?

Could really use some advice. This is my first brand new car.

It's a 2017 Civic LX Hatchback with 103,000 miles.
Sponsored

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I think it's all on the maintenance minder details in your manual.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
New spark plugs are a must.
Keep your car, it is a good car.

You never see Minder Minder advice ?

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Baseline everything and start from zero if you’re intent is to hang on to your Civic.
Replace all fluids; they are the lifeblood of the vehicle.
Change spark plugs, check valve lash, inspect suspension and brakes for worn parts.
Probably some items I missed, but you get the idea.
Catch the car up and it shall treat you right for a long time still.
Personally, I’d buy a neglected car before I’d buy one that was driven hard and abused.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You are likely not screwed at all. Unless you drive really hard, the CVT fluid may be still in a OK shape. If you didn't need to replace brake pads or rotors until now, you probably have been driving in a sane manner.
I would change the CVT oil, and, depending on it's condition change it again soon. Wouldn't do a flush. I would also do regular coolant replacement service and ask for no conditioning fluids. But the dealer may insist on using their flushing machine and the third party chemical kit.
The rest is not even urgent if there are no symptoms.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Geezus your air filter is probably really dirty. Not sure about valves, I have heard they self adjust.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Wait, when oil change service locations to their 30-point checks or whatever, aren't things like air filters, transmission fluids, and spark plugs all checked out as well? Don't know about that last one, but I thought all of this was inspected (and over-offered, of course). Unless the OP is saying that he does the oil changes himself, in which case I get why those haven't been looked at.

Interesting about the spark plugs, though. I just looked it up online, and it recommends changing them every 30,000 miles. For me, that will happen just after two years of driving. They also state to change them maybe as early as 20,000 miles in high performance cars. I never knew this information, so it's good to know. Now, would an oil change place swap these out for you, or is it easy to do in a DIY fashion... or should I seek out a mechanic?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100k miles for plugs on the 1.5. Not sure about the 2.0, but I would think it would be more than 30k.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Learn from Scotty on spark plugs.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, most of the fluids will likely need changing or flushing. Air filter if you haven't already done that. Brake fluid flush. CVT fluid. Check the brake pads. Tire rotation? Maybe replace tires?

Over 50,000 miles a year? Impressive.

Can you tell us how the engine feels at this point? Any issues arise at this point in mileage?

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Learn from Scotty on spark plugs.

DON'T learn anything from Scotty, he's gone senile in his old age and rants about shit like new cars giving you cancer because of the sensors in the bumpers like what the Honda Sensing equipped models have). I mean just look at him, he's bouncing around like he's drunk or hopped up on something during that video then ranting about "discount auto parts stores" like thats not where he went to get the spark plugs he replaced. seriously if you go back and watch videos of his from like 8-10 years ago and compare it to todays video's he's definitely got something going on in the mental health department.

the BEST plugs for a Honda are NGK Iridiums (hell they are the best in most situations).

OP
OP

Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the advice. I compiled a list of everything that needs done from your advice.

And someone asked me how the engine felt/how the car ran at 100k. It feels solid, just like before. Shudders at idle a little but I think that's pretty normal.

OP
OP

Whitecivicx92

First Name
Jndn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Geezus your air filter is probably really dirty. Not sure about valves, I have heard they self adjust.
I did do the air filter a few times. Sorry forgot to include that.
Sponsored