PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Fellow GenX owners -- I've been a member of this awesome forum since Oct of last year when i purchased my beautiful PMM 2017 Civic SI coupe and what a thrill it has been owning this platform! I previously owned 99 EM1 with an LS/VTEC motor swap but it simply does not compare to the fun factor that the 10th Gen SI's bring to the table.

After 6 months of owning this car, I pulled the trigger for a purchase of the Hondata Flashpro and I am absolutely enjoying the +9 calibration! As others have mentioned, this is definitely the way the SI should have come from the factory. With that said, I am now contemplating my next mod and I'm completely torn between the two.

My choices are as follows:

-Zeitronix ECA-2 flex fuel conversion kit
or
-PRL Cobra CAI

On a side note, im currently running on the stock clutch BUT being in my early 30's now, I dont beat on my car like i used to in my 99 SI lol. I occasionally get on the throttle but rarely find my self actually gunning it. Additionally, I dont lug my motor at low to mid RPM in 5th and 6th gear where the stock clutch is known to slip. In a nutshell, I'm cognizant of my driving habits in relation to clutch life. Were I to go with the E85 conversion, I'd know to take it easy until upgrading the clutch

With that said, i just wanted to get input to see what you guys would do! Flex Fuel and the added power would be awesome, but the PRL Cobra intake is an awesome piece of work and hearing the nice induction sound of the turbo (and slight increase in power) would be absolutely awesome as well.

what do you guys think?
Sponsored

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Fellow GenX owners -- I've been a member of this awesome forum since Oct of last year when i purchased my beautiful PMM 2017 Civic SI coupe and what a thrill it has been owning this platform! I previously owned 99 EM1 with an LS/VTEC motor swap but it simply does not compare to the fun factor that the 10th Gen SI's bring to the table.

After 6 months of owning this car, I pulled the trigger for a purchase of the Hondata Flashpro and I am absolutely enjoying the +9 calibration! As others have mentioned, this is definitely the way the SI should have come from the factory. With that said, I am now contemplating my next mod and I'm completely torn between the two.

My choices are as follows:

-Zeitronix ECA-2 flex fuel conversion kit
or
-PRL Cobra CAI

On a side note, im currently running on the stock clutch BUT being in my early 30's now, I dont beat on my car like i used to in my 99 SI lol. I occasionally get on the throttle but rarely find my self actually gunning it. Additionally, I dont lug my motor at low to mid RPM in 5th and 6th gear where the stock clutch is known to slip. In a nutshell, I'm cognizant of my driving habits in relation to clutch life. Were I to go with the E85 conversion, I'd know to take it easy until upgrading the clutch

With that said, i just wanted to get input to see what you guys would do! Flex Fuel and the added power would be awesome, but the PRL Cobra intake is an awesome piece of work and hearing the nice induction sound of the turbo (and slight increase in power) would be absolutely awesome as well.

what do you guys think?

Flex fuel is kinda costly and depending on where you gas up, you may not have it all the time. Where the CAI will always deliver its sound and performance. Also in terms of reliability and potential mods, its nice to start with improved airflow/cooling first. Of course my cooling argument is invalid since running flex fuel is cooler than gas anyway... meh, imma recommend the CAI anyway. Flex fuel is a massive power boost tho. I feel like many will vote flex fuel.

OP
OP

PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Access to E85 is no problem

What intake are you currently running?

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Access to E85 is no problem

What intake are you currently running?
KN Typhoon intake. Its a short ram intake that comes with a pretty tight heat shield. Its very similar in performance to the PRL but the KN is a little bit pricier. I just have an affinity with KN being a muscle guy at heart.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest advantage to a flex fuel conversion is if you are running a custom tune as well, from Hondata or KTuner. I would recommend the PRL intake very highly. It will put a big stupid grin on your face. I know my next mod is a KTuner. I'm in my late 30's here, and I don't beat on mine much either.

RunningHot2017

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest advantage to a flex fuel conversion is if you are running a custom tune as well, from Hondata or KTuner. I would recommend the PRL intake very highly. It will put a big stupid grin on your face. I know my next mod is a KTuner. I'm in my late 30's here, and I don't beat on mine much either.
Ah thats right, if you got the fuel kit, you would have to grab a tuner too.

OP
OP

PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I already have Flashpro which has the +6 e85 calibration.

2018Gemini

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone install a turbo back exhaust on their 1.5? Results?

Last edited:

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
PRL CAI all day my friend.
Just installed mine and yes I will second @jakabony . Indeed puts a big stupid grin on my face.
Granted I have not looked into the flex fuel conversion, so it is not really on my personal radar.

:offtopic:
Next I am gonna do DP/FP along with some kind of tune. Still dont know who to go with. Ktuner or Hondata
Too many forums to read about that it make up my mind.:banghead:

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL CAI all day my friend.
Just installed mine and yes I will second @jakabony . Indeed puts a big stupid grin on my face.
Granted I have not looked into the flex fuel conversion, so it is not really on my personal radar.

:offtopic:
Next I am gonna do DP/FP along with some kind of tune. Still dont know who to go with. Ktuner or Hondata
Too many forums to read about that it make up my mind.:banghead:
For what it's worth; I just flashed the TSP Stage 1 Tune with KTuner and holy balls is it a different car now! I HIGHLY recommend it.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would just update that I recently got the KTuner v1.2 and loaded the 19.5/23 dual tune base map. It is a night and day difference. I am not sure how it compares to the TSP Stage 1 tune that everyone is raving about, but an aftermarket tune is the biggest bang for the buck right now.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I vote for flex fuel. It will give you the most power increase or bang for the buck. I think the Cobra is terrific too. One guy on Facebook said the a dp doesn't give a big bang for the buck with good fuel. That said, a Cobra with the TSP Stage 1 tune is a great option too if you are planning to delay the flex fuel.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Most are going to recommend a clutch upgrade before going E85. The +9 calibration is about all the stock clutch can handle (some have reported slippage, including Hondata in their own test mule).
Sponsored