NEED HELP!!! 2006 Civic Coupe EX taking bumps HARD.

dennis8866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX
Hey guys,

Just have a quick question about my 2006 coupe EX. It's automatic, 17" alloys. It has been taking bumps very,very badly for a little while now. I got some cheap struts put on it maybe two years ago and it made it a little better but its right back to where it was.

My question is this:
Which are the best struts for this car that will give me the SMOOTHEST ride possible?

I need to make sure I don't buy something that isn't going to make a difference. I'm willing to spend what I have to in order to make this thing ride smooth.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Considering your question anyway, the 8th gen Civic (non Si) never came with 17's so downsize your wheels first to cushion the ride a bit, and the fact that you got 'cheap' struts in the first place eliminates any sympathy that I have towards you. You only have yourself to blame.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dennis8866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX
Considering your question anyway, the 8th gen Civic (non Si) never came with 17's so downsize your wheels first to cushion the ride a bit, and the fact that you got 'cheap' struts in the first place eliminates any sympathy that I have towards you. You only have yourself to blame.
By "cheap struts", I meant the stock/factory struts from Honda, not some cut-rate aftermarket part. They didn't do much and the improvement they brought wore off quickly. And my rims are the typical five-spoke alloy that every 06 EX came with. I assumed they were 17 but I guess they're 16. So back to the point:

Do you know of any struts which will give me a soft ride?

And while we're at it, tires that will give me a quiet ride as well?

Reason I asking because I plan to give this car to my younger sister when she gets her license so I want it to be as basic and comfortable as possible for her. Not sure if you have a sister but I am sure you can understand why if want to do this with the car now.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
By "cheap struts", I meant the stock/factory struts from Honda, not some cut-rate aftermarket part. They didn't do much and the improvement they brought wore off quickly. And my rims are the typical five-spoke alloy that every 06 EX came with. I assumed they were 17 but I guess they're 16. So back to the point:

Do you know of any struts which will give me a soft ride?

And while we're at it, tires that will give me a quiet ride as well?

Reason I asking because I plan to give this car to my younger sister when she gets her license so I want it to be as basic and comfortable as possible for her. Not sure if you have a sister but I am sure you can understand why if want to do this with the car now.
Considering your Civic is 10 years old and lets say has 100k miles on it, don't be surprised if the bushings or C/V joints are worn out. That would provide a harsher ride for your car anyway. By the way, OE struts and suspension components are honestly the best bang for your buck out there. You're gonna see a lot of people slapping cheap $70 eBay parts for the sake of lowering their car and what not but when's the last time you heard aftermarket struts used for comfort? It's diminishing returns in that direction and that's why little to no one does it.

As for answering your question:

I'm not sure of struts that can get the ride to be softer because generally what I've seen is, people who switch struts on an 8th gen Civic tend to want it to corner better and such, and therefore most, if not all aftermarket parts good or bad will give a harsher ride. I'm also not a huge modder myself so as for procedure I couldn't help you. For tires, Michelin Premiere A/S hands down.

For the record, I do have a sister and I do understand the concept of inheritance.

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
Did you replace all four struts at that time or only one end? Also, does the shocks still feel like they're working - or is the ride floaty and not well controlled? If the shocks feel worn, most likely you are bottoming out. You can take a look at the shocks and see if any oil is leaking from them, that would mean that they're toast.
Sorry to say, but some cars just don't ride well from the factory, there is not much that you can do if that's the case. The shocks would be the most effective thing to replace if you're itching to get to the end of it.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R #2314, LS Swapped FC RX-7
Country flag
If you bought brand new OEM Honda suspension I highly doubt it's blown as you say it is. If it's "OE replacement" from Amazon or eBay chances are it's made in China and it wouldn't surprise me if it's blown.

You could also try checking your tire pressure. Too high or too low of tire pressure can make the ride much harsher.

If you have aftermarket wheels and cheap tires that's likely the culprit of your poor ride quality. Put OEM wheels back on the car and I'm sure you'll notice a difference. I know when I swap my 17" wheels for 16" wheels on my S2000 for the winter it's a huge difference in ride quality. It's amazing what an extra inch of sidewall does to help.
Sponsored