Need advice re: water stains

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
This weekend I was parked in the garage of a nice SoCal resort hotel. After three days when I got the car back out into the light I noticed hard-water stains covering a significant area on the windshield, hood, and roof. They were gray-white in color and had a rough texture to the touch. When the windshield stains didn't respond to a gas-station squeegee I checked the spot where I had parked more closely and saw that high above there were corroded holes in a couple of water pipes, causing a steady drip. I filed a report with the garage and they offered to pay for a car wash, but since I have a monthly subscription anyway I told them not to worry about that and I'd keep them posted.

Back home now and with a car wash not doing anything, I'm contemplating my options.

Any DIY suggestions for removing the stains? Obviously I'm more comfortable being aggressive with the windshield than with the paint. And if it comes to it I will try to get satisfaction from the garage, but that still means I'll have to take the car somewhere and get ... what done to it?
Sponsored

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Take the car to a recommended auto detailer--- problem solved
Agreed, this happened to my windshield at a hotel in Jacksonville Florida, a Hilton no less. It was same situation, overhead pipes in their parking garage leaked on my car. They referred me to their person what worked out of a local gas station, well he did get about 95% of it off, but I still took it to my guy for detailing after I got back home. I tried to get it off my windshield myself, but this stuff was like limestone deposits over night and would not come off. It took 30 mins just for their guy to get most of it off. To top it all off, it was right in my drivers site line. I was lucky nothing on the paint though. Get a professional to work on it, dont try it yourself.

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: I got an email from the garage saying they had begun to process a claim for me, but then I had some Sunday night tequila and got impatient. After about two hours of elbow grease with 3M rubbing compound and Nu-Finish on the paint, and rubbing compound and a razor blade on the windshield, I got about 95% of the stuff off. There doesn't seem to be any dulling or swirling on the paint (there was pretty fresh Nu-Finish and Turtle Wax ICE on there already).

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed, this happened to my windshield at a hotel in Jacksonville Florida, a Hilton no less. .
I was at a Hilton, too -- in La Jolla.

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
I was at a Hilton, too -- in La Jolla.
ugg, I can imagine how mad you were. I tell you what I will never let that happen again. Any parking garage Im in, Im looking up for anything that could leak onto my car lol. They actually used wax on my windshield to get the deposits off. It actually happened on my previous, not this one, but either way, Im always looking up now. :)

OP
OP

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ugg, I can imagine how mad you were. I tell you what I will never let that happen again. Any parking garage Im in, Im looking up for anything that could leak onto my car lol. They actually used wax on my windshield to get the deposits off. It actually happened on my previous, not this one, but either way, Im always looking up now. :)
Yup, lesson learned eh?
Sponsored