Need Advice installing 4channel Amp and Components

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Well I've had all my speakers and amps in my basement for over a year and finally decided to install.

I have
2 sets of Infinity Ref-6500CX Component Speakers which I'm tryna hook up to a old school Zapco 4 channel amp.

Where do I start? I have a line output converter, but not sure which wire to splice into form the stock headunit. (bare in mind I have the sport touring)

I also have a separate amp for my subs that I will try to install after this.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The line output converter takes the signal from the speaker outputs. Most people say the rear speaker outputs are the best ones to use, not the fronts. You can look at the speaker wire colors at the speakers and then match them to the amp outputs on the HU, or search this forum for speaker connectors for exact details.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
If you have a Touring that generally means that you have the "Premium" sound system with a subwoofer and separate amp. If this is the case, you will need to get speaker level inputs from the amplifier or the speakers, not from the head unit. The amplifier is located to the right of the passenger foot well behind a plastic panel.

The line output converter that you have, is it 2channel or 4channel? If only 2channel, you will lose the ability to control front/rear fading from the head unit. Counter to what calzono said, if you're only connecting to 2 channels for your input to the amp I would generally recommend pulling off the front speakers rather than the rear. The reason for this, at least on the non-touring models (like mine), is that the rear speakers get a different signal than the fronts, specifically a signal with less bass. Search around the forums here, people have shared the wire colours and such for the amp connections.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Counter to what calzono said, if you're only connecting to 2 channels for your input to the amp I would generally recommend pulling off the front speakers rather than the rear. The reason for this, at least on the non-touring models (like mine), is that the rear speakers get a different signal than the fronts, specifically a signal with less bass.
You are right that more people say to use the Front speakers because there is more bass. I am basing my opinion on SCOPESYS's analysis that the Rear speaker frequency plot is flatter than the Fronts. The Fronts have lots of low bass, but a big hole in the mid-bass.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/2018-premium-audio-system.33835/#post-565640

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe its 2 channel line output converter..I really dont mind losing the ability to fade between the front n rear I've never even used that setting since having the car..

I'll try to take out the panel to the stock amp and see what it looks like...

I just wish someone had a wiring diagram for these headunits

jwgerm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I believe its 2 channel line output converter..I really dont mind losing the ability to fade between the front n rear I've never even used that setting since having the car..

I initially cut into my rear speakers and lost some of my bluetooth or phone ability as that is through the front speakers only - just fyi. (Not sure if i can post the Crutchfield info here.... Someone else posted the wire info i thought?)

jspencer89

First Name
Jiles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Anyone experience the front speakers dropping out at higher volumes using an lc2i? I tapped the front speakers for my inputs would changing the rear maybe solve this?

jwgerm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag

As far as losing the fade goes - use a separate EQ and do a single full-range input to the EQ, then use front/rear/sub outs to the amps. Regarding wiring diagrams - buy anything from Crutchfield and they give you the wiring info from the HU. I saw on another post how to merge to get full range i think. i have 2016 EX so i cant speak to the touring info..... took some updated pics - didnt realize was this messy. Clearly i have to clean up my wiring....

Honda Civic 10th gen Need Advice installing 4channel Amp and Components 20190706_102645

Honda Civic 10th gen Need Advice installing 4channel Amp and Components 20190706_102607

Honda Civic 10th gen Need Advice installing 4channel Amp and Components 20190706_102532

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As far as losing the fade goes - use a separate EQ and do a single full-range input to the EQ, then use front/rear/sub outs to the amps. Regarding wiring diagrams - buy anything from Crutchfield and they give you the wiring info from the HU. I saw on another post how to merge to get full range i think. i have 2016 EX so i cant speak to the touring info..... took some updated pics - didnt realize was this messy. Clearly i have to clean up my wiring....

20190706_102645.jpg

20190706_102607.jpg

20190706_102532.jpg
I'm sorry, but that install really disturbs me. I can understand mounting the sub amp to the back of the sub (still wouldn't ever do it myself), but t you got the 4 channel and the crossovers as well as two separate distro blocks all mounted to the box... Why?

jwgerm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I'm sorry, but that install really disturbs me. I can understand mounting the sub amp to the back of the sub (still wouldn't ever do it myself), but t you got the 4 channel and the crossovers as well as two separate distro blocks all mounted to the box... Why?
Why not? Been doing it since '95 - never hurt anything, no mounting or drilling to car.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Anyone experience the front speakers dropping out at higher volumes using an lc2i? I tapped the front speakers for my inputs would changing the rear maybe solve this?
Are you using your phone as the audio source? If so, it's possible it is due to getting notifications on your phone. On my Galaxy S9, even though I have Notification Sound set to Off, when I receive a notification, the volume drops way low for a couple of seconds.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Or....The amp has a limiter, so that if the voltage is too high, it cuts out to protect itself. If this is the case, you will have to lower the gain on the inputs.

OP
OP
OceansX

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I initially cut into my rear speakers and lost some of my bluetooth or phone ability as that is through the front speakers only - just fyi. (Not sure if i can post the Crutchfield info here.... Someone else posted the wire info i thought?)
I can't really tap into the rear speakers as I have the hatchback model...I cant tap into the rear subwoofer however that wouldn't be great for the 4 channel..maybe just my sub amp

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I can't really tap into the rear speakers as I have the hatchback model...I cant tap into the rear subwoofer however that wouldn't be great for the 4 channel..maybe just my sub amp
Your best bet for a 4 channel is to use like an LC7i or an amp that does summing. The only down side is that all audio will be from all speakers (including phone calls and nav), but to be honest it's not the biggest downside. I'm getting ready to install two amps into my car, the sub amp in about a month and a 6 channel more than likely around feb of next year. Just depends on which speakers I wanna get and how I run them. Can't decide on passive or active for a 3 way setup lmao. The 6 channel I'll be using will have a DSP built in though. So I won't really need a LC7i or summing device because the amp I want will do it already will just take some time to set it up.
Sponsored