Need Advice Finding Expert Detail Shop? Not A Car Wash That Does 'Details'

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 1 1/2 years into my 3 year lease and considering keeping the car so now I want to take care of it a bit more than I honestly was up until now. I've mainly done a two bucket system for washing with a Quik Detailer Spray for touch-ups in between. I have light feather like scratches on some of the piano black from when the dealership washed it for me in their automatic after a car wash and have regular light lines here and there that I know will buff out. Other than that I have a few rock chips I can't do anything about without touch-up I'm sure.

I say all that to say I want to find a detail shop in my area that can wash, polish, wax and really do a good job on the exterior. The problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for or should be asking detail shops about. 75% of the car washes do a 'detail' as well even though it's not a real detail.

#1) Do I just look up online reviews from average car owners at 'detail places' in the area?

#2) What questions should I be asking these places when I call? What products/services do I want to make sure they're doing or using?

#3) What should I expect to pay for said service?
Sponsored

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
#1) Do I just look up online reviews from average car owners at 'detail places' in the area?

#2) What questions should I be asking these places when I call? What products/services do I want to make sure they're doing or using?

#1) Call some auto body shops. They got the deets on the good ones.

#2) No idea about products, but mention the black piano pieces and the scratches.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I'm 1 1/2 years into my 3 year lease and considering keeping the car so now I want to take care of it a bit more than I honestly was up until now. I've mainly done a two bucket system for washing with a Quik Detailer Spray for touch-ups in between. I have light feather like scratches on some of the piano black from when the dealership washed it for me in their automatic after a car wash and have regular light lines here and there that I know will buff out. Other than that I have a few rock chips I can't do anything about without touch-up I'm sure.

I say all that to say I want to find a detail shop in my area that can wash, polish, wax and really do a good job on the exterior. The problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for or should be asking detail shops about. 75% of the car washes do a 'detail' as well even though it's not a real detail.

A full exterior detail? Probably $200 minimum, probably 300-500 for a comprehensive one.

Ask them for the itemized pricing. A good exterior detail would include:

Foaming, hand wash and dry
Wash wheels, wheel wells, door jambs, exhaust tips, blast the radiator clean
Clay bar to remove contaminants
Masking of rubber and plastic trim components
Polish with a DA orbital to remove light swirl marks
Final buff with wax/sealant from a DA orbital

It'll probably take a good 3-4 hours.

You can get a good set of tools to do it yourself for about $100...
Sponsored