Nav on touring just an app ?

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2012 Odyssey Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I was thinking what if the navigation on the touring was just a app on the android tablet it would make it possible for us to install it on any model ex and above. It would only require a method of installing apps (aka rooting it). If we get to the point that we can do that I feel like we could also install apps like torque to monitor anything the canbus since it looks like the tablet is able to see things like that already.
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I had the same ideas. I imagine Honda will be none-to-pleased if people can just root and install a $1000 option!

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If root is made possible it wouldn't take long to extract the apk from the touring and install on ex even if that doesn't work we could always use a navigation app that offers offline maps. The more I think of the possibilities once root is open the more excited I get. Only wish I had a touring close by to see what is launched when you press navigation.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree. It's probably just software unless it's missing a gps radio. Kind of outdated approach for Honda to charge that much

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
If root is made possible it wouldn't take long to extract the apk from the touring and install on ex even if that doesn't work we could always use a navigation app that offers offline maps. The more I think of the possibilities once root is open the more excited I get. Only wish I had a touring close by to see what is launched when you press navigation.
What do you mean by what is launched?

It's an app, it pops up just like one. Has a screen to view the map, search for a place, and go to settings. Pretty standard.

hondajeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura TLX 2.4L
Wouldn't the car need some gps hardware as well as the software for this to work? And surely if you have the aptitude to understand the concepts of rooting and installing apps to accomplish this, then chances are you use either an android smartphone or an iPhone. In which case it seems like it would be 1,000 times easier to simply use the Google or Apple maps software.
Then again us techie types don't need any logical reason to try this. We do this stuff just to see if we can. Then basque in the glory of success if we actually do it.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Wouldn't the car need some gps hardware as well as the software for this to work? And surely if you have the aptitude to understand the concepts of rooting and installing apps to accomplish this, then chances are you use either an android smartphone or an iPhone. In which case it seems like it would be 1,000 times easier to simply use the Google or Apple maps software.
Then again us techie types don't need any logical reason to try this. We do this stuff just to see if we can. Then basque in the glory of success if we actually do it.
It does need GPS hardware, but......its very possible that all Audio Display Civics have the GPS receiver built in already. I saw an EX two days ago, and while playing with it, I saw the GPS icon pop up on the top for a moment. I can't confirm that the hardware is in, but it is very possible.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It does need GPS hardware, but......its very possible that all Audio Display Civics have the GPS receiver built in already. I saw an EX two days ago, and while playing with it, I saw the GPS icon pop up on the top for a moment. I can't confirm that the hardware is in, but it is very possible.
All Display Audio trims have the antenna. And the difference in price between the head unit for EX-L and EX-L Navi is one digit in the part number and $0 in the price.

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I start up the ex it looks for a gps signal and locks in so I think that means it has gps. I do use AA for my navigation if I need to but like you said its not because I need to add navigation more like an idea and proof of concept.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if you can somehow add the app. The database is probably another matter.

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would someone on a touring check how much memory space they have I could compare it to the ex. If it using offline database then the touring would have to have more memory used or even more memory

hondajeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura TLX 2.4L
Would someone on a touring check how much memory space they have I could compare it to the ex. If it using offline database then the touring would have to have more memory used or even more memory
Looks like they have the same amount of storage.

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hmm ok well it was worth a shoot we wont be able to get a good idea until some one dumps a system image and really starts poking around
Sponsored