Myxal WTF Intake

1. PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter Specific Output

Service Consultant
    Car(s):
    18' Si Coupe WOP-87' Turbo Buick-91' Eagle Talon TSI AWD-17' Accord Sport SE
    The more im thinking about it I don't see it being a huge issue. Especially so if you aren't expecting huge increases in plenum pressure as a ram air.

Im curious for both projects what the effect of sizing the "plenum" box would be. Im also keeping the acoustic qualities in mind.

Myx thanked this.
  2. OP
    Myx

Myx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)

I was curious about the acoustic quality as well. You are talking about the sound wave as it leaves the throttle body/intake manifold into the intake tract and reflects back into it to cause power peaks as it forces air into the cylinder? If that is the case, I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter so much in a turbo application, due to the intercooler (if it has one), its piping and the turbocharger itself being in the way of that sound wave. I read about that somewhere anyway. Even still, would be cool if it still applies, even to a little degree.

3. 10GenPearlSi

10GenPearlSi Old Man

First Name:
    Bob
    Car(s):
    2018 Pearl Si
    If Depo doesn't send good instructions for the install then just use PLM's instructions. The Depo is an exact copy of the PRL.

4. PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter Specific Output

Service Consultant
    Car(s):
    18' Si Coupe WOP-87' Turbo Buick-91' Eagle Talon TSI AWD-17' Accord Sport SE
    Agreed. I have found that the bigger the chamber the more of the classic honda intake brrrp is there prior to the turbo spooling. I dont think our maf sensors like this "brrp" boggy noise that is prominent when you stab the throttle at low rpm with like an old d16 motor. The trims go rich while this occurs and I think it is some form of pressure wave. When I went with a small overall chamber it eliminates this noise and goes straight to spool and the trims dont have this strange reaction.

I agree the "acoustics" of it are not affective once the turbo starts huffing. I believe its at low throttle transitions to boost that its an important factor before the air really gets moving.

Myx thanked this.
  5. Hondanickx

Hondanickx Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    1998 civic hatch , 2018 White civic sedan
    Prl and others do straighten out the air before it enters the maf .They all have a velocity stack of some sort ,even oem does this .The 4" opening of the prl maf housing has a radius entering the maf housing.
    I would look more into using radius /velocity stacks.It's good to enlarge the area before a 90degree turn comes.It keeps the intake charge going at the same rate.

Myx thanked this.
  6. OP
    Myx

Myx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
    I'm familiar with the intake enlarging/reducing for velocity. I did this on my 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 and tested a 3-3.5-4" CAI versus a straight 3" CAI that I had made. There was a measurable difference between the two in 1/4 mile time and trap speeds. Myxalplyx RAV4 Intake Obersvation I didn't mention it but planned on utilizing this same thinking at every bend/turn the air has to go through, as it comes through the foglight.

7. Hondanickx

Hondanickx Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    1998 civic hatch , 2018 White civic sedan
    You would also benefit by doing this right in front of the TB .Slowing the charge down before entering the TB creates less turbulence.If you take a good look at the oem 1.5T cold side piping you see honda does the same thing with their rubber 90 degree hose .(it gets larger right after the 90 degree bend)
    These are some tips i got a long time ago from Larry from Endyn.

Myx thanked this.