Myxal WTF Intake

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
The more im thinking about it I don't see it being a huge issue. Especially so if you aren't expecting huge increases in plenum pressure as a ram air.

Im curious for both projects what the effect of sizing the "plenum" box would be. Im also keeping the acoustic qualities in mind.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The more im thinking about it I don't see it being a huge issue. Especially so if you aren't expecting huge increases in plenum pressure as a ram air.

Im curious for both projects what the effect of sizing the "plenum" box would be. Im also keeping the acoustic qualities in mind.

I was curious about the acoustic quality as well. You are talking about the sound wave as it leaves the throttle body/intake manifold into the intake tract and reflects back into it to cause power peaks as it forces air into the cylinder? If that is the case, I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter so much in a turbo application, due to the intercooler (if it has one), its piping and the turbocharger itself being in the way of that sound wave. I read about that somewhere anyway. Even still, would be cool if it still applies, even to a little degree.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your pointers and response. I will be looking forward to your design and your findings as well. I love this stuff.

Yeah, not so much trying to make a 'ram-air' affect. Too many turns involved. Air don't like changing direction. I am however trying to negate any pressure drop losses that may be there from the stock filter back to the stock turbo inlet. I have plans for the turbo inlet (27Won's enlarged unit IF they ever make it) and post turbo (I've already ordered a Depo Racing intercooler and intercooler piping). I'll definitely test this stuff indeed. 1/4 mile times and trap speeds will tell the tale. My days of theorizing were over years ago. :)
If Depo doesn't send good instructions for the install then just use PLM's instructions. The Depo is an exact copy of the PRL.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I was curious about the acoustic quality as well. You are talking about the sound wave as it leaves the throttle body/intake manifold into the intake tract and reflects back into it to cause power peaks as it forces air into the cylinder? If that is the case, I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter so much in a turbo application, due to the intercooler (if it has one), its piping and the turbocharger itself being in the way of that sound wave. I read about that somewhere anyway. Even still, would be cool if it still applies, even to a little degree.
Agreed. I have found that the bigger the chamber the more of the classic honda intake brrrp is there prior to the turbo spooling. I dont think our maf sensors like this "brrp" boggy noise that is prominent when you stab the throttle at low rpm with like an old d16 motor. The trims go rich while this occurs and I think it is some form of pressure wave. When I went with a small overall chamber it eliminates this noise and goes straight to spool and the trims dont have this strange reaction.

I agree the "acoustics" of it are not affective once the turbo starts huffing. I believe its at low throttle transitions to boost that its an important factor before the air really gets moving.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Prl and others do straighten out the air before it enters the maf .They all have a velocity stack of some sort ,even oem does this .The 4" opening of the prl maf housing has a radius entering the maf housing.
I would look more into using radius /velocity stacks.It's good to enlarge the area before a 90degree turn comes.It keeps the intake charge going at the same rate.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Prl and others do straighten out the air before it enters the maf .They all have a velocity stack of some sort ,even oem does this .The 4" opening of the prl maf housing has a radius entering the maf housing.
I would look more into using radius /velocity stacks.It's good to enlarge the area before a 90degree turn comes.It keeps the intake charge going at the same rate.
I'm familiar with the intake enlarging/reducing for velocity. I did this on my 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 and tested a 3-3.5-4" CAI versus a straight 3" CAI that I had made. There was a measurable difference between the two in 1/4 mile time and trap speeds. Myxalplyx RAV4 Intake Obersvation I didn't mention it but planned on utilizing this same thinking at every bend/turn the air has to go through, as it comes through the foglight.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would also benefit by doing this right in front of the TB .Slowing the charge down before entering the TB creates less turbulence.If you take a good look at the oem 1.5T cold side piping you see honda does the same thing with their rubber 90 degree hose .(it gets larger right after the 90 degree bend)
These are some tips i got a long time ago from Larry from Endyn.

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read the thread. I plan on doing ram air with my K20C2 N/A Engine as it's almost a straight shot straight to the throttle body. I have an AEM intake at the moment with a heat shield and I never run over ~15 degrees hotter than ambient and real close to ambient when I'm driving. On the highway I'm right at ambient and I feel that using ram air will further increase in lower IAT's.

I purchased a Weapon R Ram Air Kit and it's really poor in design and I don't recommend it. They don't answer your questions and I paid $80 for junk. FKX makes a true ram air intake for the 1.5T and for my 2.slow. I'm curious if you've completed the project and have any data I could look at.

I want to make sure it's worth another ~$250 before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the info and cool ideas!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read the thread. I plan on doing ram air with my K20C2 N/A Engine as it's almost a straight shot straight to the throttle body. I have an AEM intake at the moment with a heat shield and I never run over ~15 degrees hotter than ambient and real close to ambient when I'm driving. On the highway I'm right at ambient and I feel that using ram air will further increase in lower IAT's.

I purchased a Weapon R Ram Air Kit and it's really poor in design and I don't recommend it. They don't answer your questions and I paid $80 for junk. FKX makes a true ram air intake for the 1.5T and for my 2.slow. I'm curious if you've completed the project and have any data I could look at.

I want to make sure it's worth another ~$250 before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the info and cool ideas!

I never did complete it since I was totally focused on the Myxal SRI-CAI. Since that is done and the weather is going to be hot/warm at least until the middle of September, I have no reason not to make this and test it at the dragstrip. Just because! I'll look into it Tuesday. I have no reason not to since I have nothing else to test at the moment. :)

My only problem is the box design will have to be fairly large/long, since my maf sensor is now connected direcly onto the turbo inlet pipe. Sure I can make something up.

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never did complete it since I was totally focused on the Myxal SRI-CAI. Since that is done and the weather is going to be hot/warm at least until the middle of September, I have no reason not to make this and test it at the dragstrip. Just because! I'll look into it Tuesday. I have no reason not to since I have nothing else to test at the moment. :)

My only problem is the box design will have to be fairly large/long, since my maf sensor is now connected direcly onto the turbo inlet pipe. Sure I can make something up.
I'm pretty new to all of this intake stuff I usually dealt with exhaust. I'm curious to see if your design offers improvement and it's always fun to design and test new things.

I wonder if having the ram air intake AND having another source of air would improve anything or hinder. I was wondering about running a small hole in the eye trim mesh that directs air towards the filter if it would assist in increase fuel trim or if that would just create additional drag.

As for the box design problem, that is a problem especially since I think our 10th gen civic engine bays are kinda compact as is. I'm coming from an Acura Integra which had an insane amount of space to this. The 1.5T has even less than the 2.0 NA with all the turbo piping and plumbing so I feel especially bad for the turbo owners.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if having the ram air intake AND having another source of air would improve anything or hinder. I was wondering about running a small hole in the eye trim mesh that directs air towards the filter if it would assist in increase fuel trim or if that would just create additional drag.
I tested this idea in a thread I called 'Great Intake Test'. Again, this is on my 2015 Honda Fit. I had tested many homemade intake setups at the dragstrip,changing the intakes at the dragstrips and running again. Air filters, intake lengths,diameters, cold air, short ram, etc, etc.

I was thinking like you and made an intake that was fed cold air from the front grill and foglight area simultaneously.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake rpmo9mq_dca0fd21c63104020e3a730c1e8559eb9d82c7bd

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake vr8fgjm_ceea4dc93cb11e50fe8054ec65888cc112cd5047

Called it the 'Myxal Dual Ram PRM Intake' since I was using a PRM air filter. Had a video up of it but have since removed it.
Edit: Found my old video.

My 1/4 mile time and traps speeds were slightly slower than Myxal SRI-CAI, which had air being fed to the intake from one cold air source.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake ayfsqm_9100c07e70a7ea71c93ea4ad429ab003ce5fd46e

I am not sure if I mentioned it in the thread I made the intakes in but my video recorded Android Torque Pro readings showed that the dual cold air intake showed my engine having a volumetric efficiency between 102-104%. The single cold air intake (Myxal SRI-CAI that you see above) had a volumetric efficiency of 105-107%. I'm not saying this is an official reading, etc. The Torque Pro software I used as a personal tool. Perhaps the better volumetric efficiency of the single cold air entry was due to the air being rammed up to the throttle body and/or intake in only one direction. As for the dual ram CAI, the air coming from either of those directions have another path to flow in besides just going into the throttle body. Just some food for thought!

Also, I know the two intake designs are completely different. Better if I had a single tube off of my PRM intake vs dual intake tubes. This was for personal testing that I was sharing with the community. There were no intakes out for the 3rd gen Fit at that time.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW just thinking about this reminds me of the Eventuri intake which also uses the filter in reverse.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake ayfsqm_9100c07e70a7ea71c93ea4ad429ab003ce5fd46e

Great design tips to prevent water getting sucked in.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake unnamed-5-1024x512

Here's a great article about what a change in airflow does with the maf sensor readings.Even with the same size pipe as stock ,you'll get different flow when adding a small radius.This just shows how the stock maf sensor readings work and how they are so sensitive to changes.https://wilhelmraceworks.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=42

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake 20210322_111739

I can't let this idea go. Will try to get some things together within the next week so I can box in the air filter. Will be fun to see any differences on datalogs.

Hoping off idle acceleration could be improved slightly since the volume of air available will include the air inside the box as well.....before it encounters any pressure drop/restriction from the air filter (which is probably little to none anyways).

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im working on a short ram design that would seal as a box once the hood closes. The fresh air feed would be from the grill as the oem did but would also be as close to sealed as possible and I have entertained taking that one step further and creating a lower grill block partially to see if that benefits.
@PowerPerLiter Did you ever complete this design?