Myxal WTF Intake

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was sitting back thinking about ideas on intakes and this idea came to mind. I call it the 'Myxal WTF Intake'. When you see the pic below, you may say 'WTF'. :crazy: The air filter is in reverse of what we typically would assume an intake should be.

It utilizes the driver's side fog light with the Honda Sensing hole as the air intake portion. You install a funnel that captures the air at this location and directs the air up to maf sensor location. However, on the tube/pipe/device that you have leading up to that location, you install the air filter itself. The surround the air filter with a large open box of sorts that have the maf sensor connected to it.

This serves a few purposes:
1) Easy air filter cleaning.
2) Big open box area for the turbo to have immediate air pull from off idle vs a tube that'd empty out quicker.
3) Big open box area for incoming air to build up at when letting off the throttle. The ram-air like incoming air at the foglight should help with fuel economy since getting back on the throttle will have some extra air available. **In Theory**
4) If paranoid, can make very tiny hole at top of box in case of driving into water that'd cover the foglight area.

I was concerned about turbulence at the maf sensor since a filter isn't attached (or maf sensor screen of sorts) to 'straighten' out the air flow. However, intakes like the PRL comes off a bend and go straight into the maf sensor without issue. Even with a larger maf sensor (PRL Race Maf), turbulence doesn't seem to be an issue, with nothing in front of it to slow down/straighten out the air.

Just sharing some thoughts. I've done this on other forums and usually make the silly intakes to test at a dragstrip. If it seems easy to throw together, will post. :dunno:

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake Myxal Intake

Feel free to share your thoughts. I welcome compliments as well a humiliation. Will be interesting to test though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake 20190518_105025

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake 20190518_174856

Last edited:

JC671

Youtube: JaySi.671
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI, '90 GTR, '10 370z, '90 Mr2 Turbo
Country flag
Have you looked into the FKX cold air / ram intake yet? It’s the same way just pulls from the fog light area. I somewhat understand your concept but there’s already a production ram style in the fkx. Just thought I’d share, maybe you have a different thing in mind

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you looked into the FKX cold air / ram intake yet? It’s the same way just pulls from the fog light area. I somewhat understand your concept but there’s already a production ram style in the fkx. Just thought I’d share, maybe you have a different thing in mind
Yeah, same general concept. I'm just talking about utilizing a wider air inlet at the foglight and a larger air filter. Same idea though.

I have off this weekend and would like to cobble something together but am currently in the middle of datalogging for something.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do you need a tune to use it?
No. Custom tuning is always best to maximize any performance part, but it is a full bolt on and compatible with the stock tune or tuner basemaps

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some early preliminary spy photos. :crazy: I've included a short video above as well. So people can see what this would look like in their engine bay.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake 20190517_134353

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal WTF Intake 20190517_134306

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some early preliminary spy photos. :crazy: I've included a short video above as well. So people can see what this would look like in their engine bay.

20190517_134353.jpg

20190517_134306.jpg
Lol filter in the engine bay will still have higher iats then if it was in the fender well.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you tested it yet? 27Won I used it before since their intake is in an enclose box it warms up much quicker. Only time Iat's drop is under a good amount of acceleration since it's pulling air from the fenderwell. Engine is usually hot right and that heat stays around. But with a true CAI the filter is in a spot that's not hot and usual temps are a few degrees over ambient.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you tested it yet?
Nope! I just thought of this at work the other night. I guess we'll have to see then.

There will be no intake cooler than this. It's because it's a 'Myxal' intake.
I'll post a video when I'm done this version since I was working on another. We can see then. Maybe I'll put a rough version of it together soon.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I genuinely dont think it will be ideal. The filter media will create a pressure drop in the ram air inlet negating any effect it may have had if the air was being PULLED THROUGH the filter by the turbo. Rather than just damming off fresh air flow. The air will "stack" against the filter in my opinion to some degree. Not a deal breaker as it should be effective in design if it was completely sealed and only after boost has started pulling air through the system.

I dig the creativity and my thoughts on the filter media may in fact be negligible....let us know.

Im working on a short ram design that would seal as a box once the hood closes. The fresh air feed would be from the grill as the oem did but would also be as close to sealed as possible and I have entertained taking that one step further and creating a lower grill block partially to see if that benefits.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I genuinely dont think it will be ideal. The filter media will create a pressure drop in the ram air inlet negating any effect it may have had if the air was being PULLED THROUGH the filter by the turbo. Rather than just damming off fresh air flow. The air will "stack" against the filter in my opinion to some degree. Not a deal breaker as it should be effective in design if it was completely sealed and only after boost has started pulling air through the system.

I dig the creativity and my thoughts on the filter media may in fact be negligible....let us know.

Im working on a short ram design that would seal as a box once the hood closes. The fresh air feed would be from the grill as the oem did but would also be as close to sealed as possible and I have entertained taking that one step further and creating a lower grill block partially to see if that benefits.

Thanks for your pointers and response. I will be looking forward to your design and your findings as well. I love this stuff.

Yeah, not so much trying to make a 'ram-air' affect. Too many turns involved. Air don't like changing direction. I am however trying to negate any pressure drop losses that may be there from the stock filter back to the stock turbo inlet. I have plans for the turbo inlet (27Won's enlarged unit IF they ever make it) and post turbo (I've already ordered a Depo Racing intercooler and intercooler piping). I'll definitely test this stuff indeed. 1/4 mile times and trap speeds will tell the tale. My days of theorizing were over years ago. :)

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I enjoy it too. A little time and experimenting goes a long way. I think someone is missing a market of a subtle inlet mod/ diverter plate
setup which would dramatically benefit even a stock car from what im seeing. Look at the r setup by comparison. Lol. Our inlet mods are lacking.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx