Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you like the short ram vs the cold air intake? Do you see any difference in performance?
The short ram is better overall ONLY in that it's less hassle. Meaning, you just attach it to to your turbo inlet pipe and be good. No worries of hydrolock from filter being submerged underwater. No extra work to make it cold air. Easy cleaning of the filter in the engine bay. Now mind you, I don't worry about this stuff but in general, short ram just so easy.

Also, I recommend shortram if you upgrade your intercooler while using a Ktuner Stage 2, TSP Stage one or some other tune. As soon as the boost gets turned up, an upgraded intercooler is worth it. Then the performance hit is almost zero with a short ram. Only drawbrack is taking off from a dead stop, while it is sucking in hot engine bay air. As soon as you start moving, you are good.

However, routing cool air up to the short ram air intake had a measurable performance gain. That's why I posted the 1/4 mile times above. Same week, same temperatures and the cold air intake ran quicker 1/4 mile times.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dragonov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
The short ram is better overall ONLY in that it's less hassle. Meaning, you just attach it to to your turbo inlet pipe and be good. No worries of hydrolock from filter being submerged underwater. No extra work to make it cold air. Easy cleaning of the filter in the engine bay. Now mind you, I don't worry about this stuff but in general, short ram just so easy.

Also, I recommend shortram if you upgrade your intercooler while using a Ktuner Stage 2, TSP Stage one or some other tune. As soon as the boost gets turned up, an upgraded intercooler is worth it. Then the performance hit is almost zero with a short ram. Only drawbrack is taking off from a dead stop, while it is sucking in hot engine bay air. As soon as you start moving, you are good.

However, the cold air intake had a measurable performance gain. That's why I posted the 1/4 mile times above. Same week, same temperatures and the cold air intake ran quicker 1/4 mile times.
So if I already have a cold air intake It would be better to stay with it then switch to a short ram?

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So if I already have a cold air intake It would be better to stay with it then switch to a short ram?
In my opinion, Yes!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my continued quest of testing and making small changes to try to continue to improve things, I just ordered some 'Xfasten Professional Aluminum Foil Tape' from Amazon. I am expecting it to arrive tomorrow. The duct tape that I am currently using loses its adhesiveness (Stickyness) shortly after putting it on, when it's exposed to the engine bay heat. The manufacturer states that the Xfasten Professional Aluminum Foil tape can handle from 40°F/4.4°C to 200°F/93.3°C.

This change is being done in the hopes that it'll keep the cardboard box sealed as much as possible from heat while preventing any cool air that gets inside the box from getting out (Ex: Like while on the highway but coasting, foot off the throttle).

If I get it applied and the weather holds up, I'll be testing it at a dragstrip tomorrow night to see if any noticeable change results. ;)

XFasten Professional Aluminum Foil Tape

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tape has already arrived. Wasn't expecting it until later today. Go Amazon! I'll get to removing the intake, re-applying a couple of layers of aluminum foil and seal it off with this tape. I don't expect anything but you never know.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake JC Sports Intake - XT6

Meanwhile, I have to take the Misses to the doctor. She hurt her neck after being in an accident this past Wednesday with her 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT) aka The Cookie Monster. The other person involved ran through a stop sign. Hope things are cool with her neck. Cookie Monster was buckled up though so he's ok.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Possible Tranny Number

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Tranny ECU Number

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Cookie Monster

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry cookie monster had a boo boo. Glad your wife is basically OK (neck exam pending). :thumbsup:

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry cookie monster had a boo boo. Glad your wife is basically OK (neck exam pending). :thumbsup:
Thanks! She's generally ok. This was her first car and she detailed it for the first time the weekend before the accident.. Needless to say, she was PISSED. We bought both of ours the same month in November 2017. She only has 6k miles on hers though. :(

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my continued quest for improvements to the intake, I'm looking to make an airtight intake box. Not just visually but to KNOW it is airtight. This should improve volumetric efficiency, keep any cool air pushed into the box inside the box and keep any hot air outside of the box from possibly getting through any cracks. I'm currently getting between 51-54mpg on the highway. I didn't post here but I now have an Si turbo and Si turbo inlet installed.

Posting a link to an Autospeed Article here for personal reference (And for anyone else that would like to experiment). Every little bit counts!

BTW: The aluminum foil tape I purchased works excellent and is still holding up well (Sticking). Will be using this in current and future homemade intake projects. :beer:

In other intake news,
Waiting for 27Won turbo inlet pipe to be completed. Heads up...PRL announced that they too are working on a turbo inlet pipe for the 1.5ltr engine. Both 27Won and PRL Motorsports are hoping to have their turbo inlet pipes completed by end of 2019 (At least the prototypes to be completed. I hope I'm not spreading misinformation here but this is my understanding of both. Will see either way.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
In my continued quest for improvements to the intake, I'm looking to make an airtight intake box. Not just visually but to KNOW it is airtight. This should improve volumetric efficiency, keep any cool air pushed into the box inside the box and keep any hot air outside of the box from possibly getting through any cracks. I'm currently getting between 51-54mpg on the highway. I didn't post here but I now have an Si turbo and Si turbo inlet installed.

Posting a link to an Autospeed Article here for personal reference (And for anyone else that would like to experiment). Every little bit counts!

BTW: The aluminum foil tape I purchased works excellent and is still holding up well (Sticking). Will be using this in current and future homemade intake projects. :beer:

In other intake news,
Waiting for 27Won turbo inlet pipe to be completed. Heads up...PRL announced that they too are working on a turbo inlet pipe for the 1.5ltr engine. Both 27Won and PRL Motorsports are hoping to have their turbo inlet pipes completed by end of 2019 (At least the prototypes to be completed. I hope I'm not spreading misinformation here but this is my understanding of both. Will see either way.
I know PRL is working on the type r inlet..... As far as I know they are not pursuing the SI inlet. Maybe you know something I don't? I saw a post saying they were not interested in R&D for the SI inlet pipe. Maybe they changed their mind after 27won started moving on it? :dunno:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know PRL is working on the type r inlet..... As far as I know they are not pursuing the SI inlet. Maybe you know something I don't? I saw a post saying they were not interested in R&D for the SI inlet pipe. Maybe they changed their mind after 27won started moving on it? :dunno:
it was posted as a teaser on social media

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake c_oc=AQk2UkmidXtMb82GUCDNgi-BjozML7WRmLOfVjj54Dv6sOf6QnpN1zP8RpLplKKR0rA&_nc_ht=scontent.fgum1-1

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is not going to look pretty folks. :D

Toyed with the car this morning and finished off the intake for now. Pics posted below. The open end of the box is to not restrict the flow of air to the filter too much. As I said above, I wanted to wall off the part of the air filter where the radiator fan blows directly on to it. So at idle, yes the engine bay is going to be hot no doubt. However, since the engine isn't sucking in a ton of air idling, a good portion of the heat being blown by the radiator fan can be blown around the air filter. This will help some since the air will constantly be moving. I didn't cover the top portion so much because it's sealed by the hood for one. Two, heat rises so if some happen to be over the air filter at idle (and it will), some can simply move over pass it.

The bottom of the box is open to the PRL piece that is coming out of the foglight.

So for a quick summary!
1) The intake was shortened as much as possible. Turbos like short intakes.
2) The intake immediately opens up as wide as it can to the biggest maf sensor I could use (PRL Race maf). Turbos like wider diameter.
3) After the maf sensor, the biggest air filter I could find was put on. Turbo's like big air filters.
4) Tried to isolate some of the heat blowing on the air filter. Turbo's like cooler inlet air temperatures.
5) The cold air was routed to the foglight area. This area I believe has the highest air pressure coming to it. I can post a pic to demonstrate.
6) The cold air piping is smooth (Using PRL Cobra silicone hose as well as other smooth bending silicone hoses. Air doesn't like sharp bends (slows down) and don't like ridges in the intake (Air slows down again).

So...this is the contraption I have at the moment. If I feel a change would help a little, I'll continue to change it. That's all for now.

Myxal SRI - CAI - 1.jpg

Myxal SRI - CAI - 2.jpg

Myxal SRI - CAI - 3.jpg

Myxal SRI - CAI - 4.jpg

Myxal SRI - CAI - 5.jpg

Myxal SRI - CAI - 6.jpg

I'm going to test my fully enclosed SRI-CAI against this hideous contraption above. I never did test it out. Trying to see if the fully enclosed box's cooler air can offset the open box's freer flow (Possibly freer flow). Will see! I've been checking the temps daily and Friday night looks to be nice. If one of the two intakes perform better than the other and 1/4 mile times seem good, I may be testing again Saturday morning since it'll be even cooler. Hoping for the best. Will report back as always.

I have held off changing my exhaust back to stock (Front pipe back) since I don't want to possibly screw with the results of testing. I have not gained any better (or worse) 1/4 mile times or trap speeds by changing out the Front pipe back to the mufflers to 3" sized piping.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It must sound good! Any vids ? And link to buy the filter?
@HatchPanda I think I can answer this properly now. It's loud as hell. It doesnt bother me at all though. However, I floored the car and let off a couple of times while my wife was in the car. The sound bothered her so much that she asked me to never do that again with her in the car. :doh: And she drives a 2018 sport but with no mods.

I thought of my response to your post so hence my 2nd reply. Yeah, it's loud and VERY noticable.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
**5/18/20 Update**

Well, it doesn't look like this is final just yet. I have ordered the 27Won Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) on 4/3/20. The one I ordered is for the Si and with the race maf. At the moment, the silicone connector that goes from the 27WON Tip to the race maf is on backorder. I don't need this part or the race maf since I already have these pieces so just waiting for the 27WON TIP to be sent.

Once I receive it, I'll take pics of what I have in mind and will show pics of it installed. There are plenty of pics of it installed on other Civics, especially with the 27WON intake or a setup similar to PRL's CAI. What I will be doing is gold wrapping the 27WON TIP. I'll connect the PRL Race maf directly to it (with no transition---I'll explain later) and to a large air filter. The air filter will be a SRI however, it'll sit on top of the black funnel I have installed, which leads down to the driver's side foglight area. So cool air will be pushed in underneath the air filter. I will not be boxing in the air filter.

If this is a route you think you may take, keep in mind that if you connect a maf sensor housing to your stock TIP (or 27WON's TIP), your maf sensor wiring harness needs to be able to reach the maf sensor. It's not long enough stock. I had it extended so it could connect to the maf sensor housing that's connected directly to the TIP. It just happens to work out in this case as well.

That's my short update for now. I'm very excited about this and am impatiently waiting (can't help it) for the 27Won TIP to be shipped. Until then...............
Sponsored

Last edited: