Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stage 2 is completed. It is just an aluminum barrier to try to keep the heat from blowing directly on the intake or minimize radiant heat from the downpipe and turbocharger from easy access to the intake. There are three layers of aluminum foil here. I may add an additional piece right at the turbo inlet.

You may notice that I have the aluminum at the top part of the grill being held on by the hood piece there. I removed the pieced that hold it down, lifted it up and moved the aluminum underneath it and re-installed the pieces. This is to help hold the aluminum in place. I'll take a look at it after a few long drives to see if the engine bay airflow is moving it around.

No, I am not recommending anyone do this. Perhaps it could affect the engine bay airflow in a negative way. Perhaps heat may be 'trapped' underneath and destroy your engine. I just wanted to get that part out of the way.

I am now calling this aluminum barrier the
MyxAluminum Heat Bridge :p:beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190615_115647

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190615_115235

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After looking at the final pics, I didn't like the fact that I didn't have a MyxAluminum Heat Bridge underneath the maf sensor. I know it's already heat wrapped but what the hell. Why not! So I added another piece.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190615_130540

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190615_130929

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Couldn't find the other thread you were talking about the h badge being in the way.... here's your other option even though i think it's ugly af lol

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Couldn't find the other thread you were talking about the h badge being in the way.... here's your other option even though i think it's ugly af lol

Yesssss! That's it! It's half the price too. And you are right. It is ugly AF. :love: I want it.

I just ordered it. :beer:

Thanks @PowerPerLiter for sending me this info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking at this thread ---> Downpipe Blanket is encouraging. I like how the OP wrapped his smaller lines that generates heat. I'm posting this here because all of this is to reduce engine bay heat, which is to reduce any heat from carrying over to the air intake. Did the engineers purposely make this part metal so it'll cool off better (by radiator fan air blowing over the engine)? I mean, the thin metal lines could've simply been rubber or whatever it is at both ends of them. Interesting!

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Thermal Wra

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
My next step would be small naca duct sealed to the airbox in the hood. Baffle creatively/ reference production examples to prevent as much water intrusion as possible.

Or i may just vent the hood like my DSM.

Im getting to a point that you can see 6-13 degree deltas while steady moving with a conventional sri, and that's about it.

Still susceptible to heat soak while stationary, as it seems all of them are, even the true cold air's.

Which brings up the engine bay heat just ultimately being the culprit on longer commutes. Ive always wished of an easy solution for this.

Looking at the fender vents on the ctr i believe similar "ventilation" can happen to very small degree on our cars.

We have little foam fender pieces which stop any possible flow escaping the bay. These also stop noise vibration and harshness to a very small degree. Easy to take out and put back by being careful.

1 snap retainer on top and a molded into the foam stud push pin that goes in at a 90* angle into the frame.

May be something to test if you haven't although effects may be marginal at best. Maybe it could be improved upon?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed the aftermarket grill today. Remember, I did this to help bring more air towards the radiator. And more air into the engine, to help bring down engine bay temperature. This should help keep the intake piping cooler, even if by only a little bit. Every little bit counts.

Comparison pics!
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_154333

Figured while I'm down here, why not install the black airhorn piece I posted about earlier. The PRL hose in the foglight is 4" in diameter which is great and nothing wrong with it. The air horn is 6" across though and it funnels down to 4". I figured with it being a wider piece, it could 'capture' more air and bring it in, into the 4" opening. So, I installed it. It makes the blue hose more subtle looking at the foglight as well. So.......the more air forced (rammed) in, the better.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_153716

View attachment 159007

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_161057

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_153646

While the bumper was off, I checked the connections to the Depo Intercooler to make sure they were still tight. Also, if you look to the bottom left of the intercooler, there is a rubber flapper piece there. It helps to guide air towards the stock intercooler. Problem is with the Depo intercooler, you can see it blocking off some of the airflow there. So I cut the part that was blocking the air off. You can see the improvement below in the completed pics.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_150213

This is almost complete. The eyelids have an adhesive backing which can't stick to anything. So I ended up installing the stock eyelids shortly after this. I'll try to get a clearer picture of this completed with the hood down tomorrow. About to take my wife out for her Bday dinner. My wife likes it. It don't look to bad. Probably not cooler looking but it should be cooler functioning than the stock piece.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_161109

I had a moment before leaving for dinner and took this last pic. It's a frontal pic of everything completed. Below is the finished pic of the aftermarket grill installed. Below it is the stock grill right before I removed it. Should've taken a pic of the hood closed but you can see a million stock grill pics on here. Just posting before and after so you can somewhat see the difference in extra air allowed to come through the grill.

You can also see through the driver's side foglight how much wider the the 'ram-air' funnel tube is than just using the PRL silicone hose tube by itself. Again, it's the little differences I go after to have a bigger overall effect.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_183122

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190622_142156

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. That looks good and certainly should help with IAT's. Nice. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Myx

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the aftermarket grill today. Remember, I did this to help bring more air towards the radiator. And more air into the engine, to help bring down engine bay temperature. This should help keep the intake piping cooler, even if by only a little bit. Every little bit counts.

Comparison pics!
20190622_154333.jpg

Figured while I'm down here, why not install the black airhorn piece I posted about earlier. The PRL hose in the foglight is 4" in diameter which is great and nothing wrong with it. The air horn is 6" across though and it funnels down to 4". I figured with it being a wider piece, it could 'capture' more air and bring it in, into the 4" opening. So, I installed it. It makes the blue hose more subtle looking at the foglight as well. So.......the more air forced (rammed) in, the better.
20190622_153716.jpg

View attachment 159007

20190622_161057.jpg

20190622_153646.jpg

While the bumper was off, I checked the connections to the Depo Intercooler to make sure they were still tight. Also, if you look to the bottom left of the intercooler, there is a rubber flapper piece there. It helps to guide air towards the stock intercooler. Problem is with the Depo intercooler, you can see it blocking off some of the airflow there. So I cut the part that was blocking the air off. You can see the improvement below in the completed pics.
20190622_150213.jpg

This is almost complete. The eyelids have an adhesive backing which can't stick to anything. So I ended up installing the stock eyelids shortly after this. I'll try to get a clearer picture of this completed with the hood down tomorrow. About to take my wife out for her Bday dinner. My wife likes it. It don't look to bad. Probably not cooler looking but it should be cooler functioning than the stock piece.
20190622_161109.jpg

I had a moment before leaving for dinner and took this last pic. It's a frontal pic of everything completed. Below is the finished pic of the aftermarket grill installed. Below it is the stock grill right before I removed it. Should've taken a pic of the hood closed but you can see a million stock grill pics on here. Just posting before and after so you can somewhat see the difference in extra air allowed to come through the grill.

You can also see through the driver's side foglight how much wider the the 'ram-air' funnel tube is just using the PRL tube by itself. Again, it's the little differences I go after to have a bigger overall effect.
20190622_183122.jpg

20190622_142156.jpg
Looks really good dude!! Excellent...looking forward to testing data!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My next step would be small naca duct sealed to the airbox in the hood. Baffle creatively/ reference production examples to prevent as much water intrusion as possible.

Or i may just vent the hood like my DSM.

Im getting to a point that you can see 6-13 degree deltas while steady moving with a conventional sri, and that's about it.

Still susceptible to heat soak while stationary, as it seems all of them are, even the true cold air's.

Which brings up the engine bay heat just ultimately being the culprit on longer commutes. Ive always wished of an easy solution for this.

Looking at the fender vents on the ctr i believe similar "ventilation" can happen to very small degree on our cars.

We have little foam fender pieces which stop any possible flow escaping the bay. These also stop noise vibration and harshness to a very small degree. Easy to take out and put back by being careful.

1 snap retainer on top and a molded into the foam stud push pin that goes in at a 90* angle into the frame.

May be something to test if you haven't although effects may be marginal at best. Maybe it could be improved upon?

I notice on my 1997 Outback Sport, the engine bay would never seem to be too hot. It has a hood scoop for an intercooler in the middle, a scoop on the passenger side for the air intake and a vent on the drivers side. So perhaps hood vents would resolve the Civic problem.

We could either get the heat out of the engine bay as best as possible while idle. (Hood Vents)
Or reduce the amount of heat the engine creates. (Cooler Thermostat)

Or a combination of the two.

Your Naca duct idea seems interesting. Never heard of it. Researching it now.

dragonov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I am literally typing this as I go through to try to make something. I have no idea if it'll even come together. Who cares.

I'm using a Mishimoto maf sensor housing. I don't have the proper silicone hose or air filter to connect to the pipe that connects to the turbo inlet. I am about to head out to get a silicone reducer and what I call a BAAF (Big As* Air Filter). The pictures I have below is only partially what I have in mind. I plan on making a tube(s) to route down to the foglight area.

I'm sure there will be a ton of questions.
  1. Do you REALLY think what you are doing is better than the stock intake?
  2. The company has made the best intake and invested millions of dollars in it. You can't improve it. Why?
  3. You are purchasing a PRL CAI, you can't make an intake better than theirs. Why?
  4. That looks so ghetto. Why?
  5. What about your fuel trims?
  6. What about turbulence?
  7. Wtf?
  8. Etc....
I figure I'd help some of you out and get those out of the way. Instead of answering each one of those like I used to do WAY back in the day, I answer like I have been answering as of late. The answer is.....Because I can! :lol: I'm only interested in reducing that 1/4 mile time and trap speed you see in my sig.

Now I'm out to pick up some parts. Will update! :headbang:

Air Filters 1.jpg

Air Filters.jpg

Mitsimoto Maf Sensor.jpg

Air Filters 2.jpg

In my haste to show this part, I was holding the wrong end (Air Filter End) up to the stock intake piping. Oops!
Mitsimoto Maf Sensor 2.jpg

Below articles are just for personal reference. Please Disregard!!
A Technical Discussion of Intakes and Turbocharging

The effect of Intake Air on Turbocharged Vehicles
How intake air temperature affect turbo cars and dealing with IATs
Eliminating Negative Boost - Autospeed
What makes the best intake - Grassroots Motorsports
High/Low Air Pressure Locations on Car - Autospeed
Intelligent Modifications: Measuring Intake Restrictions
Seeking Performance Perfection: Honda Intake Dyno Testing
Air Intake Harmonic Tuning Test Result
Vararam Ram Air Theory
Compressor Efficiency and More
(value MAF g / s) / 0.82 = hp

My personal quote/info from old Honda Fit thread I posted in another forum. Can't remember source of the info.
How do you like the short ram vs the cold air intake? Do you see any difference in performance?
Sponsored