Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some more pics of the foglight. After some more thinking, I'm not going to enlarge the whole. Despite wanting to do it, it seems pointless. Looking into the foglight hole, you can see the upper portion of the foglight has a metal plate. If I were to cut a bigger hole into the foglight, the metal plate would be blocking off some of the incoming air. So, I have decided to work with the hole that is available, which makes things a lot easier.

Also, took a pic of the PRL CAI piece so you can get a better look inside at the curve the air would have to take while entering your vehicle. I have silicone tubing to make this happen. Just a matter of cutting it up. Make sure if you do something like this that the air travels in a smooth motion around the turns. No angles! Every little bit helps. And if it doesn't help, it won't hurt to be smooth.

As it sits right now, the Myxal SRI-CAI is drawing in air from this location. The box is temporary. I'd like to have a box that is absolutely air tight, heat wrapped and as large as possible. Just testing things at the moment as it sits. Will drive it around later to see how it feels. I don't expect anything. I never do.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_172802

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_172744

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_172735

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to get something out of the way about this experiment.

1. I don't recommend anyone do what I'm doing. This is just for self experimentation and documentation. I've always done this and post on the boards in case someone else like to toy around with their own ideas.
  2. I like using cardboard because it's cheap and easy to work with. Sometimes I change it to something more durable, sometimes I leave it in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I always use cardboard with aluminum foil wrapped around it though, to keep the heat off the cardboard and prevent/slow-down heat from entering the box/container I'm using.
  3. Normal engine temperature is 90c-104c (195F-220F).
  4. Cardboard ignites at 258c (496F). This is the reason why I'm not concerned with the cardboard catching fire. It's also wrapped in aluminum foil AND has cool air traveling through it. Not recommending anyone try or do this. Just explaining why I do. Never have had a problem with it.
Sorry for the rambling. It seems when I get on a new forum and post these kinda of posts, these concerns come up. Which is ok. Just showing why I'm 'cool' with using this and testing this way. :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funnel piece I ordered came in today. The diameter is larger than the shiny piece I posted above.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_184635

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_184900

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_184838

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This project (As well as my Myxal WTF Intake) may come to a screaming halt, based on some recent posts I read about cold air intakes on turbocharged cars.
Look at these quotes ~~~>|

For understanding purposes only:

FACTS.................

Note: In a FI vehicle, the air entering the combustion is after the IC. So, adding an aftermarket intake (claiming to provide more "cold air") is a moot subject. That colder air is being compressed and heated up by the compressor, then through the IC to be cooled - before being added to the combustion. A higher efficiency drop-in filter would function just the same (especially on a limited turbo). All that is needed is to have increased velocity.
From this Thread

After putting on my map intake my iat1 gets hotter than stock box but iat2 is the same or even lower(10-20 above ambient). I also have a PRL Intercooler. From what I’ve read around on other forums etc the benefit of colder pre turbo air is that colder denser air is better for the turbo to compress, the turbocharger has to work less compared to compressing hotter air. I’m not sure how accurate that is on this scale of temp difference. I did a lot of research on it before getting the map intake cause I was worried about losing power with higher iat1. Also from drob instagram page he recently tuned a full MAPerformance bolt on car that made basically the same power as full bolt on PRL cars on his page. Hopefully someone can give us more knowledgeable info
Yea I have Ktuner so iat1 is pre turbo, and sorry my man but my hotter pre turbo temps has not given me any hotter after Intercooler temps. Maybe in colder areas where ambient temps and under hood temps have a bigger difference it’d be a different story Idk :dunno: I’m not an expert or anything I’m just trying to learn but “colder air in = colder air out” is definitely not true in my specific experience. Also I’m only comparing stock temps to map temps not necessarily true cold air intake temps to hot short ram temps. But my Intercooler is still cooling down to 8-15(during pulls only) above ambient I’m not sure how close to ambient cobra/injen users are getting?
From THIS THREAD

I have no reason to doubt these posters. Turbocharged vehicles are a learning curve for me. I have purchased an aftermarket intercooler so after intstallation, it would make changing my SRI to an SRI-CAI (Or just CAI) a waste. Feel free to share any thoughts on this. I do plan on having some cooler air routed up to it but as it sits, it'll still be exposed to hot engine bay air. The primary benefit of the SRI is possible reduced pressure drop vs the stock intake. Possibly!

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting comments! It does bring up a lot of issues. One of the biggest evidence of the value of CAI intakes is the testing done by Derek Robinson.

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/innovative-motorworks-1-5t-intake-testing/

Why did the CAIs do so much better? Was it the stock intercooler or the restrictive stock airbox?

Lots of food for thought!

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Interesting comments! It does bring up a lot of issues. One of the biggest evidence of the value of CAI intakes is the testing done by Derek Robinson.

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/innovative-motorworks-1-5t-intake-testing/

Why did the CAIs do so much better? Was it the stock intercooler or the restrictive stock airbox?

Lots of food for thought!
I'd say restrictive stock airbox + prls awesome design with the MAF housing
I noticed the prl website lists similar gains between SRI and cai. Youd think the cai would be way better due to the heat soak of the sri but the intercooler seems to negate those high temps. Prl nailed the design of the MAF housing, I'd be curious to see dyno numbers of cai vs those of the SRI.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just left the dragstrip. Was testing the installation of a Depo Racing Intercooler I just had installed along with the Myxal SRI. The bad news is since I had the intercooler installed all my 60ft times were in the 2.3 range with one at 2.40. Ewwww! I need to see how to get off the line quicker with the larger intercooler piping and intercooler. Yesterday, before the Depo Racing intercooler install, flooring the car from a dead stop would have the front tires screaming for traction.

The good news is that my trap speeds are the best they have ever been. They went up by 2.5 to almost 3mph in some cases.

Here is an interesting modification that no-one will do in the future. The PRL silicone piece that connect to the PRL Race Maf to the PRL Cobra CAI piece. I wasn't doing anything with it. I already had the PRL CAI air filter removed to make a ram-air sorta (Not real ram-air, I know) coming in from the fog light. My mechanic took the PRL silicone hose and relocated it to the other side of the PRL Cobra CAI piece. That's what you see in the pic below. It looks like it was almost made to go there and be a ram-air piece. Haha! So this is how my car sits at the moment. At anytime I want to utilize the piece below my air filter in the engine bay and box the filter in, it'll be a 'true' CAI again. Better than the original PRL CAI. Feel free to try this at home at your own risk. It can't hurt my setup so what the hell. I like it so far.

This was not planned at all. It just kinda happened on a whim. My thinking shifts like this all the time.

This silicone piece is connected to where PRL's air filter would be at. Look at how it fits. Awesome!
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRL Ram Air - 1

Here is where cool air will flow into the PRL silicone hose and Cobra piece, up to the air filter in my engine bay. An advantage to using the PRL piece is that inside the silicone hose, the surface is smoother than using flexible dryer hose, with ridges. Air slows down on ridges/rough surfaces. Better over smooth surfaces. Also, the turns are smoother. Not hard, dramatic 90 degree angle turns. I likey!
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRL Ram Air - 3

If you have been following me at all (And 99.9999% of people don't, I'm not important), you'll notice that I do a bunch of little things. Like smooth turns in a hose, smooth surfaces, larger diameter piping, shorter air intakes, bigger air filters, larger maf sensor, quick transitions to large diameter piping, etc, etc etc. I don't count on any one thing to make a difference. I do a bunch of small things to have a cumulative affect and have them all work together. It's how I was able to have my 2015 Honda Fit CVT go from running 17.2@82mph to 15.2@92mph with just an intake and exhaust. Same with my 2010 Rav4 V6, that went from 15.2@92mph to 13.6@100mph with just an intake and exhaust modification. Kept making a bunch of little small changes until I felt it was perfect. A bunch of little things go a long way. Trying to apply the same philosophy to this vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went inside my garage to try to find a smaller sized air filter of the same type. Wanted smaller so the filter doesn't overwhelm the inside of the box. This sized filter will not block the pathway of the incoming air, that is coming in the PRL Cobra CAI hole. Just posting up for the visual.

Hitting the track tonight. Would love to test this setup out but I have some other testing to do. It actually may be better for me to test this the hotter it is outside. I can't leave it alone, I don't care if the intercooler is more efficient. My curiosity always kills me. So I'll get around to making this and testing as well as the Myxal WTF intake. Just for shi*s and giggles!

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190524_150525

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190524_150142

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190524_145923

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190524_145910

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went inside my garage to try to find a smaller sized air filter of the same type. Wanted smaller so the filter doesn't overwhelm the inside of the box. This sized filter will not block the pathway of the incoming air, that is coming in the PRL Cobra CAI hole. Just posting up for the visual.

Hitting the track tonight. Would love to test this setup out but I have some other testing to do. It actually may be better for me to test this the hotter it is outside. I can't leave it alone, I don't care if the intercooler is more efficient. My curiosity always kills me. So I'll get around to making this and testing as well as the Myxal WTF intake. Just for shi*s and giggles!

20190524_150525.jpg

20190524_150142.jpg

20190524_145923.jpg

20190524_145910.jpg
its always good to read what youve been up too

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ordered this
Autobahn88 Aluminum Alloy Air Intake Ram Duct Funnel, 4" (102mm), Black
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 71wpuQKL5PL._SL1500_

I will be adding this piece to the PRL Foglight hose so it doesn't look so ghetto.

Meanwhile, for the sake of testing, I'll make another box today and will have air enter into the box via the squarish/rectangularish black funnel I had posted earlier. This is a quick easy setup that I can change at the track. I want to test this way vs pure SRI to see if I'm seeing any differences in my 60ft times at the track. I have been noticing that with the PRL CAI, I can consistently get a better 60ft time vs my SRI but traps speeds are similar with the SRI having the edge. So, checking to see if I get cooler air to the Myxal SRI (SRI-CAI), I can offset the extra heat affecting my 60ft times but still act as mostly an SRI. Will take a pic of the rectangular black piece in my engine bay once my phone charges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drove around today with my laptop and Ktuner running to look at IATs (Intake Air Temperature). Whether I had the Myxal intake boxed in to be a CAI or an open element SRI, it made no difference. Maf sensor intake air temperature was relatively the same. I didn't bother testing wide open throttle runs since people have reported that the intercooler is what makes a difference here, not the intake air temperature. They've measured it and stated this.

So with that, I think I have put together the best of both worlds and have a few pics of it below. I'll follow up to explain why each piece is the way it is later. I have to drive my son to campus.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 4

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 5

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 2

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
How are trims for you? Tried any afm calibrating?

Your standing starts i think the car should learn in better the more your attempting them.

When is the last time you flashed or disconnected the battery?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How are trims for you? Tried any afm calibrating?

Your standing starts i think the car should learn in better the more your attempting them.

When is the last time you flashed or disconnected the battery?

I have no idea how my fuel trims are. I never bothered checking.
I never disconnect the battery. The last time I reflashed was a few weeks ago, right before I went to the dragstrip and got the times in my signature. Tell you what......I'll go downstairs now (1:30am in the morning...:p ) and see if I can take a picture of my short term fuel trims (STFT) and long term fuel trims (LTFT). Perhaps this would let people know what they may encounter if they do a short ram intake.

Remember, I'm using the PRL Race Maf, not the stock one. With my homemade Myxal SRI. This should be interesting. I know people probably expect my fuel trims to be all over the place. Will see! :D
Sponsored