Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It must sound good! Any vids ? And link to buy the filter?
I have no videos. Honestly, I paid no mind to the sound. Doesn't sound like anything worth posting about. My car is pretty quiet (Stock exhaust and all).

I usually post up links to the items I get when I do mods so my apologies. I get my parts from Verocious Motorsports because they are local and the people there are friendly there to me. And they always have anything I want.
4" Silicone Reducer (SKU: #VMSRED4P-225300-BLK)
S&B Powerstack Air Filter (SKU: #SBPS-400-800-POL-BLU) **
Inlet Size: 4"
Element Length: 8"
Cap Color: Polished
Oil Color: Blue

I still have not made a box for the filter but am going to test it as is (Myxal SRI vs PRL Cobra CAI). I took the day off work tomorrow and will be headed to Cecil County Raceway for a test and tune session (9am to 4pm). The weather should be nice and cold with favorable chilliness (40-50F temps, -850ft to -400ft track air density).

@maddmatt02 Honestly, I'm going to try to beat your old time again of 13.7. I'd be happy just to replicate what I previously did. Nah...no I won't. I expect my intake to shave off at least 1/10th. Just putting it out there. This all may be an epic failure with my crappy tires. Will see! :drive: Need to do a couple practice start runs in Mexico tonight to prep.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You better not! :catfight:
Damn it man! I couldn't even get close today. Ugggghhhhh! Perfect weather and track conditions. Temps were between 44f - 45f.

Tested my Myxal SRI against PRL's Cobra CAI.
Current mods are:
PRL Cobra CAI
PRL Race Maf
PRL Downpipe
Ktuner Stage 2 Base map

The results!
Myxal SRI
[email protected] (60ft: 2.336) **'L' Gear**
[email protected] (60ft: 2.377) **'L' Gear**
[email protected] (60ft: 2.349) **'L' Gear**

PRL Cobra CAI
[email protected] (60ft: 2.293) **'L' Gear**
[email protected] (60ft: 2.314) **'L' Gear** :mad:
[email protected] (60ft 2.335) **'D' Gear

I was running 'L' gear because it does what I want the CVT to do (Keep the rpm steady at the peak of the powerband). Perfect! The darn PRL CAI did better than my homemade intake in one of its three runs. Never had that happen before in all the years I've been making intakes. I didn't make it a SRI-CAI yet but still, it surprised me that the PRL setup was a tad bit better in time and trap speed. That's why I test these things.

Everything was perfect. Track prep, temps, wind direction was blowing in the same direction of the track AND a -800/-600ft track air density. Couldn't pull it off. So gotta reach into some more Myxal bag of tricks. I will improve my intake and retest. Science tells me it should be better than the PRL Cobra CAI. Will have to see. For now PRL > Myxal. The Myxal SRI has an average trap speed better than the PRL CAI which is interesting.

Also: All of my 60fts were slower than when I was doing my testing over a year ago. This was surprising. My first two runs I was being 'casual' to take off to prevent wheel spin. After than, I gave it my all but still, no 2.1's or even 2.2 60fts. Not gonna play the coulda/woulda/shoulda game. I know where I'd be if I could've knocked off some 2.17's like I used to do. Scratching my head on this one. I'll figure it out.

On a positive note, my car runs slightly faster with both intakes than it used too, just not as quick. Trap speeds are slightly up but 60ft and mid-track mph is slightly down. Never was successful running in 'L' gear in the past either (wheel spin).
That's all for now. :lol::drive:

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRL CAI

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think have the mystery figured out. The PRL Cobra only did better than the Myxal SRI in that it had a better overall 60ft time. Since I launched pretty much the same all the runs, I'm thinking the Myxal SRI was getting 'heat soaked' (As expected) at idle and while pulling up through the staging lanes. This would cause the slightly slower acceleration coming off the line due to less dense air coming through the intake. Hoping to cobble something together this week and retest asap. Just thinking out loud!

Myxal Notes - 9/20/19
See post #23 in THIS POST in the Fiesta Forum.

The design on the Myxal SRI is a shorter path for air to be sucked in so in noway is it more restrictive. Quality S&B air filter as well. Will see!

Quote from Fiesta Forum here (In case the site closes down, info is lost, etc)

The two factors you are completely dismissing is "available" air and intercooler design (flow charctoristics based on volume, velocity and pressure drop). If both my intakes provide a 3-5 degree above ambient result at speed and you punch it, then theoretically speaking, it boils down to the available air, volume, velocity, materials and fit & finish (design of the intake) whether or not one will make more power than the other. Air inlet temps differ a bit but charge temps are much closer. How do you explain that? I don't disagree that a denser charge will increase power (just as increasing volume AND or velocity will also improve power as well). Another factor is piping length and material used. The longer the length, the more heat it collects in the material AND with added length, the more pressure drop there will be. Try sucking fluid through a short straw v.s. a very long one (it'll be a bit exaggerated but you'll get the idea). Intake "area" (usually associated with filter size and shape) is also a contributing factor in making power. A conical style filter will almost always outflow a flat panel style filter that sits in a box *AND* improve throttle response (because it can more easily grab air from more area). These are all important factors concerning "making increases or decreases in power", not just intercooler efficiency (the ability to decrease charge temps from intake inlet temps).

In my testing between the isolated Cobb intake and exposed FSWERKs, there is no difference at all in charge temps (using the Cobb intercooler) while underway. Keep in mind, one intake is completely enclosed, the other is open style sucking hot air from under the hood... If there is less than 1% difference in charge temps, please explain to me how the Cobb is theoretically making more power than the FSWERKs solely based on "charge temps"? [wink]

Now, in hindsight... the stock IC is a completely different story. I saw a much bigger difference in heat soak and charge temps between the aformentioned intakes. The numbers between ambient, inlet and charge temps are noticeably different (wider) between the Cobb IC and stock. But this may have more to do with the actual design (flow and pressure drop) of the stock IC and it's charge pipes. Heat soak is much more pronounced AND normalization of charge temps took much longer once underway than with the Cobb IC.

The ONLY real world difference I have seen between the open style and enclosed/isolated intakes I have is "off idle heat soak" (less throttle response on very hot days) when sitting in heavy traffic or at a long stop light. This only lasts for a few seconds. Once I get moving, charge temps normalize quite quickly. When I compared the two intakes there was no discernable difference in the relationship between charge temps driving down the road. So perhaps some of those other factors I mentioned are at play here.

I realize most of this is splitting hairs because our stock turbo can only flow so much air. It is in itself a "restriction". This is the MAIN reason aftermarket intakes have shown very little gains over the stock one. It is not because the stock intake is so good but rather it is adequate for use with the stock turbo set-up. Some comaprisons between intake set-ups would be beneficial by people who have gone to bigger turbos (and or even a cyborg set-up).

With that said, I've found over the years that the ability to move air into the turbo trumps having a "cold air intake" when it comes to making power. This is especially true if you have a really good IC design (one with minimal restriction and increased heat transfer). The stock intercooler on the Fiesta ST pretty much sucks, but is to be expected on a lower cost entry level performance car.

Last edited:

HatchPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatckback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think have the mystery figured out. The PRL Cobra only did better than the Myxal SRI in that it had a better overall 60ft time. Since I launched pretty much the same all the runs, I'm thinking the Myxal SRI was getting 'heat soaked' (As expected) at idle and while pulling up through the staging lanes. This would cause the slightly slower acceleration coming off the line due to less dense air coming through the intake. Hoping to cobble something together this week and retest asap. Just thinking out loud!

The design on the Myxal SRI is a shorter path for air to be sucked in so in noway is it more restrictive. Quality S&B air filter as well. Will see!
S&B air filter?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
S&B air filter?
Yes, S&B!

https://www.sbfilters.com/

Also, much happier looking over the data again from the two runs. My Myxal intake was running solidly in the 100mph range with it's trap speed. The PRL Cobra CAI only ran in the 100mph range once and in the 99mph range twice. This would indicate (to me) that the Myxal SRI-CAI is making more power up top. Extra happy to see this. Still not sure why the PRL had that one good run that was better than all runs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have the foglight its
upload_2018-9-4_9-34-40.png

Without the foglight
upload_2018-9-4_9-36-20.png
Wanted to post this here in case it gets lost/deleted in the other thread. Thanks to @dallasjhawk for posting this. I will definitely be implementing this foglight piece into the intake design. Ordering it after posting this.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took all of 15-20 minutes to cobble this up today. Yeah, it's ghetto looking but it's generally what I have in mind. The filter is pretty enclosed. I will probably expand the box outwards towards the battery a little bit. It can be connected to the PRL Cobra CAI piece that goes down to the foglight area though.

Now I'm waiting for my fog light piece to come in that has a hole in it from the factory. I'll connect that up to where the PRL CAI filter would be somehow and start testing it at the dragstrip for results.

I have no expectations. That's why I test.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-7

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-4

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-5

View attachment 150711

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-8

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Received the Honda foglight piece today. Now will have to build a funnel of sorts to direct the air into the PRL Cobra pipe up to the Myxal SRI box.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Foglight

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, did some further testing between the PRL Cobra CAI and the Myxal SRI this Wednesday. This time around, the Myxal SRI was getting heat soaked pretty badly in the staging lanes. What really stood out is my 60ft times again. I don't think the 60ft times being worse with the Myxal SRI is due to it being a short ram intake but because of the hot air being sucked in. Once the car gets moving, the traps speeds seem to equal out. Will be interesting to see how it goes once I have cold air going to it. Just wish I had a shorter route to direct the cold air to the air filter. Can't seem to bring from the stock air intake section without bringing in some warm air with it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRL vs Myxal SRI

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I’m surprised you haven’t tried or checked out the FKX Racing ram air intake!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m surprised you haven’t tried or checked out the FKX Racing ram air intake!
I've been all over that intake. I like the setup. I'm probably a little too critical though.
1) I want... the transition from the turbo-pipe inlet to become as large as possible, as quickly as possible.
2) I want.. as big an air filter as I can fit on it. To simply rule that out as being a restriction, period. (In most cases, it isn't). I don't like the size of the FKX Racing air filter. Great for it's use though.
3) I want... the opening receiving the incoming air to be LARGE. The holes in FKX Racing ram air is cool but I like the width of the stock 'Honda Sensing' fog light opening more.
I really wish our air intake opening for the stock air box was like the Honda Accords stock funnel piece (Pic is in the same thread FKX's ram air is in).
4) I want no ridges in the tubing the air is coming in at. It's already bad enough it has to go through a couple of bends just to get up to the maf sensor. Additional ridges slows down the airflow.

I'm extra extra picky man. I do like their setup though. A lot! I encourage people to test it out to see how they like it.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw this piece on Amazon and ordered it. May make the transition easier inside the foglight to the PRL Cobra CAI piece. I didn't just want a round tube or hose sitting in the opening but something to try to force the air through. Try to remember, I'm doing this all in good fun and I enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously. Fortunately, I tended to get great results on N/A platforms. Turbo....may be different story. I like to document too for reference in future goofy experiments.

Spectre Performance Headlight Funnel 9787
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 71ivwgyj4RL._SL1500_

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been scratching my head at 1/4 mile times I have ran this year while testing the Myxal SRI. Especially what I ran 10 days ago. I may have done something very noobish that has been keeping me from running what I possibly should be running. I'm up 5am in the morning thinking about this now. :rolleyes: I'm not really good with toying with the Ktuner software as I leave the tuning aspect of it to the experts. However, it was brought to my attention yesterday by a tuner (I'm beta testing a tune for CVTs) that my previous tune I was running on was only running a max of 15psi. So the 14.4-14.5 I ran above was only 15psi of boost max.

I went ahead and made some changes after reading through several threads tonight, to get a better understanding on what I may have lost since last year, especially my 60ft time.

Soo........the track opens in approximately 3hrs from typing this. I'm going to upload my changes and head out to the track for some testing. I have no expectations as usual. I will take the PRL Cobra CAI intake piping with me as well, in case I want to switch over at the track for even more comparing. The temperature is forecast to be 60F and may get up to 70F or so before I leave. I'll write the temp on the timeslips.

I'm hoping for better 60ft times. I'll be racing in 'L' as usual. Will update!
I'm determined to meet or beat @maddmatt02 13.7 in this CVT. On 92 octane pump gas only. Because I have too! And I'm crazy and illogical. :spaz: He's got a bigger turbo now so my days are numbered.

Edit/Update:

I didn't get to test the new tune at Cecil County Dragway this morning. They scheduled a rain date for today for a HUGE pro Outlaw shootout event. I should've checked their Facebook page instead of just their website schedule. Oh well!
http://www.cecilcountydragway.com/pdfs/2019/2019-schedule.pdf

Meanwhile, the open air foglight was installed. You can see the PRL CAI's filter mounting point in the background. I already removed the filter. Going to have to have to make a funnel to capture as much of this air that is going through this opening (Possibly will make a much larger opening) and route it to that PRL piece. Could opt for a larger piece if possible but this is convenient at the moment. Turns must be smooth. No sharp angles. Air don't like that. I'm already hating the multi-direction the air has to go before getting to the box. Even still, can't see this setup being worse than stock or any of the aftermarket intakes out now. None of them have 'cold' air being 'forced' into the intake tubing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190518_105025

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190518_174856

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is Myxal SRI-CAI 1.0. Just to see what it can look like. The foglight piece isn't hooked up to the PRL CAI tube yet. Just wanted to get a visual on the angle the air would be coming in at.

I'd like for the fog light hole to be bigger. I also don't like wasting any hole space, allowing for incoming air to pass by the funnel. The shiny funnel isn't even the piece I'll be using but it was laying around and convienent to put in place.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_160556

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_160603

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20190519_160620

Last edited: