Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
made myself one home made this morning!!! really loving it!
same as my previous Af dynamic......
seems quicker and better trottle too......

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake diy intake 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake diy intak

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
made myself one home made this morning!!! really loving it!
same as my previous Af dynamic......
seems quicker and better trottle too......
Very cool! I am glad you like it. :headbang:

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welp.....guess I may as well finish what I started. I never did post the larger air filter I purchased at the end of last year. It's been sitting in the garage so I went in and unwrapped it. Here is a pic of it next to the smaller filter I had originally installed and tested at the track.

I will take a picture of it installed tomorrow as I have the day off. What I plan on doing it testing it against the PRL CAI I will be installing. What I plan on doing is enclosing the big air filter in a box and utilizing the PRL CAI tube. It may not be able to fit because I measured the filter to fill that whole space from the maf sensor to the ECU on the right side. Even if everything does fit, I'll still need to be able to extend the maf sensor further to the left to connect it. It'll all make sense later. I like doing this stuff as I've learned a TON from doing this over the years on all of my other vehicles. And ALL of the intakes I've made made more hp than stock. Some more than others.

This is all for now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal Air Filters

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welp.....guess I may as well finish what I started. I never did post the larger air filter I purchased at the end of last year. It's been sitting in the garage so I went in and unwrapped it. Here is a pic of it next to the smaller filter I had originally installed and tested at the track.

I will take a picture of it installed tomorrow as I have the day off. What I plan on doing it testing it against the PRL CAI I will be installing. What I plan on doing is enclosing the big air filter in a box and utilizing the PRL CAI tube. It may not be able to fit because I measured the filter to fill that whole space from the maf sensor to the ECU on the right side. Even if everything does fit, I'll still need to be able to extend the maf sensor further to the left to connect it. It'll all make sense later. I like doing this stuff as I've learned a TON from doing this over the years on all of my other vehicles. And ALL of the intakes I've made made more hp than stock. Some more than others.

BTW: The larger air filter is an S&B air filter. It became a new favorite of mine after testing one on my Toyota RAV4 against a Weapon R Air Filter, on a Weapon R intake. S&B Air Filter vs Weapon R

This is all for now.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im not a fan of Short ram intakes, Due to them just soaking up the hot hair from the engine bay especially at full throttle when they are trying to suck in every bit of air for that maximum power. Just my feelings on short rams though
Understood! However, keep an open mind and change your thinking a little. A short ram intake doesn't have to take in hot air. I made a short ram/CAI for my Honda Fit and drove around like that years. It was the best intake out of all the different ones I made for it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 80-ul5qgu_f8c7c04a902eaffcad921ca295ebf91a0ffc4007

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 80-ayfsqm_9100c07e70a7ea71c93ea4ad429ab003ce5fd46e

Nevermind how ghetto and ugly looking it is. I did it for function and testing purposes. Worked like a charm. Intake temperature was always the same as ambient or only up to 5F more at max. I know this because I tested it out while driving.

I never encouraged anyone to do something like this. I do it because I learn a lot from doing things like this and share it with the community.

Remember, just because it is a short ram does not mean it have to breath in warm air. We are just used to this because this is how manufacturers typically make them. It's quick $$$ to make a short ram.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to show some early spy photos of the big air filter I'll be testing out at some point. Yes, I know the filter is touching part of the car. This isn't ideal. Just showing the general position of the air filter. I'll be enclosing it in a box of sorts that'll be wrapped in aluminum foil (Because I'm cheap). The bottom of the box will have a hole in it that I'll attached to the bottom portion of the PRL CAI I have installed. The air filter on the PRL CAI will be removed that is down below inside the foglight area. This will only be for testing purposes.

The top part of the filter I have some ideas floating around. I would like to utilize the air that would normally be feeding the stock airbox. The bottom of the filter will be in such a way as to prevent heat from rising up to it from the radiator fans. There are a few ways to go about this. When I get back to it, I'll post more. I'm in no rush with this.

The maf sensor wiring will have to be extended as well. Will hopefully get my hands on an extender. I do not like the position of the maf sensor since it will be sitting above the PRL downpipe. The air can be diverted from rising up here. Easy ghetto rigged ways to do this. ;)

Don't look for anything really soon though. Just installed a PRL CAI and plan on testing it against the PRL CAI with the Race maf sensor on it. Need to get a calibration file for the race maf though. L8Rs...

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Big Air Filter 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Big Air Filter 2

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to show some early spy photos of the big air filter I'll be testing out at some point. Yes, I know the filter is touching part of the car. This isn't ideal. Just showing the general position of the air filter. I'll be enclosing it in a box of sorts that'll be wrapped in aluminum foil (Because I'm cheap). The bottom of the box will have a hole in it that I'll attached to the bottom portion of the PRL CAI I have installed.
You installed the PRL CAI? What are your thoughts on it? Feel any increased lag, power,etc?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You installed the PRL CAI? What are your thoughts on it? Feel any increased lag, power,etc?
I haven't driven the car much but in the little time that I have, I feel no difference. Don't sound much diferent either. I have always been horrible at stating what a change in a modification feels like since I'd test it afterwards either on a dyno and/or a track and it would show a different story.

So I just take it to the track and post up numbers these days.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't driven the car much but in the little time that I have, I feel no difference. Don't sound much diferent either. I have always been horrible at stating what a change in a modification feels like since I'd test it afterwards either on a dyno and/or a track and it would show a different story.

So I just take it to the track and post up numbers these days.
Hmmm...maybe cause compared to your modified setup already, there’s not much notable sound difference. That’s cool about the track and look forward to your findings if you test it out.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Short intake vs Long intake. Here's a little experiment for the non-car folks to try to understand why I am trying to make a short intake (with cold air to it of course). Take a straw and cut a small piece of it off. Breath through the long strong by inhaling and exhaling, big deep breaths, quickly. Then take big, deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling through the shorter straw. Pretend you are the engine and the other end of the straw would be the air filter. Notice how much easier it is to breath through the shorter straw? That's how I'm trying to help the engine breath easier (Or in our case, the turbo spool quicker/faster). :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20180717_190646

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Short intake vs Long intake. Here's a little experiment for the non-car folks to try to understand why I am trying to make a short intake (with cold air to it of course). Take a straw and cut a small piece of it off. Breath through the long strong by inhaling and exhaling, big deep breaths, quickly. Then take big, deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling through the shorter straw. Pretend you are the engine and the other end of the straw would be the air filter. Notice how much easier it is to breath through the shorter straw? That's how I'm trying to help the engine breath easier (Or in our case, the turbo spool quicker/faster). :)

20180717_190646.jpg
This would make more sense to me if you put the short intake on the turbo. You still have what is essentially a straw running from the turbo entrance back up over the turbo ending at your assembly. I presume that Honda went that route to use the same engine package in a bunch of different applications, but you don't have that limitation.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted the pic in another thread below but without what I have in mind to make. I don't even have to wait for the race maf as I already have the parts needed now to make this work. I just have to extend the maf sensor wiring to be able to reach the maf in the new location (Closer to the turbo inlet pipe). It will look so ghetto but it'll be fun to test as always. The bottom portion of the Myxal SRI-CAI will lay on a sheet of aluminum foil (Outside of the aluminum foil wrapped box itself). This sheet will spread from the turbo inlet pipe over towards the maf sensor and air filter box enclosure. This will help prevent some/most of the heat from rising from the radiator fan and turbo up to the intake box. I promise to take pics as I make it up. :p

I may also have some air guided in from the grill section to the end of the filter, like it does on the stock setup. Only with the Myxal SRI-CAI, there will be a the aluminum foil beneath to keep the heat from being sucked in that's blowing up from the radiator fan. This is a ??? setup that I may or may not add.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI
Sponsored