Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy

1. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    I saw the same video, not 100% sure if that's the culprit and it's kinda hard to reach without putting the car on a ramp/jack and going from under :(

2. fitter_here

fitter_here Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic LX 2016 Sedan
    The transmission cable seems to be accessible from the top, I don't think you need ramps for this, easy and fast to check

3. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    My arms are too short :(. My transmission feels pretty sturdy so I don't know if there's much I can do about it. I did, however, find that the washer jet cables rattled inside the hood. I've secured them so we'll see if that does anything.

4. Goseki

Goseki Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Touring
    I have a much more minor rattle. It's where the center speaker attaches to. When going over bumpy roads, I hear a little rattle. It goes away when I put my hands on the speaker edge so I'm guessing the seal just isn't good and it's causing the noise. Not sure how to fix it though...

5. OP
    OP
    SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport 6mt
    Sorry, I haven't heard back from dealers I have contacted which is weird. I am just going to have them look at it when I get the oil changed in a few hundred miles.

6. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    Reporting back on something you guys might want to try. Like I mentioned in this thread or another, one of my rattles which sounds like loose plastic in the dash (same sound as the French speaking video posted recently) was very random so I'm not sure if this fixed it or not but I secured the washer fluid hoses under the hood and it might've done it.

1) Pop the hood, and bang right behind the spray nozzles lightly. If you hear a rattle that might be it.
    2) Reach into the area where the felt liner slots in beside the nozzles, you'll feel a hose (get your girlfriend/wife/kids if your fingers are too big or pull the liner out at the slot).
    3) Slide a small zip tie/wire/string into the small round hole right behind the nozzle and tie the hose down.
    4) Check if this fixes the rattle and report back.

I've highlighted the area where the hose runs and the hole where you can zip the the nozzle down. This is not my car, took it from google, should be another CivicX members.

upload_2018-9-15_11-27-50.png

sixhundredcc thanked this.
  7. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    Alright didn't seem to fix it or there is another rattle somewhere else... The search continues.

8. Duncan

Duncan New Member

First Name:
    Duncan
    Car(s):
    Civic 1.5 CVT
    I also have this vibration/resonation issue on my 2018 1.5 CVT CIVIC at about 1600-1750 rpm.
    The car is new.
    The dealer says it's quite normal for rattles and as it only lasts for a few seconds so don't worry about it !!
    They won't do anything....

I'm not happy

9. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    That's ridiculous, if they can reproduce it they should attempt to fix it. If your problem is reproduce-able try another dealer.

10. sixhundredcc

sixhundredcc Member

Car(s):
    17' civic hatchback
    I'm in the same boat. I'm on the second dealer. I've had the tech experience the noise driving and in park. They took my car in and couldn't fix it. They said the noise is doesn't last long enough for them to diagnose and attempt a repair. American Honda also is no help.

I will be getting rid of this car in probably a year from now. Will never buy another Honda again

11. OP
    OP
    SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport 6mt
    Latest update, dealer tech rode with me to duplicate the sound and heard it but they said they still would have to verify the source which could take a day assuming they even can. I’ve noticed the noise is more prominent on hot days or when the car is warm. If they do verify it is the core and replace it they would need to pull the whole dash out which is also a one to two day job. I might look into other ways to fix it but if it gets worse or more prominent I’m going back to the dealer.

civicdota thanked this.
  12. civicdota

civicdota Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T Sedan
    Thx for updates! Appreciate it, definitely an uphill battle on these rattles :(

13. sixhundredcc

sixhundredcc Member

Car(s):
    17' civic hatchback
    Good luck, dealer replaced my heater core and I still have a dash rattle

14. airgas1998

airgas1998 Senior Member

Car(s):
    17' civic touring sedan
    removing the dash will open up a whole different can of worms...ie; new rattles, poor fitment,etc....hope you have a very competent dealership...

15. OP
    OP
    SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport 6mt
    Exactly why I’m hesitant to attempt solving one issue and creating more!