Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I had this exact same rattle and I was waiting on my car to blow up just so I can get insurance money.... it was driving me up the walls! Found the damn source though, right under the steering wheel if you look right under you will see and feel a hose/rubber line. move that and click it and unclip it then re-adjust it. this is 100% the source of that rattle at 2k RPMs! It’s under the steering wheel, look for it and you will find it. Good luck bros

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I had this exact same rattle and I was waiting on my car to blow up just so I can get insurance money.... it was driving me up the walls! Found the damn source though, right under the steering wheel if you look right under you will see and feel a hose/rubber line. move that and click it and unclip it then re-adjust it. this is 100% the source of that rattle at 2k RPMs! It’s under the steering wheel, look for it and you will find it. Good luck bros
The aspirator hose? Unfortunately that's not what is causing mine :(. At least not the black portion that is slightly to the right of the steering wheel. I tried holding it and it still rattles when I have the rattle.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Four screws along the top by the latch for the glove box and then one on each lower corner. Then take off the panel on the right by the door by prying gently. After this panel is off you can see in behind the larger piece where the clips are. Just gently pry and it pops off. Took 5 min.
Hey, just gave this a shot today. Removed the glove box and the trim piece behind the glove box, but I'm not seeing the crescent shaped hollow that you showed in your picture. Are there more pieces that need to come off?

Last edited:

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-2017-hatchback-dash-rattle-thread.9082/
My hatchback has the same symptoms. Two months ago they replaced the heater core. They took the glove box and the trim behind it out, they determined that was the source of the noise while on test drive. Fast forward two months later the same noise is back. Now on the test drive he heard a slight noise from the A-pillar and they says that's the noise traveling to the dash. This noise will never be solved for me

Last edited:

paul c

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic rs
Country flag
Post update if you find yours, I have a CVT that rattles at 1650-1850 (this is the RPM that everything in the car resonates the most for) on cooler days in the dash. Sounds like its coming near the middle behind console/radio but it's hard to tell. Couldn't figure it out for many months and it doesn't always happen which is the mind boggling part.

Found this online ..may help ..
Civic 2017 How resolve noise from dash/ regler bruit tableau bord

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Following.... I have a similar rattle, more like a buzzing sound coming from the same area that comes & goes as I pass over the 3500 rpm mark.
I can live with most rattles but this one is killing me....

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I placed foam tape all around the blue wire that's zip tied to the back side of the dash above where the glove box is. It runs from the fan in the center, along the back side of the dash where the carbon fiber trim piece is (on the SI/R), and ends all the way by the right-most air ducts. This seems to have helped reduce (but not eliminate) many of the buzzing rattles that I was getting.

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
Just doing a google search for "civic dash rattle" there are many forum posts regarding this noise. I thought the noise was fixed after they replace the heater core behind the glove box, now the noise is back.. I discovered something that I can do to recreate the rattle noise. Drove the car for like 20 mins. went inside the store for 5ish minutes. Came back to car started and was leaving the parking lot the rattle noise started up very loud around 1,500-2000 rpms.

This morning I tested the theory again drove 5 minutes. Completed the ride with no noise. Parked, shut car off for 5 minutes. started car back up .. bam rattle noise was there. I went to the honda dealer again after being there yesterday. When I got to the service drive. Shut car off. Same tech came over to inspect. Started the car and started doing the rattle not as loud but it was still there. I said "see its not the A-pillar". The battle is that the noise doesn't stay around for very long. Also sometimes it's very loud and other times its a lower pitch

We agreed to drop the car off Monday morning, since he's off after today till Monday.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Just doing a google search for "civic dash rattle" there are many forum posts regarding this noise. I thought the noise was fixed after they replace the heater core behind the glove box, now the noise is back.. I discovered something that I can do to recreate the rattle noise. Drove the car for like 20 mins. went inside the store for 5ish minutes. Came back to car started and was leaving the parking lot the rattle noise started up very loud around 1,500-2000 rpms.

This morning I tested the theory again drove 5 minutes. Completed the ride with no noise. Parked, shut car off for 5 minutes. started car back up .. bam rattle noise was there. I went to the honda dealer again after being there yesterday. When I got to the service drive. Shut car off. Same tech came over to inspect. Started the car and started doing the rattle not as loud but it was still there. I said "see its not the A-pillar". The battle is that the noise doesn't stay around for very long. Also sometimes it's very loud and other times its a lower pitch

We agreed to drop the car off Monday morning, since he's off after today till Monday.
Please report back if you resolve it!

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-2017-hatchback-dash-rattle-thread.9082/
My hatchback has the same symptoms. Two months ago they replaced the heater core. They took the glove box and the trim behind it out, they determined that was the source of the noise while on test drive. Fast forward two months later the same noise is back. Now on the test drive he heard a slight noise from the A-pillar and they says that's the noise traveling to the dash. This noise will never be solved for me
I’m betting that fixed your first rattle @ now u have a different one.. possible?

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
I’m betting that fixed your first rattle @ now u have a different one.. possible?
Maybe, but its the same noise under the same conditions. Either they didn't diagnose it correct with it being the heater core. It could be something beyond the heater core deeper in the dash.. or maybe under neath the car.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm... bummer. Sounds like heater swap didn’t fix it under same conditions.... next.