My Type R is Officially 1 Year Old - some reflections!

1. Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    Today marks the 1 year anniversary of owning my Type R. For me, it is also the one year anniversary of driving a manual transmission.

It has really been one hell of an adventure owning this car. I made a huge gamble when I decided to move forward with such a big purchase. I really did not have a fallback plan, but I didn’t think I would need one. I was determined to drive this car, no matter what it took.

This is the first year I can say definitively that I have no plans on trading in my car. I have formed a special bond with this car, and not only is it something that serves as a monument to my achievements, it is something that brings me great joy when I am behind the wheel of it. I am a proud owner of my car, as I’m sure many of you are too.

I can’t say that my journey was all smooth sailing, because it wasn’t. I really struggled with learning how to drive a manual transmission, and in the beginning I was questioning my decision to buy this car. I am thankful that I have a good father who was able to teach me my mistakes and accompany me as I practiced driving until I was comfortable enough to take it to work myself. Fast forward 11 months and now I don’t even think or worry about stalling, and I have finally seen why manual transmissions are so special. I don’t confess to be called skilled at driving stick either - I still think my launches are too jerky and my shifts are as well, although I am slowly getting smoother as I drive on.

With that said, I am extremely thankful for all the members and owners here on this forum for supporting me, helping me, and putting up with all my questions on what I was doing wrong. This forum is a gem, and I’m glad to be a member here as well. Hopefully you enjoy my contributions too!

Anyone who is considering buying this car - you will not be disappointed. If you don’t know a thing about driving stick, do it anyways. I think the best way to learn is to force yourself to do it, and if you’re like me and don’t have another form of transportation, well you better learn!

13,500 or so miles later and she still drives like she did when I first got her. We’ll find out in due time how well she will hold up with all the mistakes I’ve made, but I don’t see any reason to worry now. What I know is that I am excited to see what the second year brings and spending more time pushing my car harder and harder to unlock its true potential.

Thank you all - it’s been an amazing year, and I’m sure the next one is going to be even better!!:beer:

A06DC796-61EC-4476-A0FE-CD418E0EAC51.jpeg

5C13A0BF-13ED-496E-BB9D-F8885F264B9E.jpeg

Froggie, dirty_civic, HBKEAZY! and 9 others thanked this.
  2. keatonS

keatonS 2016 Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT

Network Administrator
    First Name:
    Keaton
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
    Im in the same boat as you, waiting a while before pulling the trigger but havent drove a manual for a long time, need to get back to learning

Zeffy94 thanked this.
  3. bobafettm

bobafettm Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 Lotus Exige & 2018 Honda Civic Type R
    13.5k?? Need to step that game up ;) April to March for me and it's nearly 22k!

Glad you still love to drive the vehicle. I agree it's by far the most practical and enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned.

Zeffy94 and 8409_CW thanked this.
  4. 8409_CW

8409_CW Senior Member

First Name:
    Kabir
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 1992 Civic , 2007 RX350
    Nice, I just hit my one year mark recently too and I'm just over 11k. :) Power of Dreams!

Zeffy94 thanked this.
  5. wildbilly32

wildbilly32 Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 Toyota Rav4, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche C4S, 2019 CTR PMM #24184
    Zeffy: As your only car and the pics show you still have the original wheels and tires(?) plus your location I was wondering how gracefully you got through winter with this set-up? BTW congrats!

Zeffy94 thanked this.
  6. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    congrats. I still remember the MT thread you first created lol.

I really need to take mine out for a drive more. it's such a fun car.

Zeffy94 thanked this.
  7. OP
    Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    I am actually running Continental DWS 06 A/S tires on the OEM rims with a 245/35/20 size. They fit without issue, only a small speedo difference. Since the weather is warming up I am going to be changing to a set of summer tires again probably in the next month or two, depending on temperatures.

wildbilly32 thanked this.
  8. wildbilly32

wildbilly32 Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 Toyota Rav4, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche C4S, 2019 CTR PMM #24184
    ...and the Continentals got you through the snow ok?

9. Driveitlikeuboughtit

Driveitlikeuboughtit Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR
    Anything cool in that thing from Honda? Or is it literally just that - a note?

10. OP
    Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    So long as you know what you are doing they will do the job.

Just a card, with a sweet little note on the inside and a personalized web page URL that shows you things like owners manual, VIN number, etc.

wildbilly32 thanked this.
  11. .grimace

.grimace Senior Member

First Name:
    Byron
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2014 911 4S, 2016 Cayenne GTS
    Congrats and glad you made the leap, learning a manual really isn't all that bad. After a week or two I assume it was pretty easy to you?

12. FifStreet

FifStreet Senior Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    '18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
    Well said sir. The CTR is my first ever manual car too. I love the car.. and I love this forum as well. Lots of helpful people here.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

toddrhodes and Zeffy94 thanked this.
  13. OP
    Zeffy94

Zeffy94 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    More like a month or two before I felt like I wouldn’t stall at least once per commute. I am glad I made the leap though, and looking back at it I think I just over complicated things which made it more difficult for me to learn.

14. Abdool

Abdool Senior Member

First Name:
    abdool
    Car(s):
    2018 honda civic touring
    Ho how much km u put in that year?

15. diakonia

diakonia Senior Member

Printer / Photographer
    First Name:
    Alan
    Car(s):
    Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
    Congratulations! I just hit one year in January (8000 mikes)... And thanks to you, I followed your recomendation and bought the same Continental DWS AS tires. The 35 profile has been great. Now when I hit minor potholes, etc. it is much more forgiving. And a big thanks because I can now drive my car any day I want no matter how cold it is. I used to have to schedule my CTR drive time per the days temperature. FREEDOM! I only wish I would have bought these tires on day 2. Alan

Zeffy94 thanked this.